Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #261
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't look at the May 8th match or anything else after the home opener. Yikes. I hope that the front office and owners look inwards before pointing the finger at fans, or even the weather. This is dire.

I initially dismissed the notion that backtracking on their pricing and somehow doing upgrades, rebates, etc. would be an embarrassing logistical nightmare. Doing nothing might be worse.

Sorry to fart in the elevator, Sherm. I'm still trying to stay positive and I am really looking forward to Saturday. I wish we were talking about a sold out stadium at this point. The silver lining is that I think that Ship & Anchor ticket, bus, pint deals are going to do very, very well because they do provide some really good value.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #262
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, I'm going to take full advantage of those beer / bus / ticket deals. That is insanely good value.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #263
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

2019 CPL Attendance

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-cpl-attendance/

Quote:
Two matches were on the schedule, and 2019 CPL attendance got off to a strong start, as the Canadian Premier League debuted with matches in Hamilton and Greater Victoria.

Forge FC 17,611
Pacific FC 5,100

There is an asterisk involved: the Hamilton numbers at Tim Hortons Field came after team ownership gave away free tickets to the match.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #264
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's full capacity for Pacific FC, so that's a great sign. What I'm looking forward to is if this league succeeds, these smaller stadiums will evolve into larger, more permanent facilities as a consistent fan base grows.

My dream is to have a new, 12,000 seat soccer stadium down the line, right next to downtown Calgary somewhere. I realize there's already a long-term facility plan for Cavalry... but one can dream.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #265
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I heard the ship and anchor tickets are sold out... just wanted to pass that message along in case anyone was counting on that.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #266
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I can't fathom. Okotoks Dawgs is the probably the most comparable team in terms of quality of players and distance from downtown etc.. and the most expensive tickets appear to be 18.50.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #267
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Looking at inaugural week attendance is a fool's errand. For example, and as a cautionary tale, the inaugural game of the Canadian Baseball League, in London, was a complete sell-out at around 5100. (Calgary drew 1700 to our opener.) By the time the league folded - three months later - only Calgary and Victoria averaged over 1000 fans.

Fortunately, the CPL appears to have a dramatically stronger base of support. Though, like the CBL, they completely muffed the eighth team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #268
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This photo pretty much says it all about their pricing strategy, doesn't it? Almost all reasonably priced seats purchased, and almost all unreasonably priced seats available. If people want to get the message across that they priced things wrong, IMO this is the best way to do it.

Of course, the club has to actually look at changing things up pricing wise. I have a feeling Ian Allison is far too stubborn to do anything of the sort.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #269
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
This photo pretty much says it all about their pricing strategy, doesn't it? Almost all reasonably priced seats purchased, and almost all unreasonably priced seats available. If people want to get the message across that they priced things wrong, IMO this is the best way to do it.

Of course, the club has to actually look at changing things up pricing wise. I have a feeling Ian Allison is far too stubborn to do anything of the sort.
I think the club has really overestimated the appeal of Spruce Meadows as a venue. I know it's unique and the amenities are first class but at the end of the day, the venue is not the primary product. Soccer is. To me, that graphic makes it clear that there's a solid market in Calgary at the 20-40 dollar price point. But not many people are going to pay $70 plus dollars week in and week out. To me, getting as many bums in seats without torpedoing your bottom line should be the first priority in season one. Look at the atmosphere a packed house created on the island last weekend. Pacific FC is creating demand for their product. Cavalry are missing a huge opportunity here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #270
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

Well, if anyone thinks this looks bad, check out availability on the May 8 game. The $60 seats aren't going either, and there's a lot of availability on $40 seats.

Not hard to imagine that Calgary ends up at the bottom for attendance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #271
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
I think the club has really overestimated the appeal of Spruce Meadows as a venue. I know it's unique and the amenities are first class but at the end of the day, the venue is not the primary product. Soccer is. To me, that graphic makes it clear that there's a solid market in Calgary at the 20-40 dollar price point. But not many people are going to pay $70 plus dollars week in and week out. To me, getting as many bums in seats without torpedoing your bottom line should be the first priority in season one. Look at the atmosphere a packed house created on the island last weekend. Pacific FC is creating demand for their product. Cavalry are missing a huge opportunity here.
It's also at the edge of the city. If you live in the north it's at least a 40-45 minute drive plus traffic getting in. No thanks
Old 04-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #272
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been through this before.

I still think that they know they're going to get a certain amount of people no matter what, for season seats and individual game seats so they may as well charge them a premium and maximize revenue. And the economics are very likely inelastic. Meaning, dropping prices by 30 or 40% won't likely get 30 or 40% more people to show up equal out the revenue, as casual fans will be very hesitant, as shown in this thread, to go for any price in some cases, until things are established.

And teams will take on losses the first few years. Flying 25 team members across country, plus salaries, aren't covered by the Cbc or streaming contract, nor ticket sales by itself.

And, Calvary can always come down in ticket prices, year over year if required, and that's more appealing then some of these teams having to scramble to raise ticket revenue (and thus prices) in year two or three, pissing off fans who were used to paying $25 and now have to pay $45.

Yes there could be something to be said about atmosphere etc, but it's a financial risk that is banking on the team and league being a success and a long term civic thing, where there's prices become a bit more "worth it" rather then trying to appeal to, and pull as many random non soccer fans people in to convert non soccer fans into pro soccer fans.

My guess is that if you're going to games, it's because you already like soccer in general, and, you want to support Calgary's and its team in the new league. To do this, you're willing to drive an extra 20 minutes and pay an extra $20 then you would for whatever else you may be spending entertainment dollars on on a weekend afternoon for a few hours of your time. If that doesn't appeal to you for any number of reasons, then the Calvary games aren't going to be for you, just like Stamps and Cannons games werent for everyone either.

They have to build equity with the city and get the causal fan intetrested for sure to grow the game, and become more popular as the league hopefully grows in stature, but that doesn't automatically mean that the only way to achieve that buy in is by having to give away tickets.

Last edited by browna; 04-30-2019 at 08:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #273
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think people are upset mainly because Cavalry's prices are like 30-40% more what the other 6 teams charge, considering all teams started from scratch and have no history (almost). What makes Spruce Meadows to think that their team is worth 30-40% more than the other clubs are beyond my knowledge.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #274
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
And teams will take on losses the first few years.
These prices indicate that Spruce Meadows is not willing to do so. Especially with the added gouge of $10 parking when everything else there is free.

So the question is: what will they do if they find they are losing money anyway? It doesn't speak to an organization that would be in it for the long haul.

And it's not going to look good when they are announcing 1500 as official attendance with less than 1000 people actually there because the businesses they sold those expensive seats to have nobody actually going, the hardcore fans have bought up all the cheap seats and the casual fans have been priced out.

I get the logic behind what Spruce Meadows is doing, but it is flawed. They are far more likely to do long term damage to the viability of soccer in this city than anything else if they don't address this by year 2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #275
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I think people are upset mainly because Cavalry's prices are like 30-40% more what the other 6 teams charge, considering all teams started from scratch and have no history (almost). What makes Spruce Meadows to think that their team is worth 30-40% more than the other clubs are beyond my knowledge.
And that's the thing. Edmonton plays in a smaller stadium, will have similar expenses, and charges half as much. They also have 1.5-2x the season tickets sold, so even though Calgary will have much higher revenue per ticket sold, Edmonton (and everyone else bar York and Victoria) may still out gross them in terms of revenue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #276
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Spruce Meadows is playing the long game by inflating prices now, so they won't have to increase them later, they are already losing that bet. If they honestly thought that the market, in in an economic downturn with a dismal history of pro soccer, could support their pricing structure, they are also out to lunch.

To bit it bluntly, if they NEED $100+ tickets for this tier of soccer to survive, they're dead on arrival as this venture is clearly not viable. Rows upon rows of empty seats in your inaugural season is not a strategy - it is a failure. A big one.

Anecdotally, every single person I have talked to about Cavalry have said a remark about the ticket prices being way too high. Like off the map. And these are generally family people, decent jobs, don't mind dropping a bit of money on things, soccer-loving families, European immigrants, etc. etc. I can personally attest that some people that would have normally come have been turned off by price, while others will likely come to 1 or 2 games instead of 5 or 6, based solely on price.

To argue that "if you build it and price it really high, attendance will eventually catch up with the prices and everyone will love it!" is a recipe for disaster for any fledgling team/league, but even more so in Calgary where soccer history, the economy, and the location are already huge factors.

There is no excuse. They're effed this up massively, and the only hope is that a) the owners are willing to ride out the lost revenue this season, and b) look inwards and fix things ASAP in the off season. If they aren't willing to do both of those things, this thing dies. Full stop.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #277
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

massive momentum swing in the forecast. I am sure it will change daily till Saturday, but it's now predicting +13 and a mix of sun and clouds.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #278
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My kids soccer team was looking to go the home opener (U12) but there is no way parents are willing to pay the prices. This is the age group you want there to build a fan base but at $60/ticket our families said no way. Sadly we are not going and that is too bad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #279
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
My kids soccer team was looking to go the home opener (U12) but there is no way parents are willing to pay the prices. This is the age group you want there to build a fan base but at $60/ticket our families said no way. Sadly we are not going and that is too bad.
I would like to see them dedicate a section for all minor soccer association member with $10-$15 tickets. Create a mini fan club called the Youth Brigade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #280
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is a fantastic idea. I don't follow the Okotokes Dawgs directly but if I recall correctly this is something they do a fantastic job of doing to get kids hooked and their parents taking them to the game.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge