Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
pfft

And when he has to arrest someone whats he going to do? Have them ride shotgun?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #62
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The other part however is that I'm a bit nervous about what he might say about me if challenged. He told me to my face he was willing to make up a charge against me. If I pursue him in this way he could say I assaulted him or caused a disturbance. It's maybe just fiction in my head but that bad cop stuff does intimidate.
Your story is entirely credible. You have no reason to lie, and he has every reason to lie.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #63
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The other part however is that I'm a bit nervous about what he might say about me if challenged. He told me to my face he was willing to make up a charge against me. If I pursue him in this way he could say I assaulted him or caused a disturbance. It's maybe just fiction in my head but that bad cop stuff does intimidate.
Immediate response from his superior: "Wait... you're telling me that you witnessed someone committing a crime, in fact that he assaulted you, and as an officer charged with upholding the laws of this country and this province, you didn't bother to tell anyone about it?"

Frankly, if he lies and makes up an allegation about you, that reflects even worse on him than your original story. And if anyone were to act on it to your detriment, he would have exposed the CPS to a lawsuit for misfeasance in public office.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #64
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of good police officers out there. But I think there are a lot more bad ones than anyone in Law Enforcement is willing to admit. And with these recent claims being made by the women in CPS, it sounds far more widespread than anyone thought.
This is a good point. I have a relative who is a cop, and am friends with about 4 others. The stories I hear from them are mind boggling. My relative's ex-partner was a complete ###### I was told. He's been suspended 4 times for misconduct and is let back on the force every time. I'm told he's ''not the kind of guy you want to cross''. Not exactly the kind of person the public wants walking around with a hand gun and in a position of authority. My relative brought his actions to his supervisor and what happened? Relative was relegated to desk duty for 6 months. He just got back out on patrol duty last month. True story.

I've seen pictures of police who have raided houses with illegal weapons (chain maces, assault rifles, katanas etc) and the officers took photos on their own smart phones of other officers doing ninja poses with the swords and Braveheart poses with these big chain maces. I've seen these photos myself. Is doing something like that with these confiscated weapons illegal? I have no idea. But it's not really professional if you ask me and I don't think the public would approve if these pictures were released.

My own interactions with police have been mixed. Most times it's decent. I've had police come to my door looking for a friend and they were pretty polite. But I've had ####### cops too. One cop in particular caught me and my friend smoking a joint about 5 years ago as we were walking to the convenience store. He handcuffed us and searched us. I get it, he busted us and it's part of protocol.

He then made my friend stand with no shoes on the road itself while he searched his jacket. Found a roach in my friends pocket and started getting in our faces about it. His attitude was entirely unnecessary and aggressive. So much so that the person who's property we were on actually came out and asked the cop why he was belittling us so bad. The cop then flipped out on him and screamed at him to get inside ''or he was next''. Completely inappropriate.

Pylon is right, this issue is much more widespread then is being released. This is only what's been reported and made the papers. I have absolutely no doubt that it's a much bigger issue. Everyone like to trot out the "99.9% of cops are good ones", but I honestly think that number is way less. Of the ~1800 officers on the street, are we to believe that only 18 or so are responsible for all the bad stuff we hear? BS. It's a much bigger issue, and really we've only heard the tip of the iceberg.

And a huge shoutout to the cops who are brave enough to come forward. I hope the media does a followup story on them to see just how their careers were affected by coming forward. The brotherhood mentality most definitely does exist for CPS. The phrase '' we look out for our own'' means we cover for our partners when we need to and don't rat each other out.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 10-31-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #65
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this today:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/31...ending-company

Quote:
Calgary police Det. Gerard Brand was paid $2,300 by a lending company looking for information about deadbeat debtors, a prosecutor charged Monday.

Crown lawyer Leah Boyd, in her opening address to a four-woman, eight-man Court of Queen’s Bench jury, said Brand unlawfully accessed police databases to discover the information.

Brand faces charges of breach of trust by a public official and unauthorized use of a computer for accessing Calgary Police and the RCMP’s federal database.

Boyd said jurors will hear evidence Brand sold information to a lending company, Manila Capital, that he obtained through his employment.

"Gerard Brand is a senior member of the Calgary Police Service," the Edmonton-based prosecutor said.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Edmonton Based Prosecutor.'

All you need to know.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #67
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The best (worst) part of this story is he's been on paid leave ever since. So they guy pockets $2k in sugar as they like to call it and his punishment is four years (and counting) of paid leave. Is there any other profession in the world where misconduct is rewarded this way?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #68
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
'Edmonton Based Prosecutor.'

All you need to know.
Do you seriously think that a Calgary based prosecutor would be able to investigate allegations against the Calgary Police Service without a total conflict of interest?
Old 10-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Do you seriously think that a Calgary based prosecutor would be able to investigate allegations against the Calgary Police Service without a total conflict of interest?
Of course not, we obviously need a BC based prosecutor.

I'm being fairly facetious, but that doesnt come across all that well. Sorry about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #70
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
The near 24/7 speed traps set up on Flanders/Crowchild would disagree with you. Sometimes in both directions at the same time.

It's like they gather at the AM meetings to determine how to best annoy the crap out of Calgarians.
I've lived in both cities and the amount of speed enforcement is not even comparable. Mobile deployment by Edmonton is at least 5 times more, and speed traps run by EPS and peace officers are at least 3 times more. The eastern leg of the ring road here lies 2 feet outside of city limits, but obviously is still used primarily by Edmonton people. So it's a free for all for the sheriffs and peace officers. They run a massive trap 3 times a week unlike anything I've ever seen in Calgary even one time.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #71
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

If it is true that Hanson was just painting a pretty picture you gotta kind of feel for the new police chief as it would then appear that he's actually the better chief and doing the right thing, whereas the public perception will be that he took over and everything went to absolute ****.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #72
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I've lived in both cities and the amount of speed enforcement is not even comparable. Mobile deployment by Edmonton is at least 5 times more, and speed traps run by EPS and peace officers are at least 3 times more. The eastern leg of the ring road here lies 2 feet outside of city limits, but obviously is still used primarily by Edmonton people. So it's a free for all for the sheriffs and peace officers. They run a massive trap 3 times a week unlike anything I've ever seen in Calgary even one time.
I was visiting friends in Edmonton recently, and as we drove in, I noticed a white pickup parked at the side of the road.

This was on the QE II just before it turns into Gateway Blvd, at the city limits. The speed limit drops from 110 to 90 in that area, and it might have dropped further to 80 at that point, I don't remember.

The vehicle had amber flashing lights on top of it, and the words "City of Edmonton" were written across the side. It looked similar to the Carmacks (sp?) trucks we see on Stoney here in Calgary.

I slowed down just out of pure habit, cause I don't take any chances with cars parked on the side of the road, especially in Edmonton. I was surprised to see the giant camera on the dashboard, and the flash went off when the car next to me went by him at about 100.

Edmonton Police are really sneaky about that ####.

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-01-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #73
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
This was on the QE II just before it turns into Gateway Blvd, at the city limits. The speed limit drops from 110 to 90 in that area, and it might have dropped further to 80 at that point, I don't remember.
Yeah it's disgusting how much photo radar and laser they run up here. A little further north from that they shoot radar from the overpass at Henday, at one point during the summer they were there every single day. Usually it's 3 times a week or so. There is not a single day that there isn't enforcement at one of about 10 spots on Henday. It's not even close to that anywhere on Stoney.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #74
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's disgusting how much photo radar and laser they run up here. A little further north from that they shoot radar from the overpass at Henday, at one point during the summer they were there every single day. Usually it's 3 times a week or so. There is not a single day that there isn't enforcement at one of about 10 spots on Henday. It's not even close to that anywhere on Stoney.
Just Google'd it...it wasn't an F-150, but the livery/accessories were exactly the same as this (ignore the arrows and boxes, it was the only picture I could find)

Spoiler!

Looks like they have Sienna vans too, judging from this page: https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...radar-faq.aspx

The cringe factor is real on this FAQ entry, lol

Quote:
Why aren't all photo-enforcement vehicles clearly marked so drivers can slow down when they see them?

The purpose of tickets is to hurt the pocketbook so that drivers say "ouch" and change their driving behaviour. If drivers slow down only until they are past the photo radar unit, then you can bet that they also speed where our children cross the streets.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #75
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
The cringe factor is real on this FAQ entry, lol
You disagree with that assessment? The purpose of speeding enforcement is to change the behaviour of drivers at all times, not just when the see a cop car.

Personally, I'd be fine with Calgary adopting the system used in the UK, where major roads are lined with camera boxes, any of which may contain a speed camera. The best way to change driver behaviour is to make them aware that their speed is being monitored at all times.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #76
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's WW3 up here with guys fighting back holding huge RADAR AHEAD signs warning drivers at the radar spots. Then EPS started giving the guys stunting tickets for "distracting drivers". The group ended up seeking donations and got legal help, end result is that EPS issued a service directive prohibiting officers from giving tickets to people warning of photo radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The best way to change driver behaviour is to make them aware that their speed is being monitored at all times.
Except it doesn't. Best way in practice is to pull people over and give them demerits, not send them tickets in the mail 3 weeks after the fact. That does nothing.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #77
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's literally to the point in Edmonton that people budget money for tickets. A massive portion of them are given for going 6-10 kph over the limit, it's better to just go about your day instead and keep your eyes on the road instead of glued to the speedometer. And oh yeah, did I mention it makes no difference? Half a million tickets for NOTHING.

I'd be fine with it if the $50+ million generated annually actually went to tangible improvements to infrastructure. But I'm from a damn third world country and it has better quality roads than this dump of a city.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #78
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's literally to the point in Edmonton that people budget money for tickets. A massive portion of them are given for going 6-10 kph over the limit, it's better to just go about your day instead and keep your eyes on the road instead of glued to the speedometer. And oh yeah, did I mention it makes no difference? Half a million tickets for NOTHING.

I'd be fine with it if the $50+ million generated annually actually went to tangible improvements to infrastructure. But I'm from a damn third world country and it has better quality roads than this dump of a city.
It helps municipalities deal with budget shortfalls.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You disagree with that assessment? The purpose of speeding enforcement is to change the behaviour of drivers at all times, not just when the see a cop car.

Personally, I'd be fine with Calgary adopting the system used in the UK, where major roads are lined with camera boxes, any of which may contain a speed camera. The best way to change driver behaviour is to make them aware that their speed is being monitored at all times.
That may be all well and good at face value, but in reality its just another form of Taxation.

The proof is in the very behaviour your describing, people are prepared to slow down when they see one rather than maintain a constant steady speed.

If the purpose is behaviour modification then why be sneaky about it? There should be a 10 foot tall camera with a big sign that says: "SPEED BY HERE AND YOU'LL GET A TICKET!"

Then you might modify behaviour, but at the moment all they accomplish is:

1. Distracting drivers who are paying more attention looking for photo-radar than they are to the road.

2. Generating Revenue.

Theres a reason they're consistently placed hidden where speed limits change dramatically and it isnt for the Public Good.

And: "If they speed on the highway then they'll speed by where your children play!!"

That argument is hilariously naive.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #80
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It helps municipalities deal with budget shortfalls.
I'm fine with that. What's sleazy is that Iveson and company are perpetually trying to spin it as being for safety, when the facts prove that it does nothing. Radar is clearly deployed in locations that will maximize revenue as opposed to increasing safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
4X4