Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #201
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shooter's name has been released, former marine Ian David Long
https://abcnews.go.com/US/thousand-o...ry?id=59054278

The father spoke about his last words with his son, the shooter. It is heartbreaking. The names of the victims are listed in this link.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/son-love-h...ry?id=59063491

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!

Last edited by hwy19man; 11-09-2018 at 01:34 AM.
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #202
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The shooter's name has been released, former marine Cody Coffman.

The father spoke about his last words with his son, the shooter. It is heartbreaking. The names of the victims are listed in this link.
U got the name wrong of tge shooter. Cody coffman is the victim.

His father's video just made me ball my eyes out.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #203
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The shooter's name has been released, former marine Cody Coffman.

That is incorrect, he was one of the victims.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #204
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

NRA tells doctors to stay out of the gun conversation hours before shooting.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1060256567914909702

some of the responses from doctors were pretty sobering

Quote:
Taylor Nichols, MD
‏@tnicholsmd

Replying to @NRA
Next time I have 16yo boy shot through the spine and liver, paralyzed and terrified, gasping for air, and have to pretend to reassure him that we will do our best as he only survives long enough to make it to the OR table, I’ll be sure to call you to come tell the family.
Quote:
Dr M Fraggle

Oh, was I supposed to consult the NRA when my elderly patient with dementia accidentally shot themself holstering a gun they legally owned? Because I was under the impression I was to consult general surgery and social services. My bad. :/ Gun control: not just about young people
6:33 AM - Nov 8, 2018
Quote:
kyalectics

i've reviewed the literature and there are basically no studies on the therapeutic benefits of getting shot
5:48 AM - Nov 8, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/healt...act/index.html
Old 11-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #205
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean legislation will help, but everyone who currently has high capacity mags will of course be able to sell them on the black market. Considering we know the gun nuts accumulate weapons and ammo as if they single handily will have to take down the tyrannical government, that's probably a massive black market. America has so very much to do for this to not be the norm.
Concentrating the guns in the hands of a few people at least reduces supply for everyone else.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #206
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
NRA tells doctors to stay out of the gun conversation hours before shooting.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1060256567914909702

some of the responses from doctors were pretty sobering

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/healt...act/index.html
hey, but least the NRA is just labeling them as bias and not crisis actors... that's a win amirite?!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #207
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
U got the name wrong of tge shooter. Cody coffman is the victim.

His father's video just made me ball my eyes out.

That video was absolutely heart wrenching. I can't even imagine the pain.

That country's gun laws are beyond pathetic, and the sad part is it will never change.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #208
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's weird to me that the gun control debate in the U.S. comes down to liberals vs. conservatives. It's not a liberal vs. conservative debate to me at all, but one of pragmatism. It's about the greater good and practical application of public firearms.

I know a lot of conservatives in Canada who are for gun control in some measure. Sure, there are debates about how to apply it, but I think for the most part in Canada, conservatives and liberals want controlled access to guns. The debate in Canada is more about the details and how to define and apply control, but there is a common ground to be had when it comes to public safety.

It's important to point out that Canada is not a saint when it comes to firearms related crimes. We are far behind the U.S., but still worse that many other Western countries. I am not turning my nose down at the U.S. since we have room to improve as well.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #209
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just want to know how many dead it will take? 20 1st and 2nd graders don’t work. Over 50 at a country concert don’t work. How many will it take? Is there a certain number it’s gonna take?

I’m at the point that the 2nd amendment blow hards have to start paying for the funerals and police response for this. Tax the s hit out of guns and gun accessories. All the money goes into a kitty to pay for the medical bills and funerals of mass shooting victims.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 11-08-2018 at 10:40 PM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #210
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I can't find the tweet, but I was reading today about how one of the victims survived the Vegas shooting but died in this latest shooting. Just brutal. And the sad part is we all know this thread will be bumped yet again within days.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #211
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
I just want to know how many dead it will take? 20 1st and 2nd graders don’t work. Over 50 at a country concert don’t work. How many will it take?
Honestly, it will probably take a revolution and new constitution. Like you said, if those other incidents didn't effect change, then nothing short of revolution will change things.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #212
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
I just want to know how many dead it will take? 20 1st and 2nd graders don’t work. Over 50 at a country concert don’t work. How many will it take?
A lot of us have said it before: Sandy Hook was the turning point. If someone can go into a school and murder a bunch of children and nothing is done..........nothing will get done for a long time, if ever.

My biggest pet peeve is after things like Sandy Hook or Vegas when certain politicians and lobby groups give the standard 'now is not the time to discuss gun control......' Nope, it is EXACTLY the time to talk about gun control.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #213
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
A lot of us have said it before: Sandy Hook was the turning point. If someone can go into a school and murder a bunch of children and nothing is done..........nothing will get done for a long time, if ever.

My biggest pet peeve is after things like Sandy Hook or Vegas when certain politicians and lobby groups give the standard 'now is not the time to discuss gun control......' Nope, it is EXACTLY the time to talk about gun control.
Oh I know. I had kids the same age as when Sandy Hook happened I still get chocked up just saying it. I just wonder,How many lives are your guns worth”?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #214
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Apparently, to a lot of Americans..............infinite. Remember: guns don't kill people, people kill people. Supposedly.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #215
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Here's that tweet I was talking about before. This mom has had it with guns, and thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1060671145660141568
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #216
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you believe the polling, the majority of americans actually believe in some form of gun control...

not sure what the means, because once you parse that answer, it gets murkier in terms of 'how' you control guns...

things like not providing selling guns to those with mental health issues seems like a no brainer or the loop hole that enables private sellers not to to check backgrounds...

even these tiny adjustments get flushed by the politicians, that's the real tragedy imo...

http://time.com/5167216/americans-gu...ort-poll-2018/

once upon a time, there was even an assault weapons (definitions aside) ban...so the political will can be marshaled to do the things that now seem impossible.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #217
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watching that Dad early this morning ,watching the ping on his kids phone still in the bar, and then him coming out saying his kid is dead, breaks my heart.

How many dead is your gun worth to you?

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 11-08-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #218
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
if you believe the polling, the majority of americans actually believe in some form of gun control...

not sure what the means, because once you parse that answer, it gets murkier in terms of 'how' you control guns...

things like not providing selling guns to those with mental health issues seems like a no brainer or the loop hole that enables private sellers not to to check backgrounds...

even these tiny adjustments get flushed by the politicians, that's the real tragedy imo...

http://time.com/5167216/americans-gu...ort-poll-2018/

once upon a time, there was even an assault weapons (definitions aside) ban...so the political will can be marshaled to do the things that now seem impossible.
The problem is Americans tend to be in favour of gun control for other people, there tends to be less willingness to give up their own guns
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #219
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would be nice if Americans were subjected to a rigorous psychiatric assessment, lie detector tests, and associated background check to ascertain why they need to purchase a gun and what they intend to do with it. Then after months (maybe a couple of years) of processing, they are subject to highly inflated prices on all guns, ammunition and associated parts, in which owning a gun is a considerably expensive investment for the average American. Limit the amount of ammunition per year they are able to buy (say, 3 bullets every 90 days), then have an annually psychiatric checkup and validation exercise of why you still need a gun. Also, gun purchases can only be made with recommendations from minimum six credible people (such as doctors, lawyers, or accountants) who can vouch for your necessity to have a gun. You should also have to register with law enforcement, the FBI, psychiatric services, and community good sammartian groups (which requires 50 hours of community service per week as part of gun ownership responsibility).

So after multiple and ongoing tiresome investigations, thousands of dollars spent, and at least 18-24 months of waiting, you can have your constitutionally-protected pistol.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #220
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I love one of the replies to that:

"Surely if more people had opened fire in a dark, crowded, and smoky space, fewer people would have died."

America is great.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: