Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #21
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey all, just got back home from Banff after a ridiculously long and intense day. We are very thankful to be safe and home and in our own beds, knowing that many families are not that lucky today.

I'll try my best to answer some questions about the incident in this thread, so here goes nothing.

RE: Seatblets, no there are no seatbelts on these things, but the fastest they go is about 5 km/h. Honestly, they crawl along the road in 20psi 5 foot tall tires so I don't think the seatbelts were ever mandatory for them. With that all said, my wife and I instantly noticed that there were no seatbelts right after we witnessed the crash. Honestly, it probably would have saved some lives or made injuries less critical if there were seatbelts available and mandatory

The capacity was maxed out at 26 due to social distancing measures, so almost half capacity.

No matter what you read about it in the press, there was no rockslide. I watched the whole thing out of my window as I was gazing toward the 33 degree incline that we were waiting to go up (and incidentally that coach in question was coming down that incline trying to descent towards the glacier).

They seemingly lost power to their transmission or something and started careening down the face of the incline towards the glacier, but there is a slight S bend to the road and the driver must have lost control and hit the embankment then rolled down the slope of the hill/cliff. The reason why I say transmission and not brakes is because we were probably in 1st gear highly revved coming down the hill when we did it, crawling at about 1 km/hr down the slope, and the same on the way back when we were finally allowed to go back to the visitor's centre around 7pm

We were told on the bus by Pursuit representatives that there was a "medical emergency" with the driver, and we later found out that the driver was killed instantly in the incident.

Anyway, been a long day, going to log off.

Stay safe and kiss your loved ones folks!

Last edited by Envitro; 07-18-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 88 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
3thirty, Acey, agulati, Amethyst, Bagor, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Biff, bigtmac19, bob-loblaw, brocoli, Buff, burn_this_city, calgarybornnraised, chummer, craigwd, CrazyCaper, CrunchBite, CRXguy, cupofjoe, dammage79, Dion, DoubleK, DownhillGoat, DownInFlames, Ducay, Duruss, firebug, flamesfan1297, FLAMESRULE, greyshep, Harry Lime, hmmhmmcamo, HockeyKhan, Huntingwhale, indes, Itse, jayswin, KootenayFlamesFan, LChoy, Looch City, M*A*S*H 4077, mac_82, Mass_nerder, Mazrim, MBates, Mightyfire89, mikephoen, Minnie, missdpuck, Misterpants, mivdo, MoneyGuy, OldSam, PaperBagger'14, photon, powderjunkie, psyang, Red Ice Player, red sky, Red Slinger, redflamesfan08, Robo, Rubber Ducky, Ryan Coke, Sainters7, sec304, Slacker, Slanter, Slava, Sliver, Snuffleupagus, Swift, The Big Chill, The Familia, TheScorpion, Thor, Titan, Tsawwassen, tvp2003, verda13, White Out 403, WhiteTiger, woob, wookster, Yoho, You Need a Thneed
Old 07-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #22
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

God, this is awful news to wake up to
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #23
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

So glad you made it home safe Envitro.

R.I.P. to those who didn't make it out of the crash, and wishes for a speedy recovery for those who did.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #24
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That is so scary, glad you are safe though.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #25
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driver wasn't killed but she's in critical condition.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #26
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I just heard that update. It's great that she survived, hopefully she can recall what happened and help with the investigation.

Thanks for the update!
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #27
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
RCMP reporting 3 fatalities so far.

Did Brewsters change their name/sell out? News says the company is Pursuit (Collection)?
"Two women in their 20s, one from Alberta, one from Saskatchewan, and a man in his 50s from India, have been identified as the people killed Saturday when a tour bus rolled on the Columbia Icefield between Jasper and Banff, Alta., RCMP said Monday. Jasper RCMP said the victims were a 28-year-old woman from Edmonton, a 24-year-old woman from Canoe Narrows, Sask., and a 58-year-old man from India. They said next of kin have been notified and the names of the victims will not be released.

CBC News confirmed on Monday that Dionne Jocelyn Durocher was the woman from Saskatchewan who died, after speaking to Durocher's boyfriend, Devon Ernest."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ndia-1.5656337

Pursuit is owned by Viad corp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viad#Pursuit
Old 07-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
No matter what you read about it in the press, there was no rockslide. I watched the whole thing out of my window as I was gazing toward the 33 degree incline that we were waiting to go up (and incidentally that coach in question was coming down that incline trying to descent towards the glacier).
Very scary what you saw and you're correct. https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-three-victims