Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2024, 09:05 AM   #381
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I popped those 2 400mg in total, and I was out by 11 I think maybe earlier. Didn't wake up once until my alarm went off and was still sleepy lol.

I will contribute this too the crappy sleep the night before as well. Let's see how it goes tonight.

And yes I meant Indica in da couch. I found it actually helps, but I don't want to be dependent on that. Plus Magnesium is good for other things as well.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 09:16 AM   #382
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This was a note from a podcast summary and I tried it last night when I woke up in the middle of the night. It worked for me this time, at least.

4. Do NOT count sheep, instead take yourself on a mental walk: counting sheep actually makes you stay awake longer; instead, get your mind off itself by going through a rudimentary walk with hyper-detail – imagine putting your shoes on, opening the door, crossing the street, imagine the signs you see, look at the flowers, etc.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:20 AM   #383
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You want to know real Hell? I challenge any Theologian to dispute this but I firmly believe real Hell exists in my mind.

I dreamt of Tax Returns.

I walked in to my office this morning, fired up the computer and started in on returns and thought to myself...

"What? I did these already."

In. My. Dreams.

Thats Hell folks. Thats what it is. Right there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 11:52 AM   #384
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You want to know real Hell? I challenge any Theologian to dispute this but I firmly believe real Hell exists in my mind.

I dreamt of Tax Returns.

I walked in to my office this morning, fired up the computer and started in on returns and thought to myself...

In. My. Dreams.

Beats dreaming about writing the UFE for decades afterward, though.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 12:37 PM   #385
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I dreamt of Tax Returns.

In. My. Dreams.

My last dream at 4:00 am is usually about some document or form I have to prepare. Then I realize it is not real, and start worrying about my actual files.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:41 PM   #386
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My last dream at 4:00 am is usually about some document or form I have to prepare. Then I realize it is not real, and start worrying about my actual files.
X or Rockford?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:35 PM   #387
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I woke up twice last night but I think it was because of the wild wind.

Let’s see how tonight goes. 2 pills down.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:45 PM   #388
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For folks trying melatonin, I would try it in liquid form. The body absorbs it more easily.
Take it 30-60 minutes before bed, and makes sure when you do, you turn off all lights and get off your screens. You can also try blue light blocking glasses - those were a game changers for me. Melatonin can be effective but it has to be used correctly.

On the drug side, I took zoplicone for a few years, and found it left me often with a big head ache the next take. A few years ago I shifted to Zolpidem which can be more effective for insomnia that is sleep onset (less effective for insomnia where you are waking up and not abel to get back to sleep). It also gets out of your system faster. Most doctors prescribe Zoplicone but Zolpidem is way better for me.

TLDR: "Ask your doctor about Zolpidem".
Where do you buy liquid for melatonin? I've never seen that before.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 05:39 AM   #389
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Magnesium-L-Threonate pills have actually been helping. I woke up once to pee at 1:30 and that would have been the end of my sleeping before. I was actually able to go back to sleep! And quickly, not an hour or more later. I'm pretty freaking pumped about this. Anyone not sleeping well should absolutely try this. What have you got to lose?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:04 AM   #390
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
Magnesium-L-Threonate pills have actually been helping. I woke up once to pee at 1:30 and that would have been the end of my sleeping before. I was actually able to go back to sleep! And quickly, not an hour or more later. I'm pretty freaking pumped about this. Anyone not sleeping well should absolutely try this. What have you got to lose?
How is this different from the bis-glycinate?

I’ve been having deep sleeps. Last night was deep went to piss at 230 went to bed woke up and was fresh. Yesterday I was a bit tired.

My only issues is if I want sleep early. My body and mind are not used to it at all.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:08 AM   #391
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
How is this different from the bis-glycinate?

I’ve been having deep sleeps. Last night was deep went to piss at 230 went to bed woke up and was fresh. Yesterday I was a bit tired.

My only issues is if I want sleep early. My body and mind are not used to it at all.
No idea the difference. I saw someone recommended it in here and I was so desperate for sleep I was willing to try anything short of In Da Couch and a pistol.

I've tried melatonin, 10mg sublingual. Helps get me to sleep, but once I'm up then I'm up. Tried reishi mushrooms, tried regular old magnesium (which I found out here was not the right stuff) and none of it helped me stay asleep.

This stuff is actually helping me be tired enough to go back to sleep instead of staying awake with an active mind after waking up, usually because I'm old and had to piss.
Results are the final judge, and this has really really helped. No side effects thus far. I'm really pleased.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:53 PM   #392
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Where do you buy liquid for melatonin? I've never seen that before.
Shoppers. Jamieson brand.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #393
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Shoppers. Jamieson brand.
Yeah, Jameson brand helps me sleep too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-18-2024, 03:51 PM   #394
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably worth summarizing a few points here.

A risk free and demonstrably effective thing to try first is sleep hygiene. Essentially, a set of habits that are useful for healthy sleep: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/me...-sleep-hygiene

As for over the counter medication, there's really only one and that's diphenhydramine which is in Zzquil, Unisom, Sleep Ez, etc. It's just benadryl. It makes you tired but has some drawbacks. 1) Tachyphylaxis - effects are minimized as you take it more rendering it less effective, 2) dry mouth and constipation as it uses it's anticholinergic properties to make you tired, those same properties cause these side effects, 3) paradoxical excitation - some people (usually children) are actually stimulated not sedated by it's effects, 4) regular use has been linked to dementia later in life.

There's a crap ton of natural health products for sleep as it's an unregulated marketplace with a giant desperate market and a condition that is uniquely susceptible to placebo effects. Melatonin has some decent evidence for effectiveness, but many people find no effect. Magnesium has conflicting evidence on effectiveness, especially in different age groups. This may be due to differing salt forms, differing doses, and different populations. The more magnesium in the bowels, the more water it pulls in and that exerts a laxative effect. Higher absorption magnesium salts are absorbed faster and lead to less magnesium left in the bowels which means less laxative effect and more absorption for your medical need. Magnesium is the 4th most abundant mineral in your body so it's hard to overdose (though you definitely can!). In deficiency, some B vitamins, iron, and magnesium will help insomnia, but only if it's due to those deficiencies which are easy to test for.

As for medications, I've seen since discussion on zopiclone and zolpidem. Both of these medications are not really recommended for regular use due to a) Tachyphylaxis, b) high risk of dependence and sometimes addiction, and c) a lot of reports of anterograde amnesia. Both a) and b) lead to a situation where regular use may actually worsen insomnia. Think of it with an example like this: you take zopiclone on the first night you get it. You sleep 7 hours and feel great. Three to six months in and your sleep is now 5 to 6 hours but still better quality than before. The trouble is, without zopiclone you now only sleep 1 or 2 hours. In another few months you're almost back to where you started except no sleep without it. Has it really helped you then? Ideally, it's used a couple days here or there or 3 to 4 days to get back into regular sleep rhythms. It is in the same family as Ativan , Valium, and Xanax and suffers from that same risk of addiction. I also saw gabapentin recommended but it's not even second line recommendation. At low doses (3-600mg) it's "virtually" side effect free but I have patients on 1200mg three times daily for nerve pain and still need sleeping pills. It's very hit and miss. Trazodone and amitriptyline are both effective sleeping pills but do have those pesky anticholinergic side effects I mentioned earlier.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly: get tested for apnea if you're a snorer. Oftentimes walking up with a racing heart rate is because you stopped breathing and your scary dream was a response to the lack of oxygen not the cause of you waking up. This is dangerous long term and treatable
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 08:52 PM   #395
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Good post Salmon Pharm!

Did my sleep apnea test last night. Results in two weeks.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 PM   #396
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unisom is actually doxylamine which is an antihistamine but isn’t Benadryl. It is generally stronger than diphenhydramine. The hangover is also worse than the other OTC sleep aids.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:58 PM   #397
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Unisom is actually doxylamine which is an antihistamine but isn’t Benadryl. It is generally stronger than diphenhydramine. The hangover is also worse than the other OTC sleep aids.
In the states Unisom is doxylamine, here it's just diphenhydramine. There was Unisom II for a while but it disappeared. Doxylamine has a longer duration of action which means you can still be quite tired 8-10 hours later.

Interestingly or not, doxylamine is the active ingredient in Diclectin which is given to pregnant moms for nausea. Nothing like making a nauseous tired pregnant woman even more tired
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:15 PM   #398
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
In the states Unisom is doxylamine, here it's just diphenhydramine. There was Unisom II for a while but it disappeared. Doxylamine has a longer duration of action which means you can still be quite tired 8-10 hours later.

Interestingly or not, doxylamine is the active ingredient in Diclectin which is given to pregnant moms for nausea. Nothing like making a nauseous tired pregnant woman even more tired
Yes. I'm sure some of this was even in English.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: