Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #561
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Calling it now, Rick Nash, team Canada MVP.
If Rick Nash is Canada's MVP that means they finish out of the medals. His biggest accomplishment this season may be getting AV fired in NY.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #562
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some Stevie Y comments about Giordano:

Eric Francis@EricFrancis1h
Yzerman: "Mark Giordano was a player we discussed & was in consideration. In event of injury he could potentially remain in consideration."

Eric Francis@EricFrancis1h
Again, as Yzerman just told me on conf call, Mark Giordano still very much in the mix in case of injury, especially because of his LH shot

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #563
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone taken a stab at the projected lines?

This is how I see it going down...

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Toews - Bergeron
Benn - Tavares - Carter

Marleau - Nash

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Weber

Subban - Vlasic

Price
Luongo
Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #564
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I'm assuming they are rolling all lines pretty equally? Because Tavares in 4th line, I don't know, it just feels so wrong. Though the line is a NHL 1st line.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #565
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm surprised Rick Nash made it this year. Iginla this season has been a better Rick Nash than Rick Nash
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #566
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
This team has 0 chance at gold....... Hardly any team oriented players.
Those 15 players they selected that have been integral components of Stanley Cup (s) and/ or Olympic Gold Medal winners are not team oriented?

Give your head a shake.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #567
Knut

Exp:

^ I think you put Tavares wotj Getzlaf and Perry.. Benn with Sharp and Toews and put Bergeron on line 4 C

Bergeron has to play C.. he is second only to Toews in the faceoff dot on the team.

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos (obvious)
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry (cycle down low type guys)
Sharp - Toews - Benn (Two way with 3 game breakers)
Duchene - Bergeron - Carter/Marleau/Nash

Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Weber
Subban - Vlasic
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #568
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Players that should of been on team: Brent Seabrook, Claude Giroux, Joe Thornton
Players that should not be on team: Rick Nash, Chris Kunitz Dan Hamhus

Last edited by flamesfan1297; 01-07-2014 at 12:23 PM.
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #569
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a cap space problem people.

150.9 million

http://capgeek.com/fantasy-calculator/roster/3225

I did not compile this, I'm just reposting it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #570
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Jeff Carter is definitely the big surprise for me. There are a lot of players I would take over Carter, including E. Staal, Giroux, and Couture. But Carter definitely scores a lot of goals and is on pace for another 35-ish goal season, so really you're just adding another 30 goal scorer to a team.

There is no way I can ever be disappointed with the team assembled just because they are all such good players.

That team is absolutely stacked. I can't wait to get these games going!!!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #571
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Has anyone taken a stab at the projected lines?

This is how I see it going down...

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Toews - Bergeron
Benn - Tavares - Carter

Marleau - Nash

Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Weber

Subban - Vlasic

Price
Luongo
Smith
Agree with the goalies.

On defense, switch Vlasic for Hamhuis. Vlasic will be top 6, Hamhuis an extra.

Up front, I agree with your 1st line.

Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
Duchene- Toews - Sharp
Marleau- Bergeron - Carter

Benn- Nash.

Lines 3 and 4 can score but can also check and play PK (especially Toews, Sharp, Marleau and Bergeron).
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #572
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kunitz and Nash I disagree with. I suppose I can live with Kunitz, but I wouldn't mind St. Louis instead of Nash.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #573
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love watching the drama unfold on this site. This why I come to CP.

My thoughts:

The Kunitz pick partially makes sense to me. In a short tournament like this, chemistry is everything . Him and Crosby have probably the best chemisty in league. He has also played well with Getzlaf and Perry before. My only issue is if/when Babcock decides to break him away from those guys. I think we all know he is a product of Sid. I just dont' see him producing that well with someone else. IMO he is only valuable to this team if he is playing with Crosby, Getzlaf or Perry. High risk/high reward pick.

Rick Nash. Don't really get this pick as St. Louis far and away should have been ahead of him. Having said that though, Nash always elevates his game for international play, and I think that is what the selection committee sees in him. He's had a poor season this year. But I have no doubt he will rise to the occasion. Again, high risk/high reward.

St. Louis As Jiri said, I honestly think St. Louis is one of the most jerked around players in the history of sports. The reigning Art Ross winner who is not even close to slowing down yet. He would be perfect for the big ice surface. And if Stamkos plays, their chemistry could easily be the difference between Gold or Silver. What more did this guy have to do to earn himself a spot? For all the accolades Nash brings to international play, St. Louis would have been the better choice. I don't know why, but I can't help but feel this is Lowe's fault he isn't on the team.

Thornton/Marleau. Joe would have been to slow in the larger surface. Yes he is an awesome playmaker on NHL ice. I would love to see him score 4 goals in front of the whole world. But he only had 5 points in the last 13 Olympic games. Tavares > Joe. Marleau makes sense. Great skater. I think he will play the least amount of minutes of any Canadian forward who plays however. Just a gut feelings.

Bouwmeester/Pietrangello. Can't believe some people think Bouw has no place on this team. The ice and surrounding cast is EXACTLY what will make him shine. He isn't the type of player to carry a team. But surround him with talent and he will shine like he is this season. Plus their chemistry plays a huge role in a tournament like this. Our #1 pairing and hopefully in the entire tournament.

Goaltending. I think Luongo gets the start, but if he has 1 bad game Price is the man. And I think he will do great. If any player in the league can handle pressure, it's Price after playing in the fishbowl that is Montreal. I don't think our goaltending is as bad as it's made out to be. If we lose, it certainly won't be because of it.

I'm extremely excited to see Tavares make the team. Been a huge fan of his since his WJC days. Just a gut feeling that if we win Gold, Tavares will be our MVP.

All in all I'm happy with the team. Sure there are some controversial picks, but it just goes to show how spoiled we all are in Canada to have such elite players. I just hope the ''its our game'' mentality doesn't go to the players' heads. Russia IMO is the team to beat (due to home ice) and we've consistenly seen the Canadian teams fold when they play overseas. Can't wait for the games to start!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #574
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Claude Giroux... How long does he get to live off the goodwill of one 93 point season? People talk about this guy like he belongs in the same tier as Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Stamkos. For all the hype he's peaking offensively at about a PPG pace.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #575
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The only players aged 30 and under that have a higher goals per game than Rick Nash are Malkin, Crosby, Stamkos, and Ovechkin.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #576
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Nash or Kunitz should be there, but don't have a huge problem with it. It's not like either are much worse than the other options. I would have taken Giroux and St. Louis, but both guys have holes in their games. I wonder if St. Louis is unhappy though considering his own GM passed him over despite him essentially carrying the team for months. I think you gotta take last years Art Ross winner, but leaving him off shouldn't be the deciding factor in where they end up.

Happy for Kunitz being selected, as it's not his fault he plays with Crosby. He wasn't even on the radar coming into last year, and at least he earned his spot on there (unlike Nash). Only reason I would have gone for someone else is that there are legitimately better players that were left off. At least he is a guy who will stand in front of the net and generate traffic though, something Canada doesn't necessarily have in abundance.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #577
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Claude Giroux... How long does he get to live off the goodwill of one 93 point season? People talk about this guy like he belongs in the same tier as Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Stamkos. For all the hype he's peaking offensively at about a PPG pace.
How many 93 point seasons has Kuntiz had?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #578
macrov
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
IMHO:

Remove Carter, Nash, Hamhuis, Vlasic
Add Thornton, St. Louis, Giordano, Seabrook
This

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
macrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #579
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone give a breakdown of the number of NHL captains/assistants are on the team? I don't have time to look it over at work, but have always enjoyed that stat. TIA
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #580
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

given the credentials of the Team Canada braintrust, I am going to cut them some slack for now and wait to see the on ice product.

Regardless of the players slected, Canada is going to be in tough.

Tags
get on with it , speaker battle