Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | Realtor® & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #2961
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
If your kids only walk around then you are a miracle worker. Kid above us runs, jumps, stomps, dances and rolls. Especially when he wakes up in morning at 6:45 am. That's fun.

I'm going to do one of those youtube reaction videos whenever we have people over and the upstairs neighbors are home. It's always reassuring to see their reactions to confirm that we're not crazy.
Should have bought the penthouse.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #2962
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If your kids only walk around then you are a miracle worker. Kid above us runs, jumps, stomps, dances and rolls. Especially when he wakes up in morning at 6:45 am. That's fun.
6:45AM is called rare sleep in days in our house. The party starts at 5:30AM daily, ends at 9:30PM. Count your blessings.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #2963
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
You are crazy. But its for living in a condo and expecting it to be quiet...
I've had friends live in condos and never heard any real noise before so I never even thought about it. Now I know it's because none of them had kids living above them and they had carpet. Our units are cork and we have a kid above us.

Buying a unit that wasn't on the top floor is probably the biggest mistake I have made in my life to this point.

Last edited by polak; 02-09-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #2964
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I know right?

Live in whatever building you like, it's your right after all, but know that whoever is living under you is probably wishing all hell upon you and your family because you and your kids have now significantly impacted their enjoyment of their home which cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars and their quality of life as they are now at the whim of your schedule and your kids mood.
Geez, is that sarcasm?

Pretty obvious downfall of buying cheap wood condo product. It sucks, but probably should have thought of that more before buying. Even a a SFH one should do the best they can to figure out what neighbours are like as much as they can. There's some things that you can say "shoot, didn't think of that" but noise from above in a wood condo. Seems a little obvious. I'd expect it in a semi-detached townhouse.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #2965
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's life with condos/apartments.

The couple next to me continually physically fight, smash things, and the guy tried to hang himself from the staircase railing a month or two ago.

In my old place, the people partied so hard upstairs that my plates and dishes actually bounced off the counter into the air.

You're always going to have noise in apartments/condos, especially cheap ass wood framed condos
Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #2966
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Geez, is that sarcasm?

Pretty obvious downfall of buying cheap wood condo product. It sucks, but probably should have thought of that more before buying. Even a a SFH one should do the best they can to figure out what neighbours are like as much as they can. There's some things that you can say "shoot, didn't think of that" but noise from above in a wood condo. Seems a little obvious. I'd expect it in a semi-detached townhouse.
Like I said, I've spent many hours playing fifa, watching hockey, pre drinking and doing whatever on the couches of my friends who live in similar wooden frame BS condos. Yes you hear the occasional noise. Footsteps, things falling, occasional screaming, that kind of stuff.

Then there's my place where the light fixtures are constantly shaking due to the people above me and their little kid who apparently has free reign to play however he sees fit. Trust me. If I had ever experienced this any where before, I would not have bought this place. Not a chance.

I don't know. I guess I'm the rare type of person who tries to make an effort to keep my noise down for the neighbours below me?

Last edited by polak; 02-09-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #2967
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, I've spent many hours playing fifa, watching hockey, pre drinking and doing whatever on the couches of my friends who live in similar wooden frame BS condos. Yes you hear the occasional noise. Footsteps, things falling, occasional screaming, that kind of stuff.

Then there's my place where the light fixtures are constantly shaking due to the people above me and their little kid who apparently has free reign to play however he sees fit. Trust me. If I had ever experienced this any where before, I would not have bought this place. Not a chance.

I swear I need to have CP over one day
Weird that the upstairs neighbour lets his kid play with 'free reign' instead of stapling his feet to the floor so you can have some quiet time.

Very rude of him.

Might be time to move.
Quote:

I don't know. I guess I'm the rare type of person who tries to make an effort to keep my noise down for the neighbours below me?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #2968
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Weird that the upstairs neighbour lets his kid play with 'free reign' instead of stapling his feet to the floor so you can have some quiet time.

Very rude of him.

Might be time to move.
Oh okay, so #### the people who live below you, little Jimmy needs to be allowed to sprint in circles and jump off couches cause your attempts at parenting don't involve teaching them any sort of respect for your neighbours.

"Hey Jimmy, no jumping inside, it's not nice to the people who live 4 inches under your feet"

That's too hard?

And trust me, if the market wasn't like this I'd be long gone. I've seriously considered moving back in with my parents and renting out the place instead to escape the noise.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #2969
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is funny to read as a non-codo/apartment dweller parent. Kids don't know how to move slowly. They run and play. That's what kids do. I couldn't imagine telling my daughter she had to walk on her tip toes because we live in a communal building.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #2970
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
This is funny to read as a non-codo/apartment dweller parent. Kids don't know how to move slowly. They run and play. That's what kids do. I couldn't imagine telling my daughter she had to walk on her tip toes because we live in a communal building.
I know it's impossible. I know we're S.O.L.

I knew it the moment I saw the kid when we moved in as we both had the same possession date.

Hence my original plea for him to consider not living in a wooden condo if he has young kids. For the sake of the poor souls who end up living below him.

I can't even imagine if there was more than one. I'd probably be in jail right now.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #2971
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Polak = Mr Heckles?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #2972
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
That's life with condos/apartments.

The couple next to me continually physically fight, smash things, and the guy tried to hang himself from the staircase railing a month or two ago.

In my old place, the people partied so hard upstairs that my plates and dishes actually bounced off the counter into the air.

You're always going to have noise in apartments/condos, especially cheap ass wood framed condos
Wow. You sure are frugal
Old 02-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #2973
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Calgary-area population grew by 2.4% to last July, Statistics Canada estimates

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...nada-estimates

The growth rate in the Calgary region was second highest in the country, behind only Kelowna, which grew by 3.1 per cent.

The increase puts the population for the Calgary region at just shy of 1.44 million people — 1,439,756. But growth in the city apparently slowed — in each of the previous three years, Statistics Canada estimated growth of more than three per cent.

With continuing economic uncertainty and job losses in Calgary and Alberta since the end of June, that slowing trend could continue.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #2974
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Calgary-area population grew by 2.4% to last July, Statistics Canada estimates

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...nada-estimates

The growth rate in the Calgary region was second highest in the country, behind only Kelowna, which grew by 3.1 per cent.

The increase puts the population for the Calgary region at just shy of 1.44 million people — 1,439,756. But growth in the city apparently slowed — in each of the previous three years, Statistics Canada estimated growth of more than three per cent.

With continuing economic uncertainty and job losses in Calgary and Alberta since the end of June, that slowing trend could continue.
Interesting (haven't read the article yet). And population growth (among employment and interest rates) would be one of the biggest impactors on real estate pricing.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #2975
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Calgary's population was 1.1 million. How is it 1.4? Is Airdrie added in or something?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #2976
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I thought Calgary's population was 1.1 million. How is it 1.4? Is Airdrie added in or something?
CMA is 1.2 as 2015. I thought it was 1.4 but I just checked.

Calgary proper is 1.1 as of the 2011 census.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #2977
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Region

The Calgary CMA, as defined by Statistics Canada, includes the following nine municipalities:[3]
In the 2011 Census, the Calgary CMA had a population of 1,214,839

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

2015 = 1.440 M.

Last edited by troutman; 02-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #2978
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Why isn't Okotoks counted?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #2979
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Why isn't Okotoks counted?
Good question. Okotoks must be closer than Beiseker.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/92-195-...mr/def-eng.htm

To be included in the CMA or CA, other adjacent municipalities must have a high degree of integration with the core, as measured by commuting flows derived from previous census place of work data.

Forward commuting flow rule: Given a minimum of 100 commuters, at least 50% of the employed labour force living in the CSD works in the delineation core

Last edited by troutman; 02-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #2980
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Cause CMA's are calculated by the amount of daily commuters into the main city.

Not enough people from the Foothills MD (which Okotoks is a part of) commute into work in Calgary for them to be counted in our CMA.

It's BS really cause Okotoks itself should totally qualify but unfortunately, the MD does not.

Tags
housing , real estate