Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #201
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
One thing to be aware of- the brewery has been sold/ rebranded. So last year "Apex Predator" was just the name of an awesome IPA, and now that is the name appearing on all of their beers.

Just so nobody is expecting an 8% double IP and getting a 4 pack of their lager.
I knew the brewery name had changed from Bench Creek, but didnt realize it had been sold. Either way, the double IPA came out earlier this year and tastes as good as ever. Wonder if that means it is the same brewmaster or if they just did a good job with the recipe.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #202
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I knew the brewery name had changed from Bench Creek, but didnt realize it had been sold. Either way, the double IPA came out earlier this year and tastes as good as ever. Wonder if that means it is the same brewmaster or if they just did a good job with the recipe.

I don't think it's been sold, I think they may have got into some trademark/naming rights issues.

Pretty sure its just a new name, same brewer, same beer!

The double IPA is definitely a hit at my place as well!!

Last edited by TomLeeMC; 01-09-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to comment how delish the beer is
TomLeeMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #203
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLeeMC View Post
I don't think it's been sold, I think they may have got into some trademark/naming rights issues.
I think you are right. That's what happens when people tell me stuff when I've been drinking- I end up with an even less funny version of "drunk history."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #204
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One thing to be aware of- the brewery has been sold/ rebranded. So last year "Apex Predator" was just the name of an awesome IPA, and now that is the name appearing on all of their beers.

Just so nobody is expecting an 8% double IP and getting a 4 pack of their lager.
that's a good heads up, that would be worse than accidentally being served decaf in the morning
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #205
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was passing by last night and it's still open. I didn't have time to stop, but we should all go buy some beer and support him!
solid update- thanks

last winter I was in their vicinity quite a bit and tried to stop by at least twice a month- never around there anymore but will make an effort to make a buy this weekend
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #206
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They haven’t been sold, they had their name Bench Creek challenged by another company as well as some of their beer names so they changed the company name to their most popular beer.

Naked Grape had a problem with Naked Woodsman

Last edited by Barnes; 01-09-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Sorry for the late reply, missed some of the thread.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #207
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I love the fact you can ask for a beer they don't have and they will most likely be able to get it for you within a few weeks. I've ordered multiples and had no problem with delivery.
To be fair I've had some independent stores and even a liquor depot do this for me before.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #208
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bump... Drove by here the other day and was reminded that we haven't heard or seen from hack&Lube in a long time... Hoping all is okay...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #209
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drove near there awhile ago and it looked like there was a sign on the door, anybody know what it said?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #210
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The web link in the original post doesn't work, so I googled it and it says it's permanently closed =(
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #211
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It did feel to me like there is sufficient selection at enough places that were more convenient for me that I had trouble becoming a regular customer. I also found the beers I really wanted weren't there without me having to ask them to order (which I can do at closer locations as well), so again, just wasn't a differentiator enough for me.

I did really like the place and concept... I hope maybe he can work out some of the kinks and try again with whatever knowledge was learned from this attempt.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #212
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at opening a place in Cochrane a while back, and the retail beer/wine space is absolute chaos at the moment. Just massive saturation of the low end beer and wine, and everything else gets lost in the shuffle.

In that industry, location is a huge driver.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #213
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I was looking at opening a place in Cochrane a while back, and the retail beer/wine space is absolute chaos at the moment. Just massive saturation of the low end beer and wine, and everything else gets lost in the shuffle.

In that industry, location is a huge driver.
Beer Den just opened in Cochrane recently. I really like the spot, but sadly I doubt it lasts. Hoping they can make it work.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #214
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

We mostly don't know each other, but I was randomly thinking I hadn't seen Hack&Lube post in awhile after being a daily poster for years. I guess this business venture went under shortly after he started it with a friend.

But just checked his profile and saw that he hasn't logged in since March 23rd, 2019. Really hope he's okay.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #215
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I really wanted to support his beer store, but it had 2 major drawbacks. Bad location, and I was never sure if they would have what I was looking for in stock. If I go to Co-op I usually find what I want, and if not then I can make a special trip to Wine & Beyond where I'm virtually guaranteed to find it. With the Beer Store I never knew what would be available since their stock fluctuated so much, and with their location it was a special trip every time. They probably could have been very successful had they opened up 5 years earlier, but now there are so many liquor stores with great craft selections that there's no reason to make a special trip to any specific one
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #216
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know Hack&Lube, but there are just so many moving parts to that industry, something as simple as long term construction can really throw a wrench into a new business.

I spent most of last year trying to set up a joint similar to what he did, and three quarters of my time was spent on risk mitigation, and thinking through every contingency.

I'm impressed with H&L getting to the point that he did, and I'm sorry that it didn't take off for him.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 02-15-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #217
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say, Alberta Beer Exchange seems to have taken the Beer Vault idea and made it (hopefully) viable.

Practical location (Sunalta station) for residential/office workers, online store/stock, growler exchange, delivery, etc. And a focus on local/Canadian beers which I think narrows what you're trying to stock, etc. (Rather than Beer Vault which went for a tonne of wacky euro beers that are expensive to inventory and have limited market).

Been frequenting it for last few months every week and surprisingly busy. Love being able to try tonnes of local breweries without having to go to the brewery.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #218
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I'm impressed with H&L getting to the point that he did, and I'm sorry that it didn't take off for him.
Yeah, starting a new business is rough. H&L, if you're reading this, props for giving it a go.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #219
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are targeting craft beer fans, then selling mostly single cans really is the way to go- as Collective and ABX are doing. Not to mention they update their full inventory on untappd just about daily.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #220
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hello all,

I've been away from CP for quite awhile and didn't want to see this thread pop up as it brings back bad memories!

Things did not work out. I was the main investor and we lost a 6-figure amount with renovation problems, bank loans, and landlord issues and the business partners did not cooperate well. The space was also way too large (rent was quite high) and after paying out the start-up issues we simply didn't have the capital to keep it well stocked and maintained so it was very empty feeling most of the time. I was in over my head and a lot of it was my fault. I also put my severance from my O&G job into it at the time but I'm sure that this is similar experience that many Albertans and small business folks have been suffering, especially more so now due to Covid-19!

From my own experience, I can really empathize with the hardships that many people are going through during the pandemic. It doesn't do well for your dignity to have to get on your knees to plead for understanding with your landlord. It is a terrible way to live, when you are in constant fear if you will have any customers or if you will be able to pay your bills.

I'm 100% certain that I'm retired from trying entrepreneurship now. I'm just going back to being a corporate office worker bee and loving it!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-18-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 108 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
81MC, aaronck, accord1999, Ace, agulati, Arbitor, bc-chris, bdubbs, Ben_in_Canada, Biff, Bill Bumface, bizaro86, Boblobla, brocoli, btimbit, Burninator, BurningYears, burn_this_city, calgarybornnraised, cam_wmh, Charcot, chemgear, Clever_Iggy, CMPunk, CofR, csnarpy, D as in David, darockwilder, DeluxeMoustache, Dion, DoubleF, DoubleK, DownhillGoat, DownInFlames, Erick Estrada, Fire, firebug, FireGilbert, FlamesPuck12, FLAMESRULE, FlamingHomer, FurnaceFace, Fuzz, Galakanokis, GirlySports, GreenHardHat, habernac, Harry Lime, HerbalTesla, I-Hate-Hulse, iggypop, Ironhorse, I_H8_Crawford, jayswin, Jbo, Jiri Hrdina, Joborule, Johnny Makarov, JohnnyB, Julio, ken0042, Kerplunk, KevanGuy, KootenayFlamesFan, krynski, KTrain, lambeburger, Locke, looooob, Luder, Machiavelli, Maritime Q-Scout, Max Cow Disease, mikephoen, monkeyman, mrkajz44, Muta, nfotiu, Nyah, psyang, puckedoff, rayne008, Red Ice Player, red sky, redflamesfan08, redforever, Regular_John, RoadGame, Roast Beef, Roger, rubecube, Scorch, Scroopy Noopers, sevenarms, Slava, Sliver, SportsJunky, STeeLy, TheScorpion, Thor, Titan2, TorqueDog, tvp2003, undercoverbrother, WhiteTiger, Wormius, wwkayaker, Zarley