Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #21
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went for 3 nights and 4 days with my dad and bro. We didn't party.

We gambled and saw a few shows, went to an outlet mall.

Would not want to go for more than 4 days, that was a pretty rough few days, regardless of no drinking. I can only imagine how much of a mess I would have been if there'd been lots of heavy drinking.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If it's a trip with the girl friend / wife westjetvactions is a good route for an air/hotel deal.

I go several times a year with friends and for work and here's my advice outside of that mentioned above:

Air:

I find booking two separate one way (direct) flights is the way to go. I usually go from a Tuesday to a Monday... and that seems to be the best price I can get.

My advice on air would be to make sure you have direct flights. I always cringe hearing people tell me they've booked a trip to Vegas with several connecting flights for more money than I pay to fly direct.

I used to get round trip direct flights for as low as $280 about 3 years ago but now it's closer to $400.

Hotel:

I use hotels.ca

The big schtick in Vegas is resort fees. Most hotels that appear cheap have a clause where when you show up (even if you've pre paid) they charge you between 6 - 20 a night extra for a "resort" fee. They say it's for the pool, gym etc... and it's not negotiable.

In addition, if you need internet access (I do for work) most hotels will soak you for an extra 10 - 15 per night for internet access.

So in some cases you think you're getting an awesome deal pre paying on a strip hotel only to find you you'll actually be paying close to double.

If you want a nice place if you're travelling with a female I'd just bite the bullet and get a highly rated hotel on the strip and just shell out the money.

If you're travelling solo or with the boys and need a hotel just to crash and don't care about the frills I recommend the Super 8 on Koval. It's right behind the Paris hotel and there's no resort fee and it has free internet. It's got a great BBQ restaurant and a Brewster's style Micro Brewery in house and beer is $1.50 a pint 24 hours a day. It's also stumbling distance from the strip. I usually stay here when I go down to party and it's $40 - $50 a night with no hidden costs.

Another option on the classier side is to check time-share sites to rent a condo for your stay. In some cases you can get a suite at the MGM Signature (or comparable) for a pretty good rate.

Car:

Unless you're going to be too drunk to drive the majority of your stay, I absolutely recommend getting a rental car.

You get off the plane and step right on to the Rental Car Shuttle at the airport and it takes you 5 mins away to pick up a car.

I use my Amex to decline all insurance scams and get something like a Charger or Crysler 300 for between $20 and $30 a day.

Cabs add up quick in Vegas and for shopping etc it's great to have a car as all hotels have free parking.

Hope this helps someone.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain_Obvious For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #23
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
I would cab or limo anywhere in Vegas. Don't rent. Surprisingly limos can be a lot cheaper than cabs if you have a large party. Sounds like you don't though.

My Vegas faves in no particular order:

Hotels: Venetian, Aria (City Center), Mirage, Bellagio
Clubs: Prive, Tryst, Pure
Shows: Love (Cirque de Solei), Jay Leno, anything at Spearmint Rhino...bring the wife.
Shopping: Forum Shops (Caesars), Fashion Mall, Outlets
Restaurant: The Country Club (Wynn) - date quality
Quick food: Carnegie Deli (Mirage), California Pizza Kitchen (Mirage), Earl of Sandwich (Planet Hollywood), Lemongrass (Aria)
Poker Rooms: Bellagio, Wynn, Venetian...Mirage gets an honourable mention for it's laid back atmosphere.

I would highly recommended passing on any of the following hotels: Excalibur, Stratosphere, Paris, TI, Flamingo, Luxor, Imperial Palace, as well as any other non-strip hotels. Saving the extra money just isn't worth it. Trust me.
Prive is no longer. They had to close due to fines. A club called The Gallery opened in their spot earlier this year. As for hotels I wouldn't be afraid of the Luxor (far away though, but price good) or Flamingo (great pool, not to party but to relax with a bottle and a cabana). I hardly ever use the room in Vegas anyways so why spend twice as much for a room u will never use. I guess I'm biased cause I love the craps at O'Shea's and the 8pm dealers @ PH so I need to be close :P
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You need to go to the moonlight Bunny Ranch and pick up soveneirs for the kids.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #25
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
just got back from Vegas.
The fashion outlet mall that's behind the Stratosphere is the best one around.
trust me, I know, I have the credit card bill from my wife to prove it.
I disagree. I went there once and bought one pair of jeans and was really disappointed. I went back a second time a year later and didn't buy anything. This is coming from a guy who spends $10,000 a year on clothes. I found the selection, sizes and sales people were awful. I won't go back again.

The shops at Caesar's are excellent.

I like the MGM. The West Wing rooms are very nice, the poker room is very beatable, the drinks at poker are high quality, the restaurants are good (highly recommend craftsteak) and the staff are friendly. It's at the end of the strip so it's not really near anything, if that matters. I like to take walks, so it doesn't bother me much.

The Top of the World restaurant in the Stratosphere is amazing. The food and views are incredible. The restaurant is on the 106th floor and after dinner go to the 107th to the lounge for some drinks. Stay away from the 109th floor, where the club/bar is. It sucks. The drinks are warm and in plastic cups. The area around the Strat is scary at best, but the 106th and 107th levels make for a good experience. Take a cab/limo there though. I liked it so much I went back to the 107th lounge to drink the night after I had dinner. They usually have a small band or something there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point

Last edited by squiggs96; 07-25-2011 at 04:15 PM.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You need to go to the moonlight Bunny Ranch and pick up soveneirs for the kids.
Wife is 24 and I am near there too - no $%^&*'ing kids!
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I went down there with a girl I was dating a few years ago, right around the time HBO started running that show on the Bunny Ranch. So she wanted to check it out.

Its an interesting place, but I knew that A) She just wanted to buy a T-Shirt to show off to her friends how cool she was B) there was no way I was talking her into a three way C) There was no way she was leaving me there alone with the credit cards D) It was a little expensive for my tastes anyways.

But we went in, had a drink she talked to a couple of girls, bought a T-Shirt and dragged my out of there by my ear lobe because I was talking to girls.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #28
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've founds some cheap as an Edmontonian Boston Pizza hooker combos that have me staying at the stratosphere. I know it's not a classy place, but is it clean and decent? I know its at the end of the strip and such, but I don't expect we'd care much.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
I've founds some cheap as an Edmontonian Boston Pizza hooker combos that have me staying at the stratosphere. I know it's not a classy place, but is it clean and decent? I know its at the end of the strip and such, but I don't expect we'd care much.

Probably more so the area around the Stratosphere is what u should worry about. Just don't go too far off the property as that part of town can quickly take a turn.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
zhulander
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't stay at the Stratosphere, especially if you're not renting a car. Really really bad location.

If you're on a budget stay at Monte Carlo or Bally. Usually the cheapest room rates with a decent location on the strip.

Using expedia Aug 10-15 with Westject direct flight, NOT including hotel fees ($15-20/day):

Bally - $590/pp
Luxor - $617/pp
Monte Carlo - $642/pp
Mirage - $761/pp
Vdara - $720/pp
Aria - $825/pp (Free breakfast buffet included daily)

Last edited by zhulander; 07-25-2011 at 05:01 PM.
zhulander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #31
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks guys - I will buck up and look more central on the strip.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhulander View Post
Don't stay at the Stratosphere, especially if you're not renting a car. Really really bad location.

If you're on a budget stay at Monte Carlo or Bally. Usually the cheapest room rates with a decent location on the strip.
Ech. Monte Carlo is too expensive for what it is. Best "budget combined with high quality" bet is the Golden Nugget on Freemont, and it's walking distance to the outlet mall. Mind you, my buddy and I are nuts and we walked Freemont to the Strip repeatedly, and only had one "sketchy" experience...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Ech. Monte Carlo is too expensive for what it is. Best "budget combined with high quality" bet is the Golden Nugget on Freemont, and it's walking distance to the outlet mall. Mind you, my buddy and I are nuts and we walked Freemont to the Strip repeatedly, and only had one "sketchy" experience...
We stayed at the Nugget in May, its turned into a bit of a dive. There was a fight on the street behind the hotel at 3 am that had sirens going for a while. We won't be going back.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #34
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
We stayed at the Nugget in May, its turned into a bit of a dive. There was a fight on the street behind the hotel at 3 am that had sirens going for a while. We won't be going back.
Indeed? Hmmm. Hooters it is then. I might even risk Fotzgeralds this trip... well, that or the Venetian.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #35
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I have stayed at the MGM, Stratosphere, T.I. and Excalibur. My favorite of them all is T.I. It is most central of the group and often has great promos.
Strat is a waste of time as you miss out on the true vegas experience. Excalibur was nice for how cheap it was but is still a decent hike anywhere other than the NYNY roller coaster or MGM. I have always found the MGM to be overpriced and too large for my likings.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #36
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've stayed at the Bellagio and Bally's. Thought the Bellagio was pretty overrated. Bally's was decent value. Going to the Flamingo when I go in two weeks. For food, I would recommend the steakhouse at the Venetian. That might have been the best meal I've ever eaten.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #37
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a cheap bum, so I always stay at Imperial Palace if I'm looking to stay on the strip.

If you want to be really cheap, you could always bandit camp too...
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #38
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big votes for Treasure Island from a friend of mine who goes to Vegas about 5 times a year.

I actually don't mind Excalibur, it's reasonably close to everything, the rooms are nice enough if you do the $20 upgrade trick, and it's always dirt cheap.

Caesar's Palace is great, my girlfriend went in November with three other girls and they got two rooms and direct flights for $500/person. $20 upgrade trick worked for them both and they got nice suites.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #39
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Wife is 24 and I am near there too - no $%^&*'ing kids!
Pictures to prove it and not of you.
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burn13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #40
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn13 View Post
Pictures to prove it and not of you.
No wants to see my italian face.