Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #2001
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Oh look, Cowley Ridge is being de-commisioned and won't be rebuilt because *gasp* COST

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...after-23-years

“TransAlta is very interested in repowering this site. Unfortunately, right now, it’s not economically feasible,” Wayne Oliver, operations supervisor for TransAlta’s wind operations in Pincher Creek and Fort Macleod, said in an interview.

“We’re anxiously waiting to see what incentives might come from our new government. . . . Alberta is an open market and the wholesale price when it’s windy is quite low, so there’s just not the return on investment in today’s situation. So, if there is an incentive, we’d jump all over that.”

That's EXACTLY what I said in my last post.
I think this is more posturing than economics. TransAlta really wants the government to sit down and negotiate buyout rates for the existing coal infrastructure and announce incentives for new green power.

Until that happens I don't think you will see TransAlta announce much of anything.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #2002
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

So of course the decommissioning is occurring because of high costs. If it wasn't, then they wouldn't be asking for a subsidy. And when you introduce market-distorting incentives, then of course, all economic behaviour by firms will become increasingly influenced by posturing.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #2003
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Funny, you think of those things as once you build them, they are good to go, but it sounds like they need lots of maintenance.
Since they have exceeded their planned life, I'm sure shutting them down was on TransAlta's books. However, the timing of the decision sure seems like a big FU to Notley and a push to get the government to release the details that industry requires to make future investment decisions.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #2004
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Funny, you think of those things as once you build them, they are good to go, but it sounds like they need lots of maintenance.
I guess moving parts don't move forever. .. And you need a crane to bring the generator into the shop ( maintenance hurdle).

Trouble with the being a pioneering project for wind farming in Alberta is that you get to find out the difference between predicted performance and actual performance.

About six years ago I attended an info session regarding a wind farm project proposed around drumheller/ Hanna. The presenter remarked how the first wind farms in Alberta (i.e. Near Cowley) were actually put in places with too much wind. Turns out the first winds farms were put in the wrong place because higher average winds were wearing out the equipment.

His project was searching for a site where lower speed winds would blow for longer periods of the daytime... and he describe how they learnt from the engineering decisions of the day.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #2005
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
#thetriggering

Is there a safe space for these sensitive souls to go?
It's cute you use terms you probably don't fully understand to hide the fact that you're completely unable to debate the substance of the argument.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #2006
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
FYI the only one calling all mohawks criminals is Rubecube. Burns comment had nothing to do with lumping everyone into one group but it suits your argument much more if he did so you can play the "don't be a racist card". Bloody SJWs.
So wait, smuggling cigarettes and selling weed aren't criminal acts in this country? You sure you're up to date on the Criminal Code?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #2007
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I wouldn't say "being played' so much as "being paid". It worked very well in BC, so it is rather obvious that American interests would find further investment in screwing Canada over to be worth the money.
It's not just American investments. Lawyers all over the country have realized what an absolute cash cow title cases are and are milking them for all they're worth.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #2008
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's cute you use terms you probably don't fully understand to hide the fact that you're completely unable to debate the substance of the argument.
Thanks for turning yet another thread into a thread about racism.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #2009
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #2010
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just American investments. Lawyers all over the country have realized what an absolute cash cow title cases are and are milking them for all they're worth.
Anti-lawyerite.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #2011
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Thanks for turning yet another thread into a thread about racism.
Pretty sure it was the racist comment that did that, but you're welcome!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #2012
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Anti-lawyerite.
Haha, nah it's just capitalism. Many moons ago I had thought I wanted to go to law school and when talking to some lawyers out here they told me to get into aboriginal title law because that's where all the money was.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #2013
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I think this is more posturing than economics. TransAlta really wants the government to sit down and negotiate buyout rates for the existing coal infrastructure and announce incentives for new green power.

Until that happens I don't think you will see TransAlta announce much of anything.
I disagree (to some extent). Sure there is posturing, but with the spot price for power where it is and the cost to put in a development right now it makes it economically unrealistic. Again, I've looked at the economics and it's not a big moneymaker.

As biased as they are, Transalta just confirmed everything I said with that release. Sure they may be using it as a soapbox to get their point across, but it doesn't change the fact that wind generation is a marginal investment at the moment in Alberta.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #2014
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, nah it's just capitalism. Many moons ago I had thought I wanted to go to law school and when talking to some lawyers out here they told me to get into aboriginal title law because that's where all the money was.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #2015
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay that was funny.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #2016
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Subway Double meet!!!!!

Oil is over $40.

Its sad that how $40 oil seems like great news
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #2017
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If, 2 years ago, someone told you we would be jump[ing and celebrating $40 oil, you'd call them crazy.

Also, interesting forecast chart from last year...

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article48972.html
Not there yet....
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #2018
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loonie up 9 cents since the middle of January. Hopefully no one panicked and locked in tons of exchange contracts at like $1.38 now that it's threatening to go back under $1.30.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #2019
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
If, 2 years ago, someone told you we would be jump[ing and celebrating $40 oil, you'd call them crazy.

Also, interesting forecast chart from last year...

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article48972.html
Not there yet....
I get access to a lot of these forecasts at work. They're all garbage. Don't get me wrong, the reasoning these guys present seems to always make sense but it's all a completely fruitless exercise.

I haven't seen one that forecasts that this is the new norm but I think that's what I would believe the most.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #2020
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I haven't seen one that forecasts that this is the new norm but I think that's what I would believe the most.
I don't know if it's just finance people trying to be bullish/optimistic or that they are disconnected from it all...

But I definitely hear that all the time from industry people, that this is the new norm/new paradigm for the next decade (or two!).

Our company just posted this comparing 1985 to what is being forecasted and how this is going to be a 20-year rut.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote