Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #21
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So after the procedure is done, do you have to wait a month or two and take a soldier test to ensure fertile super powers are gone?
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finny61 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #22
mrvee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
So after the procedure is done, do you have to wait a month or two and take a soldier test to ensure fertile super powers are gone?
When i had mine done i preshaved and gotten a topical ointment to numb the sack.
I was in and out 7 minutes,The Vasman said it was a record.
I have a microscope so i did my own testing.Took about 3 weeks before the last soldiers disappeared.Go for a consultation before hand.
mrvee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
You are supposed to wait 2-3 months and/or 30 "pipe cleanings". Then you take a sample to the lab, and the results get back in a day or so before any doctor will say you are "soldier free".

Before that test result, the doctor will tell you to act as if you still have fertile super powers.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #24
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

had mine done at the 4th street clinic. They used an air gun type thing to administer the anesthetic directly through the skin - weird but way better than a needle. The rest was routine.

Keep this in mind - no matter, this is 100x less than your wife went through giving birth. Just do it.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another satisfied customer of the Vasman here. Had it done about two weeks after our second daughter was born this year.

In and out in 20 minutes, tops. The most discomfort was just after getting the freezing shots, that's just not a fun place to get needles. Kind of surreal laying on the table having normal conversations with a guy while he is taking care of business down there.

Just had a dull aching sensation afterwards, unfortunately I pushed it at work the next day and caused some minor internal bleeding. I went and saw my GP and they gave me a prescription of antibiotics to clear it up. After about another week I was all good.

I think mentally you stay aware of the area for a lot longer than it actually aches/hurts, and a lot of it is phantom pain past a certain point. Eventually you just forget about what you had done and before you know it you are getting the all clear from your doctor on the sperm count.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #26
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks so much for the replies and even the PMs. You guys are freaking phenomenal.
I'm long overdue to get this done.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I, like everyone else in this thread, went to Vasman as well. I had an odd experience. He for some reason couldn't freeze the left side and it was extermley painful (I guess this is rare). Felt like someone kicking you over and over in the balls and then pulling out all your insides through your sac.

Good news is that the right side I felt nothing.

Recovery was fast and pretty easy.
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is also worth noting that at Vasman there is only Dr. Nadori now, apparently a couple of weeks before my appointment Dr. Popowich had really messed up his back, and had to finally stop practicing. So Dr. Nadori has taken over the practice from him full time, this was always the plan (as their website says) but the time frame got bumped up.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I might just go get this done without the wife knowing. Perhaps just pretend we have fertile issues and cannot have anymore kids. I say this as my daughter got a terrible stomach bug on Sunday and now has an ear infection. Sleep? What is that.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I might just go get this done without the wife knowing. Perhaps just pretend we have fertile issues and cannot have anymore kids. I say this as my daughter got a terrible stomach bug on Sunday and now has an ear infection. Sleep? What is that.
The doctor will require a signed letter from your wife stating that she's ok with it.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The doctor will require a signed letter from your wife stating that she's ok with it.
The Vasman didn't. In fact a lot of guys at work that had it done kept telling me that the doctor was going to grill you pretty hard about making this decision, trying to make sure that any doubt that may be there would be dealt with before they started the procedure.

Instead it was into the procedure room, a little 5 minute chat about what he was going to do and then we were off and running.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The Vasman didn't. In fact a lot of guys at work that had it done kept telling me that the doctor was going to grill you pretty hard about making this decision, trying to make sure that any doubt that may be there would be dealt with before they started the procedure.

Instead it was into the procedure room, a little 5 minute chat about what he was going to do and then we were off and running.
IMO, that's pretty unethical.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #33
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about that, I'm thinking the whole "My body, my choice" thing comes into play. Of course someone sneaking around behind their wife's back and getting it done and then feigning sterility is a pretty bad idea. Definitely a choice that both parties should be part of (even if not legally required).
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the clinic I went to, happens to also be my family doctor. Since many people have commented that the needle is the worst part I will repeat what I said above - these guys don't use needles.

http://www.vasectomyclinic.ca/cgi-bin/cms?pageid=4
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
IMO, that's pretty unethical.
Do women need the potential Father's permission before deciding to get an Abortion? No.

Should be treated in the same way IMHO.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I don't know about that, I'm thinking the whole "My body, my choice" thing comes into play. Of course someone sneaking around behind their wife's back and getting it done and then feigning sterility is a pretty bad idea. Definitely a choice that both parties should be part of (even if not legally required).
I assume the unethical thing was about the grilling the guys in the early part of the story.

Because there is nothing unethical at all about what happened in the second instance and is exactly what should happen.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps you are correct, I guess we need YNAT to clarify what he thought was unethical. A doctor grilling you to make sure you've really made up your mind to get the vasectomy done, or not asking me anything before doing it.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Vasman even had a license plate in his office saying 'Vasman", kind of reminded me of the Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the Assman plate. the anticipation of the appt. was probably worse than the procedure itself.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I think the doctor's responsibility at the very least should recommend to you (if you are married) that your wife should be on board, and know that you are getting it done.

Doing it without asking questions at all, is something that shouldn't happen. Maybe unethical is the wrong word.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #40
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Did you actually hear of a place that requires the womans signature?
My wife had to sign something for mine.