Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2024, 10:58 PM   #11021
timun
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Honestly I wrote 'maybe' there because it's an ongoing thing that I haven't had the energy to do any of my own digging into, and the Conservative rhetoric about it is so melodramatic that I haven't been paying attention to the goings-on around it. All I know is that the AG released an investigative report that said the spending couldn't be accounted for—and yes, that's very bad—and that's been followed by an onslaught of Conservative propaganda calling it "ArriveScam", and Skippy said this is why the government shouldn't outsource work to the private sector, but he's also said that the civil service is too big and they should farm work out to the private sector because private sector businesses are more efficient than lazy government workers with fat pensions, blah blah blah blee blee blah blah.

It's so caught up in the current political spin cycle I honestly don't care about it right now, although I will eventually read up about it later and it's almost certainly going to be a good example of scope creep run amok and substantially overblown.

That said, it goes to the heart of "every god-damned penny should be accounted for". I agree that spending should be accounted for, and I agree that it's an ongoing problem with the Liberal government. However, there's a big difference between "accounted for" and "scandalized". E.g., the next-gen ePassport program as previously discussed.

Again, if everything the Liberals do the Conservatives say it's a scandal, then there are no scandals.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:25 AM   #11022
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Doctorfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Honestly I wrote 'maybe' there because it's an ongoing thing that I haven't had the energy to do any of my own digging into, and the Conservative rhetoric about it is so melodramatic that I haven't been paying attention to the goings-on around it. All I know is that the AG released an investigative report that said the spending couldn't be accounted for—and yes, that's very bad—and that's been followed by an onslaught of Conservative propaganda calling it "ArriveScam", and Skippy said this is why the government shouldn't outsource work to the private sector, but he's also said that the civil service is too big and they should farm work out to the private sector because private sector businesses are more efficient than lazy government workers with fat pensions, blah blah blah blee blee blah blah.

It's so caught up in the current political spin cycle I honestly don't care about it right now, although I will eventually read up about it later and it's almost certainly going to be a good example of scope creep run amok and substantially overblown.

That said, it goes to the heart of "every god-damned penny should be accounted for". I agree that spending should be accounted for, and I agree that it's an ongoing problem with the Liberal government. However, there's a big difference between "accounted for" and "scandalized". E.g., the next-gen ePassport program as previously discussed.

Again, if everything the Liberals do the Conservatives say it's a scandal, then there are no scandals.
The bolded won’t age well.

To be fair, everyone from all political landscapes are getting tired of the scandals. I know I am. It’s always in the news cycles because there are so many scandals.
__________________
____________________________________________
Doctorfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doctorfever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 05:51 AM   #11023
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Honestly I wrote 'maybe' there because it's an ongoing thing that I haven't had the energy to do any of my own digging into, and the Conservative rhetoric about it is so melodramatic that I haven't been paying attention to the goings-on around it. All I know is that the AG released an investigative report that said the spending couldn't be accounted for—and yes, that's very bad—and that's been followed by an onslaught of Conservative propaganda calling it "ArriveScam", and Skippy said this is why the government shouldn't outsource work to the private sector, but he's also said that the civil service is too big and they should farm work out to the private sector because private sector businesses are more efficient than lazy government workers with fat pensions, blah blah blah blee blee blah blah.

It's so caught up in the current political spin cycle I honestly don't care about it right now, although I will eventually read up about it later and it's almost certainly going to be a good example of scope creep run amok and substantially overblown.

That said, it goes to the heart of "every god-damned penny should be accounted for". I agree that spending should be accounted for, and I agree that it's an ongoing problem with the Liberal government. However, there's a big difference between "accounted for" and "scandalized". E.g., the next-gen ePassport program as previously discussed.

Again, if everything the Liberals do the Conservatives say it's a scandal, then there are no scandals.
Rhetoric?

I mean its a full blown scandal at this point that even the PM is saying is an issue.

But hey, we'll wait till you 'dig into it.'
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:56 AM   #11024
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
The bolded won’t age well.

To be fair, everyone from all political landscapes are getting tired of the scandals. I know I am. It’s always in the news cycles because there are so many scandals.
You have it all wrong.

Its only in the news because of Conservative rhetoric.

Has nothing to do with hundreds of millions being sent to a company that is shady as ####. Which of course doesn't take that much effort to 'dig into' to actual realize.

So I guess now we see how the average Liberal voter works. Got time to explain to everyone why spending hundreds of millions on passport redesign is a good 'bang for our buck.' But no time to 'dig into' what the big deal is about the latest Liberal scandal. Can it get anymore pathetic?

Remember, its all just....

"incessant whining about government spending."

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:53 AM   #11025
timun
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
The bolded won’t age well.

To be fair, everyone from all political landscapes are getting tired of the scandals. I know I am. It’s always in the news cycles because there are so many scandals.
It might not age well! And I'm fine with that. I'm fine with saying "I've tuned out the circus around this issue, and when things settle out I'll come to my own conclusion about it after better informing myself."

You say "it's always in the news cycles because there are so many scandals," and i just shake my head... You seem to be missing the point of "if everything's a scandal, nothing's a scandal" entirely. Experience—like the discussion about the passports on the previous pages—has shown me that right-wing media blow everything the Liberals do into a "scandal" whether it's true or not, and often is not true whatsoever. (Like the passports thing.) So, I don't believe them. Or at least I don't take them at face value.

Again, this goes back to the old posts I quoted, that it's a "boy-who-cried-wolf" thing. When everything is a scandal, nothing is a scandal. When Conservative opposition calls for ministers to resign all the time, then none of them should resign. Conservatives are so trigger-happy about scandalizing everything the Liberals do it falls on entirely deaf ears for me. Like, are we still talking about Justin Trudeau's socks? Postmedia editorials were still blabbering about his socks as recently as... October? November?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 08:58 AM   #11026
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Good lord you are delusional. So $250 million going to a shady company where even the PM acknowledges there is an issue is 'not true whatsoever', and akin to 'Justin Trudeau's socks' which nobody on here has mentioned, ever?

I know you have me blocked, which I guess is how life works in Liberal fantasy land.

I really wonder what the current government would have to do before Liberal diehards like Timun would acknowledge there is an issue.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:36 AM   #11027
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Honestly I wrote 'maybe' there because it's an ongoing thing that I haven't had the energy to do any of my own digging into, and the Conservative rhetoric about it is so melodramatic that I haven't been paying attention to the goings-on around it. All I know is that the AG released an investigative report that said the spending couldn't be accounted for—and yes, that's very bad—and that's been followed by an onslaught of Conservative propaganda calling it "ArriveScam", and Skippy said this is why the government shouldn't outsource work to the private sector, but he's also said that the civil service is too big and they should farm work out to the private sector because private sector businesses are more efficient than lazy government workers with fat pensions, blah blah blah blee blee blah blah.

It's so caught up in the current political spin cycle I honestly don't care about it right now, although I will eventually read up about it later and it's almost certainly going to be a good example of scope creep run amok and substantially overblown.

That said, it goes to the heart of "every god-damned penny should be accounted for". I agree that spending should be accounted for, and I agree that it's an ongoing problem with the Liberal government. However, there's a big difference between "accounted for" and "scandalized". E.g., the next-gen ePassport program as previously discussed.

Again, if everything the Liberals do the Conservatives say it's a scandal, then there are no scandals.
It's really hard to take such posts for face value as anything but partisan when you call Poilievre Skippy and more upset of Conservative "propaganda" popularizing the term "ArriveScam" (a throwback to yet another previous famous Liberal scandal) than upset at the actual scandal. And I even thanked your passport post which I agree with and had a drafted post to thank you for the thorough information.

The passport program has never been a scandal (for one, the program under Harper went 70$ million over budget as well, would be throwing a rock in a glass house). It hasn't made news outside of when the design was revealed which caused some controversy on design choices. Bloat and cost overruns aren't inherently scandals. You can most certainly question where the money went and this is important in a transparent government and people being cynical is natural. Someone pointing out the high cost of the passport program is no different than pointing out the cost overruns to the Trans Mountain pipeline, or the cost overruns of the F-35's, or the cost overruns of Phoenix, or the cost overruns of the Flames arena that are sure to happen. That doesn't turn them into scandals as you are trying to pigeonhole.

As for complaining about conservative rhetoric, they are in politics and will hammer down on issues that matter to Canadians or will cause outrage at the current government. The current motto is "Not worth the cost" which is being drilled down any chance they can. Have you not paid attention to what Liberals are doing these days in terms of rhetoric?

You also appear to be blatantly downplaying the AG's report who stated “glaring disregard” and her ballpark figure is higher than the one that Conservatives previously quoted. Attention on the app was further scrutinized not because of Conservative propaganda, but because Botler made an official complaint of shady contract practices involving said agencies and companies who happen to be also linked to ArriveCAN. Are you claiming that Botler is in cahoots with Conservatives propaganda?

Have you seen GCStrategies head office address?.

For someone so quick to come to the defense of the passport contract, I am sure we would all agree we would love you to do the same for this one which is far more controversial, especially if it's motivation to sock it to the Cons and Skippy.

Last edited by Firebot; 02-21-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:38 AM   #11028
powderjunkie
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Good lord you are delusional. So $250 million going to a shady company where even the PM acknowledges there is an issue is 'not true whatsoever', and akin to 'Justin Trudeau's socks' which nobody on here has mentioned, ever?

I know you have me blocked, which I guess is how life works in Liberal fantasy land.

I really wonder what the current government would have to do before Liberal diehards like Timun would acknowledge there is an issue.
Timun very clearly stated that he is not rushing to judgment without actually looking at the facts here, and his "not true whatsoever" line was about the perpetual scandal cycle in general, not this particular scandal.

I also see no reason to believe timun is a liberal supporter. Just seems like a dude who likes to think critically with actual evidence.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:04 AM   #11029
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
The federal government is cutting the amount of financial relief small businesses will receive from carbon pricing revenues so it can increase the size of the rebate it is providing to rural families.

That's despite the fact the government still owes businesses more than $2.5 billion in promised carbon pricing revenues from the first five years of the program — and refuses to say when that money will flow.

That failure to launch prompted Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to promise a new system to distribute the $2.5 billion owed to small businesses for the first five years of carbon pricing.

That plan, announced in 2022, was to target businesses in "emissions-intensive and trade-exposed sectors," but those have not yet been defined. Beyond the shrinking share of the pie, no additional details have been released.

Environment Canada would provide no details when asked about the $2.5 billion promise earlier this month.

"The government of Canada is working hard to launch these fuel charge return programs," the department said in an emailed statement.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fed...sess-1.7120443
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:18 AM   #11030
Dogbert
First Line Centre
 
Dogbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Exp:
Default

In other news, the party that's pro-personal freedom and anti-government overreach wants you to show your face and/or personal information every time you jerk off.

I'm sure that Poilievre's overwhelmingly male support base will be thrilled about this.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:24 AM   #11031
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
In other news, the party that's pro-personal freedom and anti-government overreach wants you to show your face and/or personal information every time you jerk off.

I'm sure that Poilievre's overwhelmingly male support base will be thrilled about this.
The NDP also voted for it. Liberal argument was that it did not do enough.

It's a very stupid policy / bill that fully caters to the social branch.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:30 AM   #11032
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Exp:
Default

When the pornstars can see you as well as you see them you may earn a participation medal.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:37 AM   #11033
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Yeah sure I bet that'll work great, just like it's really easy to prevent pirating TV shows on the internet. No chance this will be easily circumnavigated in like ten seconds.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:51 AM   #11034
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
When the pornstars can see you as well as you see them you may earn a participation medal.
Already got mine.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 11:00 AM   #11035
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
In other news, the party that's pro-personal freedom and anti-government overreach wants you to show your face and/or personal information every time you jerk off.

I'm sure that Poilievre's overwhelmingly male support base will be thrilled about this.
Glad to see they're targeting the hard issues.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:15 AM   #11036
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
In other news, the party that's pro-personal freedom and anti-government overreach wants you to show your face and/or personal information every time you jerk off.

I'm sure that Poilievre's overwhelmingly male support base will be thrilled about this.
The NDP also voted for it. Liberal argument was that it did not do enough.

It's a very stupid policy / bill that fully caters to the social branch.
Conservatives: We have a really sh-tty, regressive idea!
NDP: We like it!
Liberals: Oh yeah? Well it's not sh-tty and regressive enough for our liking!

Are these people insane? Where's the one sensible adult to stand up and say "Are you idiots out of your minds?"
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 11:19 AM   #11037
iggy_oi
Franchise Player
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Are these people insane? Where's the one sensible adult to stand up and say "Are you idiots out of your minds?"
TikTok told me that was supposed to be Pierre. Did TikTok lie to me?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM   #11038
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback
 
aaronck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Trudeau was on the Jesperson show today- I don't think it will change anyone's mind here when it comes to who to vote for, but compare this interview to the one he did with Danielle Smith to see how well spoken, calm and how he takes responsibility for things including his low polling numbers. I think the questions were good and not just softballs. DS was defensive, didn't answer any tough questions that I recall, and spread blame around to everyone but herself and her government.

I hope that PP shows up as well, would love to compare the 2



aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:07 PM   #11039
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Trudeau was on the Jesperson show today- I don't think it will change anyone's mind here when it comes to who to vote for, but compare this interview to the one he did with Danielle Smith to see how well spoken, calm and how he takes responsibility for things including his low polling numbers. I think the questions were good and not just softballs. DS was defensive, didn't answer any tough questions that I recall, and spread blame around to everyone but herself and her government.

I hope that PP shows up as well, would love to compare the 2



As someone who has done a lot of public speaking, I often judge politicians on how well they can do it, as its an important part of the job.

I'll preface this with: I haven't watched that video yet.

But things like, George W. Bush was, I am still convinced, entirely illiterate.

Trudeau is an awful public speaker. Awful. "Water boxes??" But he can read. He can deliver a speech. He's pretty monotone but its okay.

Poilievre is okay...he can handle questions, he can deliver a speech, but not in any really convincing manner.

Danielle Smith? That lady's brain is like a bag of cats. You can see the 'Crazy' just wafting off of her in waves, and her public demeanor? She needs one of those coats that gets buckled up from the back and I'd be amenable to some sort of gag.

Not the 'Hannibal Lector' kind because he can still talk, something that will solve that problem.

I have no idea how that lady hosted a radio show that people actually listened to because she is...awful.

I want to put her head under water until the bubbles stop.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:18 PM   #11040
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Trudeau is a lot better when not reading from a script. It's way worse he's reading remarks and he goes slow and sounds patronizing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 AM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021