we still need a forward named Stills.
Not Canadian. Young? He is.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #502
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the players, coaches, management the only person interviewed who seems excited about anything is Matt Duchene. What is everyone's problem?
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #503
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i'm scared just looking at that picture of Weber.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #504
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Of all the players, coaches, management the only person interviewed who seems excited about anything is Matt Duchene. What is everyone's problem?
Serious business. This is just the beginning of the journey.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #505
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
St. Louis deserved to be there this year and deserved to be there four years ago. Hockey Canada and its club politics is ridiculous sometimes.
How is that club politics? I would think St. Louis' absence is proof of the opposite.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #506
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see why Nash is still considered so high end. I count him as pretty over rated. Am I being too harsh?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #507
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nash has 30 goals in the last 70 games. He's not exactly a total pylon. He has international pedigree. Was one of Canada's best forwards in 2010. Is huge, mobile, comfortable with the big ice, a goal scorer, plays either wing comfortably. In other words, he brings alot of experience and versatility to the roster for Babcock. No problem with that pick.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #508
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
St. Louis deserved to be there this year and deserved to be there four years ago. Hockey Canada and its club politics is ridiculous sometimes.
Martin St. Louis is 12th amoung Canadian Forwards in points. That in it's self means he's in the debatable category for deserving a spot on the team. Given the depth of this country, I'd hardly say that's "rediculous" politics at play, it's simply a tough decision made on a good player in favour of some other good players.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #509
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite a few questionable omissions, I think overall that's a pretty good roster. Unlike with the Oilers, most countries would gladly swap this roster for theirs. I'm sure a few of these guys will get injured over the next month...so I would expect a couple changes.

However...after that presentation spectacle, I hope that's not a sign of how much pressure Team Canada and the Country puts on this group. The Games are important, but I really hope the guys go and have fun too. Don't take it so damn seriously that you start freezing up, afraid to make mistakes and let your country down.

If everything goes well and everyone is in the proper mindset, this team should win Gold.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #510
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Martin St. Louis is 12th amoung Canadian Forwards in points. That in it's self means he's in the debatable category for deserving a spot on the team. Given the depth of this country, I'd hardly say that's "rediculous" politics at play, it's simply a tough decision made on a good player in favour of some other good players plus Nash and Carter.
fyp
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #511
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nash has 30 goals in the last 70 games. He's not exactly a total pylon. He has international pedigree. Was one of Canada's best forwards in 2010. Is huge, mobile, comfortable with the big ice, a goal scorer, plays either wing comfortably. In other words, he brings alot of experience and versatility to the roster for Babcock. No problem with that pick.
As an extra forward Nash actually makes a lot of sense.

Can play anywhere in your line up, has international experience, always rose to the occasion in past tournaments, coaching staff loves him, and brings size, speed and skill.

Good guy to have in the press box to try and change momentum if needed.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #512
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Calling it now, Rick Nash, team Canada MVP.

This is one of the most puzzling popular opinions on co in recent memory.

I get why giroux didn't make it, points, but unreliable.

Didn't St. Louis get selected in 2010 but have an injury?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #513
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It does seem that if it was a toss up between players, Canada chose scoring over playmaking. Carter, Marleau, Nash over St. Louis, Giroux, Thornton. Can't say I disagree with the strategy.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #514
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Believe it was Friedman who was mentioning that they were afraid of perimeter players on the big ice, wanted speed and goal scoring ability from guys who were willing to drive to the middle of the ice.

Nash and Carter both fit that bill.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #515
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Out of curiosity- after this announcement, can players be taken out of roster and swapped for another for a reason other than injury?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #516
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
And he's Ovechkin's shadow.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #517
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Looks like Team Canada paid a lot of attention to players' natural positions.

Biggest snubs are probably Giroux, E Staal, Thornton -- all natural centers that haven't played much wing. Nash, Benn, Marleau, Carter make it in having played a lot of wing. I'm pretty sad Giroux won't be out there: so creative offensively, and can be decent defensively.

I remember last year, Bergeron was the WTF pick. Seems he's grown on people for his intangibles: best FO% guy, great PK guy. I would've wanted to see Mike Richards in this year as a WTF intangible guy: good PK guy, gritty, fast. Was the 2nd best player last Olympics, playing alongside Toews on Canada's '4th line.'

Seabrook and Boyle out, Vlasic and Hamhuis in, to favour 4 LD 4 RD

I'm also surprised on the big hard-on for Jeff Carter by team Canada. He was the last-player snub 4 years ago, and made the team this year. I find his game so one dimensional. Get the puck, shoot the puck. Yes, (bad) teams love emphasizing shooting. But so many times, he destroys offensive momentum by shooting when a better player could hold onto the puck and develop a better play.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #518
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nash is there on his past history and not not this year's performance, which I am not a fan of. Going into a short tournament you are better off taking the hot hands IMO.

On that same note they should have taken Giroux, who has been playing really well as of late.

I really like the Benn selection. I don't mind the Carter selection, he is a goal-scoring machine and steps up in big games.

St. Louis - I feel bad for him but suspect they just couldn't justify bringing him.

Glad they learned from the Seabrook mistake - Keith will play well with anyone.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #519
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wrong Thread,

Last edited by JobHopper; 01-07-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: wrong thread
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #520
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It does seem that if it was a toss up between players, Canada chose scoring over playmaking. Carter, Marleau, Nash over St. Louis, Giroux, Thornton. Can't say I disagree with the strategy.
I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Believe it was Friedman who was mentioning that they were afraid of perimeter players on the big ice, wanted speed and goal scoring ability from guys who were willing to drive to the middle of the ice. Nash and Carter both fit that bill.
Overthinking it again. Here's a really easy quiz question for you: of these four players, who is the best at playing hockey?

Chris Kunitz
Patrick Marleau
Jeff Carter
Claude Giroux

They should have taken their best players, and they left two of them at home.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
get on with it , speaker battle