Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #1
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Driving to the US - help needed on documentations

I know some of you have driven down to the US and back recently.

I am asking for someone not on CP about what kind of COVID documentation (if any) will the US border patrol look for to enter the US through land border by car. Trip is planned for April/May timeframe.

They want to be prepared so that they won't get turned back because they forgot to do a rapid test or have the vax record ready, etc. They want to hear some actual recent experiences.

It will be for a Canadian citizen and a Canadian PR traveling. I know coming back to Canada nothing is required, but I can't find any definitive information about entering US by land.

Thank you in advance.
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I haven't been asked recently, but I also don't know if that's because we have provided documentation in the past and it exists on our "file" somehow.

We did a day trip a couple of weeks ago, and we were not asked then.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I crossed at Roosville in January and February 2023 and was asked for vaccine docs both times.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:47 AM   #4
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parents cross at Roosville probably once a month and make the general claim that they are never asked. In my experience though, I am asked about half the time.

I believe the current extension on the rule is until April 10, at which point it may be extended. And who knows.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had 4 cars drive to whitefish 2 weeks ago and everyone was asked for COVID doc’s.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fact Sheet: Guidance for Travelers to Enter the U.S. at Land Ports of Entry and Ferry Terminals

Release Date: October 29, 2021
Updated Date: April 21, 2022
As of Thursday, April 21, 2022, DHS will extend COVID-19-related land border entry requirements. Non-U.S. travelers seeking to enter the United States via land ports of entry and ferry terminals at the U.S.-Mexico and U.S.-Canada borders are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination upon request.
These restrictions apply to non-U.S. travelers who are traveling for essential or non-essential reasons. They do not apply to U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents, or U.S. nationals.
This announcement does not affect requirements for entry into the United States by air.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/...erry-terminals
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 08:00 AM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Fact Sheet: Guidance for Travelers to Enter the U.S. at Land Ports of Entry and Ferry Terminals

Release Date: October 29, 2021
Updated Date: April 21, 2022
As of Thursday, April 21, 2022, DHS will extend COVID-19-related land border entry requirements. Non-U.S. travelers seeking to enter the United States via land ports of entry and ferry terminals at the U.S.-Mexico and U.S.-Canada borders are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination upon request.
These restrictions apply to non-U.S. travelers who are traveling for essential or non-essential reasons. They do not apply to U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents, or U.S. nationals.
This announcement does not affect requirements for entry into the United States by air.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/...erry-terminals
Im curious what they consider "fully vaccinated".

2 shots? 3 shots? 4?

I have 4 myself but am done getting them on advice of my physician. Im sure thats adequate but really curious what the standard is for the Americans.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:02 AM   #8
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

On the same lines, I will be driving with my son from Seattle up to Calgary for the game against Minnesota Saturday. I'm a US citizen - anything I should need covid-wise (or otherwise) to cross into Canada?

Really excited to be let down by a Flames performance!
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:45 AM   #9
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

We cross frequently at Coutts, Del Bonita and Carway. Have never been asked to produce documentation, but (sometimes) have been asked if we have have been vaccinated. Last crossed at Carway on Feb 18th and were not asked anything about vaccination status. We just keep the paper copies in the glove box and have them on our phones as well.

As far as we could tell, having looked into this many times ourselves do to frequently changing rules, fully vaccinated in the US is two shots. No testing required.

The thing is, it doesn't matter what the rules actually are, it matters what the Border Patrol agent asks for. Best advice is to just have your proof of vacination available, if they as they ask and if they don't they don't. As you can see already, we've all had different experiences when crossing. I also believe having crossed many times and going to one of two destinations each time makes a difference vs someone taking a one off trip.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-02-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 08:54 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

2 shots? 3 shots? 4?

I have 4 myself but am done getting them on advice of my physician. Im sure thats adequate but really curious what the standard is for the Americans.
I think 3, but they'll probably let you in if you have 2? I don't think PCR tests is a requirement anymore either.

I have 4 shots and my wife 3 and I haven't driven to the US, but when we took a flight, they once asked if we had been vaccinated at least 3 times. Then, they asked for our vaccination records, but when we pulled up the QR code on our phones, they said, "Yeah, good enough".
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

2 shots? 3 shots? 4?

2 shots unless it is a "single dose" vaccine, i.e. Johnson & Johnson.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lly-vaccinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC
Are you Fully Vaccinated for Air Travel to the United States?

You are considered fully vaccinated:

2 weeks (14 days) after your dose of an accepted single-dose vaccine
2 weeks (14 days) after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series
2 weeks (14 days) after you received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine (not placebo) in a clinical trial
2 weeks (14 days) after you received 2 doses of any “mix-and-match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines administered at least 17 days apart*
If you don’t meet these requirements, you are NOT considered fully vaccinated. A booster dose is not needed to meet this requirement.

A person who has received only one dose of an accepted 2-dose series and has recovered from COVID-19 does not meet this definition, and therefore is NOT considered fully vaccinated for travel to the United States.

*CDC has not recommended the use of mix-and-match COVID-19 vaccine primary series. However, such strategies are increasingly common in many countries outside of the United States. Therefore, for the purpose of interpreting vaccination records for travel to the United States, CDC will accept combinations of accepted COVID-19 vaccines.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #12
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've crossed several times in the last year and have never been asked for proof, and the last couple of times they didn't even ask about vaccination.

But obviously from the above, sometimes they do ask for proof still. So just take that along and you'll be fine. 2 doses is all that's needed and there are no testing requirements.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #13
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Crossed at Coutts 3 weeks ago, I was asked if I have been covid vaccinated but wasn't asked to provide any proof.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:28 AM   #14
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post
On the same lines, I will be driving with my son from Seattle up to Calgary for the game against Minnesota Saturday. I'm a US citizen - anything I should need covid-wise (or otherwise) to cross into Canada?

Really excited to be let down by a Flames performance!

Nothing to enter Canada
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #15
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually called border services last week to ask these questions, very frustrating that there isn't clear up-to-date info on the internet.

The border agent I talked to told me they're not asking at land crossings anymore, at airports the responsibility has been shifted to the airlines. The airlines decide when or who to ask for proof, everyone does the vaccination declaration.

I'm sure if I called again and talked to someone else I would get different info.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 12:22 PM   #16
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I drove down to Seattle from Vancouver and back on Saturday with my PR wife and didn't even hear the words "vaccination" or "COVID".

I guess they COULD ask but unlikely they will ask.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote