Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Poker

Any big CP poker players out there? I've been playing online semi-seriously for years and taken it to the next level since Covid started, and it's been a blast. In the midst of a pretty serious downswing at the moment which has been a little rough but we'll push through it... lovely game overall.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've played a regular game with friends for years, and have recently tried online again. This will be a third shot at online poker, and I usually end up abandoning for the same reason every time.

I've seen enough cards fall over time to understand that there is something in the algorithm that creates a kind of 'gravity' for dealt hands. An example would be that in the real world, going runner runner is a very rare thing, but online people actually play to this outcome. That's fine, but it's a different game and I like in person playing better.

I often wonder if you learn online if you would have tells all over the place?

In the meantime, online is just fake money for me.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

With a name like MonsieurFish, I'm guessing you are popular at the poker table.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I play in a league here in town that regularly sends players to the WSOP main event. Unfortunately we have been on hold due to COVID.

Play online a little bit doesn't really do it for me like live does.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Playing Hold Em over and over is such a grind. I always preferred the variety of Dealer's Choice. I'm not a serious player, just for fun.

Hold Em nights with friends could be annoying - one shark easily taking their friends' money. Congrats, you played thousands of hands on-line, and took our $20 with no problem! What fun.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've played online and in person for 20 years. I've been playing on Pokerstars lately making some decent cash in cash games but my favorite is tournament play. The Daniel Negreanu poker masterclass has some really good info no matter what level you are at.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Playing Hold Em over and over is such a grind. I always preferred the variety of Dealer's Choice. I'm not a serious player, just for fun.

Hold Em nights with friends could be annoying - one shark easily taking their friends' money. Congrats, you played thousands of hands on-line, and took our $20 with no problem! What fun.
Being mr serious poker to take your friends money is no fun in a friendly fun game. I usually use those to play a bit crazy and loose just to have fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Being mr serious poker to take your friends money is no fun in a friendly fun game. I usually use those to play a bit crazy and loose just to have fun.
Yep. agreed. Or just get really drunk and try and keep up! Haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
It can be a real dick-measuring contest too if there are a few serious players at the table. Their whole self esteem seems wrapped up in winning all the chips.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It can be a real dick-measuring contest too if there are a few serious players at the table. Their whole self esteem seems wrapped up in winning all the chips.
hahaha so true. I have a friend like this. They are a mediocre player but take it so seriously at a fun game for $5. I always just screw with them for fun.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been playing almost 20 years. Have played the WSOP main event twice. Was going to play other events this year, but covid cancelled that trip. Have been fooling around on micro-stakes at Poker Stars just to fool around with some concepts and get reps in. Can't wait to play live again.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I have been playing almost 20 years. Have played the WSOP main event twice. Was going to play other events this year, but covid cancelled that trip. Have been fooling around on micro-stakes at Poker Stars just to fool around with some concepts and get reps in. Can't wait to play live again.
I've always wanted to do the WSOP main event but have not had a chance yet. I was going to this year before covid
Old 06-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #13
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

https://i.imgur.com/UGE9VAl.mp4

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Changing the stakes from winner takes all usually helps a lot. For instance, having something for everyone to win something makes it more interesting. One style that I played before that was interesting was the buy in was a combination of cash and the group would go out and buy some craft beer or wine of varied price points for half the cash buy in before the game starts (or delegate someone they trusted to do it). Winner takes remaining cash, losers gets first choice of the booze purchased as a consolation prize and winner gets whatever is left over (usually some "dummy prize" is chosen like a buck a beer selection).

Most times (but not always) those eliminated first would crack open their beer and share with the group while they watched and the winner of the crappy beer would be teased about that beer for a while. It always made it kinda fun that way.

We also tried methods to play several rounds an evening, so you'd have a relatively cheap buy in and there would be rules that speed up the game. For instance, one we tried was chip leader triple blinds after the first individual is eliminated (chip leader essentially has to pad the pot with an extra 2x of their blind which doesn't count as their bet as a disadvantage). We found the serious guys hated that style, the more casual guys would found ways to make it fun as it would speed up the game rather than non-stop rounds of folding until someone had a good hand. We found the chip leader extra blind method more fun that scaling blinds for everyone. Bullying others with a larger stack is too common and boring. Having the opportunity to bully the chip leader a little bit with something minuscule like padding the pot made it a bit more fun with the friendly ribbing.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #15
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've always wanted to do the WSOP main event but have not had a chance yet. I was going to this year before covid
It was a great experience. I was (too) nervous the first time and (maybe too) relaxed the second time and much happier with my play. If you can do it, and really like poker, it is a "great thing".

Old 06-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
It was a great experience. I was (too) nervous the first time and (maybe too) relaxed the second time and much happier with my play. If you can do it, and really like poker, it is a "great thing".
Sounds pretty awesome.... I have always wanted to do that. Since Covid started I've started a 'microstakes bank roll challenge', steadily trying to build my bankroll and climb up through the cash game levels. Starting to approach the point where I could imagine making enough to enter. I can imagine being nervous the first time though... in person is definitely different than online.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #17
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started playing poker online during the NHL lockout in 2004. After a year or two it got pretty boring playing online. Now I mostly just play when I go to Vegas. I have a 100% refundable trip for the end of November. Might be overly optimistic with Covid-19 cases going up in Vegas, but it was a good deal. I was thinking of playing one of the lower buy-in events at the WSOP this year, but Covid-19 eliminated any chance of that. Would like to play in the Main Event but the $10000 buy-in is hard to swallow. Probably would only play in it if I got through on a qualifier.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #18
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I started playing poker online during the NHL lockout in 2004. After a year or two it got pretty boring playing online. Now I mostly just play when I go to Vegas. I have a 100% refundable trip for the end of November. Might be overly optimistic with Covid-19 cases going up in Vegas, but it was a good deal. I was thinking of playing one of the lower buy-in events at the WSOP this year, but Covid-19 eliminated any chance of that. Would like to play in the Main Event but the $10000 buy-in is hard to swallow. Probably would only play in it if I got through on a qualifier.
That is cool - what are the lower buy-in WSOP events like? How often do they go and what price/player range? 1-2 day tournaments?
Old 06-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I play pokerstars off and on for about 15 years.

I just started playing again after a long break. I play tourneys and cash tables but just small stakes. My favorite was always 5 cent / 10 cent blinds max $10 buy in. I have to say though, it's been a few years and the players have gotten way better overall. Used to have no problem doubling or tripling my stack on a 500 to 1000 hand session but its way tougher now I find. Even 1 cent 2 cent blinds doesnt have nearly as many donkeys playing anymore.

I tried playing zoom poker, its pretty fun as you get a lot of hands quickly, but my god the beats can pile up quick.

I had a particularily bad session about a month ago playing 5 cent 10 cent zoom. In 1400 hands i was dealt KK vs AA three times and lost them all, had AA vs KK once and lost that too when the guy flopped a K. I also had set under set 3 times and lost an all in preflop with AK vs AQ. Thank goodness it was just small stakes.

Zoom tourneys are much more fun though, especially for a tight agressive player like myself.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #20
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurFish View Post
That is cool - what are the lower buy-in WSOP events like? How often do they go and what price/player range? 1-2 day tournaments?
There are buy-ins as low as ~$500 all the way up to $5,000 as far as lower buy-in events. Some are as long as several days. And there are a LOT of events now, so you could probably go for 2 weeks with $5k and play 3-6 events if you time it right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post: