Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #401
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well we are talking about gamepass and PSnow subscriptions not keys from indie developers

CDkeys is not G2A they do not sell stolen keys

You guys are welcome to spend more though
They have brand new games 20% off, but sure, let's only focus on the subscriptions???

I'm not supporting sites like this. It's extremely likely that they are skirting all sorts of legal rules to pull of what they do. I'd rather the money I spend on games are put in the place that benefits the developer the most.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #402
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They have brand new games 20% off, but sure, let's only focus on the subscriptions???

I'm not supporting sites like this. It's extremely likely that they are skirting all sorts of legal rules to pull of what they do. I'd rather the money I spend on games are put in the place that benefits the developer the most.
The conversation was about subscriptions...that is literally what was being discussed pertaining to the financing with the New Xbox and if it was a good deal.

Again spend more on gamepass if you like, Microsoft needs the money lol

This is what I get for trying to save a couple people money on PS+/Gamepass

The subscriptions on CDKeys are legit and legal
Old 10-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #403
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fate of the Fallout series will really dictate what I buy. If Xbox makes Fallout an exclusive title, ill have to jump ship from playstation, even if its years out from launch.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #404
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The fate of the Fallout series will really dictate what I buy. If Xbox makes Fallout an exclusive title, ill have to jump ship from playstation, even if its years out from launch.

Fallout 4 wasn't good enough for a Bethesda Fallout to be a console seller for me. Not that it matters because I also have a PC so I'll be sticking with Playstation as my console, but if I didn't have a PC and had to pick one console? An Obsidian Fallout might change my mind.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #405
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fallout 4 was good but their engine was definitely showing it's age. Then they decided they wanted to join the game as a service bandwagon and the disaster of Fallout 76 was the result. I have little faith they are capable of making a great Fallout game again.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #406
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can do this all day.
That's not what she said.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #407
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox Series X is supposedly quiet, but running extremely hot like nuclear hot. Cue RROD 2.0?

Quote:
"The Series X is hot, like really hot!" Bogard said in the video. "It doesn’t make any noise, but damn it’s hot! The console is emitting heat like crazy. It’s almost like a fireplace shaft. You can heat up your flat with it."
https://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-s...-early-reports
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #408
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the heat is leaving the machine then that's a good thing. It is a lot of power in a relatively small form factor. Just make sure it has a lot of space to breathe in your setup.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #409
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the quality of games doesn't suffer when pretty much everyone gets the game "free" day one with their subscriptions anyway

Talking about across the board, Gamepass, PSnow, everywhere

No real incentive to create an amazing game that sells well, hopefully not more focused on DLC and micro transactions.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #410
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hope the quality of games doesn't suffer when pretty much everyone gets the game "free" day one with their subscriptions anyway

No real incentive to create an amazing game that sells well, hopefully not more focused on DLC and micro transactions.
No one knows the deal that the companies get from XBOX for having their games on game pass, which there are rumors that is a pretty fair deal. Also, the games that are "free" on day one are owned by Microsoft.....so they are getting there big bucks anyways.

I don't see how this will effect the quality of games in the future at all.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #411
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Western Digital has announced an SSD that is compatible with the PS5:

https://bgr.com/2020/10/08/ps5-ssd-e...50-compatible/

WD Black SN850 SSD NVME M.2 PCIe 4.0

500GB = $149* and up
1TB = $229* and up
2TB = $449* and up

* prices in USD
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #412
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm also a bit worried about the future of games because of services like Gamepass. Short term it's definitely a great deal for gamers but I can see an increase of games as a service that rely on microtransactions to make money.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 12:00 AM   #413
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
No one knows the deal that the companies get from XBOX for having their games on game pass, which there are rumors that is a pretty fair deal. Also, the games that are "free" on day one are owned by Microsoft.....so they are getting there big bucks anyways.

I don't see how this will effect the quality of games in the future at all.
But why outdo yourself? pump out more quantity so the service can say

"we have X amount of games" "X amount of new games this month"

Almost nobody will be buying xbox games when nearly everyone has game pass...what is the incentive to make a really good game?

Kinda reminds me of music...nobody buys albums anymore and the overall quality seems to have suffered. People just want to pump out a quick single and make money.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #414
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
But why outdo yourself? pump out more quantity so the service can say

"we have X amount of games" "X amount of new games this month"

Almost nobody will be buying xbox games when nearly everyone has game pass...what is the incentive to make a really good game?

Kinda reminds me of music...nobody buys albums anymore and the overall quality seems to have suffered. People just want to pump out a quick single and make money.
I don't know, I find that there are still plenty of artists churning out quality albums nowadays. Ditto for streaming services like Netflix, who have featured a number of pretty good quality original series in addition to all of the other stuff. This all cuts both ways - I've read remarks from a few developers of higher-quality but slightly lesser-known games who proclaimed that Gamepass provided them exposure that they would have otherwise never had, were they simply hoping for people to buy their game in the store.

At the end of the day, we simply aren't in the "go to the record store and buy an album" era any longer, and soon won't be in the "pay 40-90 bucks for every new game you want to play" era either, assuming services like Gamepass continue to proliferate. It's valid to wonder how such a service will affect the motivations of developers and publishers in the future, but at this point that is surely just speculative.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #415
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still prefer to buy music CDs as long as I don't only like one or two songs.

I don't think I'll ever completely go away from buying physical copies of console games either unless they become like PC games and there's no option. I just rarely buy them on release anymore because $80-$90 is too much for me.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:13 AM   #416
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

I don't think I'll ever completely go away from buying physical copies of console games either unless they become like PC games and there's no option. I just rarely buy them on release anymore because $80-$90 is too much for me.
The biggest reason I like it for PC is they actually seem to go on sale and go down in price. PS store and Xbox store the sales suck and they stay $70+ for waaaaay too long so you're usually better off buying physical copies

Last edited by btimbit; 10-11-2020 at 09:18 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #417
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

You my friend are the exception. Games are the last bastion for physical sales though. I myself prefer digital, getting up to change a disc feels very old at this point.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #418
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
You my friend are the exception. Games are the last bastion for physical sales though. I myself prefer digital, getting up to change a disc feels very old at this point.

The reason I like physical is other than being able to sell games I no longer want I like building a collection. Having to constantly change the disc doesn’t affect me because I focus on one game at a time. I don’t play multiplayer either. Sports games are really the only games I don’t mind digital because I find them hard to sell.

For music everything is burned to MP3 but I like having something physical.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #419
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The biggest reason I like it for PC is they actually seem to go on sale and go down in price. PS store and Xbox store the sales suck and they stay $70+ for waaaaay too long

Yeah, other than Call of Duty titles. lol Other than WW2 I don’t think I’ve played one in a decade because Activision doesn’t want to drop the regular price of a 6+ year old game so when it does go on sale it doesn’t really look like it is.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #420
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There going to be any more presale on the PS5 or XB before launch? I didn't snag any first time around. That said in this current economy I kind of feel in a few weeks after launch they may be available. I hope at least.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote