Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Ducks Ducks confirm Kesler and Eaves will miss the entire 19/20 season

Might be the end for both their careers, but I imagine both will try a comeback.

Anaheim Ducks @AnaheimDucks
NEWS: Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray confirmed today both Patrick Eaves and Ryan Kesler will miss the entirety of the 2019-20 season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if we see Kesler play again in the NHL. His career has been derailed over the last few years due to injuries and he is no spring chicken. He turned 35 this year, and missing a whole season at that age might make it tough to come back.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's 10M added to the 8.5M in room that they already have. They are primed to be players in the 'who needs cap space' game.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

So the Ducks got nine games out of that Eaves contract. Unreal.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Wow, that's 10M added to the 8.5M in room that they already have. They are primed to be players in the 'who needs cap space' game.
It's not quite as big a benefit as you'd think. While they could exceed the cap by the values of those contracts, the salaries are still counting against the cap. They won't be banking any space from those contracts being on LTIR.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the Ducks aren't exactly rolling in cash - they won't be looking to up their payroll by another $10M
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, but there is exactly zero stress to pushing up against the cap ceiling for them this year. That's 8.5M in fun money, and they are well situated already for next years cap.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And the Ducks aren't exactly rolling in cash - they won't be looking to up their payroll by another $10M
Wouldn't insurance likely cover them here?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Not all contracts are insured. It would be interesting to know the %
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Not all contracts are insured. It would be interesting to know the %
A long time ago in a fan960 interview Sutter said that contracts offer 5 years in length where uninsurable. Given the volume and 8 year limit, I am sure that most contract are at least partially insured.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Even if it does (and it probably does), they are not going to be competitive this year anyway, meaning their gate revenues are going to be even lower than usual, so they have no incentive to spend more than necessary.

If you're going to suck, and your fans are going to look like empty seats, why spend to the cap, just because the room is there?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Ducks were to spend to the cap this year, and take on a combination of draft picks, young players, and UFAs, they can still put out an entertaining product for this year, and complete a very fast two year rebuild. As much as I dislike the Ducks, I think that they are going to only have a small window of not being a factor in the Pacific.

Having two LTIR players this year, gives them all kinds of flexibility in a year when they weren't going to be competitive anyway.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Even if it does (and it probably does), they are not going to be competitive this year anyway, meaning their gate revenues are going to be even lower than usual, so they have no incentive to spend more than necessary.

If you're going to suck, and your fans are going to look like empty seats, why spend to the cap, just because the room is there?
Don't really disagree, just wondering about insurances.

In any case cap space is so tight around the league, wouldn't be surprised to see Ducks "sell" some of it somehow.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Ducks were to spend to the cap this year, and take on a combination of draft picks, young players, and UFAs, they can still put out an entertaining product for this year, and complete a very fast two year rebuild. As much as I dislike the Ducks, I think that they are going to only have a small window of not being a factor in the Pacific.

Having two LTIR players this year, gives them all kinds of flexibility in a year when they weren't going to be competitive anyway.
Maybe, sure. But that doesn't mean there's an appetite from ownership to lose (a lot) more money than necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
A long time ago in a fan960 interview Sutter said that contracts offer 5 years in length where uninsurable. Given the volume and 8 year limit, I am sure that most contract are at least partially insured.
Anything and everything is insurable, it just depends on how much you are prepared to pay.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #16
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

In regarding the news Kesler might miss the entire 2019-2020 season.

Spoiler!
Old 09-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only if they already planned to spend that extra $8.5 million, otherwise it makes no difference.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder f this might be the route that Frolik ends up. Send him to Anaheim for Eaves, who gets LTIR allowing the Flames to exceed the cap and sign both Tkachuck and Mangiapane.

Ducks get a player who actually plays for them.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I wonder f this might be the route that Frolik ends up. Send him to Anaheim for Eaves, who gets LTIR allowing the Flames to exceed the cap and sign both Tkachuck and Mangiapane.

If we trade Frolik, we get up to 4.3 million in added cap relief. I believe that will be enough to sign both Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Capfriendly currently shows that we have slightly over 7 million. If Frolik is traded for picks or propects, it goes up to 11.3 million. Take aside the rumoured 850k ask by Mangiapane. You still have over 10 million in cap space for Tkachuk, which should be more than enough.

This only happens if we have no contract coming back though.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #20
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

I like this idea on our end.
It's possible though that Ducks are content to be bottom feeders this year and look for higher restock picks.
If this saved real dollars I can see them having interest. I guess they have to ice someone so might be marginal savings.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote