Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1110519298295037952
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #42
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
good.
it's disgusting.
Cole’s notes version on this? I’m finding it hard to keep up
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #43
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Now that Quebec jobs are impacted, we'll probably see some quick reaction.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #44
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand China's tactics here. They are attacking our agriculture industry, obviously in response to Canada approving the Huawei executive extradition process.

If they wanted to pressure/harm Trudeau, why wouldn't they have gone after a Quebec or Ontario industry? What is an attack on the Prairies going to accomplish for China, when Trudeau never had support from the Prairies to begin with?

Edit: I am aware that one of Viterra's canola crushers is located in Becancour, QC, as is mentioned in the CBC tweet. It is 1 crusher though, meanwhile Viterra operates 16 grain elevators (IIRC - I worked for them for years) and 1 canola crusher on the prairies, where they purchase billions of dollars worth of canola from prairie farmers. China's canola restriction/ban is hurting the Prairies, not Quebec.

Last edited by The Fonz; 03-26-2019 at 08:44 AM.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I don't understand China's tactics here. They are attacking our agriculture industry, obviously in response to Canada approving the Huawei executive extradition process.

If they wanted to pressure/harm Trudeau, why wouldn't they have gone after a Quebec or Ontario industry? What is an attack on the Prairies going to accomplish for China, when Trudeau never had support from the Prairies to begin with?
Its easy to go after certain industries that can be harmed (like agriculture imports). I don't think they care enough about the Canadian political scene to put enough thought into going after Ontario/Quebec directly.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #46
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

In this case I think its timing.

This is REALLY bad news for canola farmers as they are about 3 weeks from deciding what they are going to grow for the season......seeding is coming soon and you only get one crack a year at it, so to speak.

So do they roll th dice that other markets can be secured by the time crops are ready for sale or do they change up everything and grow something else and again there is a market big enough to absorb what ever they decide to raise this year?

Really tough situation to be in.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Now that Quebec jobs are impacted, we'll probably see some quick reaction.
I'm not sure what can be done. China is doing this because they can as it's clear they like our Prime Minister even less than disgruntled Canadians and are twisting the knife in his back. It's unfortunate that this is at the expense of the livelihood of Canadians but our PM certainly has brought some of this on himself and made this situation much more difficult than it should have been and hopefully it's another thing Canadians ponder come election time when the Liberals dust off their fear-mongering tactics.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1110551360347488256
Old 03-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #49
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Here's the decisive leadership one looks for in their PM.

Quote:
Trudeau says he takes the canola dispute with China very seriously. His government is considering sending a high level delegation to China to address the matter.

LOL!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #50
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

LOL!!!
I'm sure they will politely ask the Chinese to change their minds. They may even say 'please'. That ought to do it, after all we're Canadian and everyone must love us right?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #51
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

LOL!!!
Look out China!

crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #52
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what exactly do you think that the government can/should do here? Sending a delegation doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #53
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So what exactly do you think that the government can/should do here? Sending a delegation doesn't seem like a bad idea.
maybe the PM or one more of the higher ministers can get on the phone/ facetime to their peers in China and start dealing with it quickly at the highest levels instead of "considering" sending a delegation. especially when there are mixed messages/falsehoods as to why the ban is occurring.

plus, the delegation is being considered, not actually happening as of yet.
b) how long is it going to take and how much damage to the industry will occur before there is any concrete action taken?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #54
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Start selectively banning Chinese imports...??
Maybe until a message is sent.

Are we that dependent on them for cheap crap that we can't make a decision to not do business with them until they start playing more fairly?
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #55
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
I'd like to know why we're doing America's dirty work and paying the economic price, while getting nothing in return from Trump & friends.

We're taking a bullet for the US, from what I understand (and I'll admit I haven't followed this Huawei situation too closely), so it should be on the US to absorb the market that they just cost us.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I'd like to know why we're doing America's dirty work and paying the economic price, while getting nothing in return from Trump & friends.

We're taking a bullet for the US, from what I understand (and I'll admit I haven't followed this Huawei situation too closely), so it should be on the US to absorb the market that they just cost us.
Sounds a LOT like the carbon tax/coal powered electricity plants question, does it not?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #57
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the news reports I saw had a Chinese relations expert on (or possible former diplomat). He was recommending a response from Canada as well. Of the various options one that caught my attention was his recommendation that Canada cause any Chinese athlete training for the Bejing Winter Olympics to have to leave Canada until the dispute was over.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #58
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Sure....but if it isn't clear by now that "playing nice" doesn't work, when will it become clear? What, realistically, is a "delegation" going to do to the Chinese? Ask politely to please resume importing our products? This decision was made at the top and nothing will change their minds until they feel pain in some way.

I am clear that Trudeau is in a no -win situation when it comes to the Huawei thing as he has to follow law there (this doesnt involve vote rich Que. or party supporting SNC so its different) but when someone declares economic war on you, you fight back any way you can. Whether the two are related or not, matters none.

Its how it is and always has been and for some reason the LIberals decided that they didnt have to play the same way as the rest of the world and that rainbows and unicorns would lead the way to some fantasy utopia where everyone loves us and will do us solids because....well......because.

As soon as EVERYONE realizes we as Canadians are nothing special and no different than any nation out there (in others eyes) the sooner we can start playing on the same field as them. Other nations look out for #1...we dont. Why?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #59
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Other nations look out for #1...we dont. Why?
Because we have a drastically over-inflated sense of our international esteem.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Sure....but if it isn't clear by now that "playing nice" doesn't work, when will it become clear? What, realistically, is a "delegation" going to do to the Chinese? Ask politely to please resume importing our products? This decision was made at the top and nothing will change their minds until they feel pain in some way.

I am clear that Trudeau is in a no -win situation when it comes to the Huawei thing as he has to follow law there (this doesnt involve vote rich Que. or party supporting SNC so its different) but when someone declares economic war on you, you fight back any way you can. Whether the two are related or not, matters none.

Its how it is and always has been and for some reason the LIberals decided that they didnt have to play the same way as the rest of the world and that rainbows and unicorns would lead the way to some fantasy utopia where everyone loves us and will do us solids because....well......because.

As soon as EVERYONE realizes we as Canadians are nothing special and no different than any nation out there (in others eyes) the sooner we can start playing on the same field as them. Other nations look out for #1...we dont. Why?

You have to ask yourself what kind of leverage do we have in trade with China.

https://wits.worldbank.org/CountryPr...ner/by-country

when you look at the above, you come to realize that the amount of stuff that Canada sells to China in the grand scheme of things is fairly small, and we're not really selling them anything that couldn't be replaced by anyone else.

Frankly China's leverage with us is a lot bigger then our leverage with them, That's probably why, China so quickly walked away from a Canada China free trade negotiation when Trudeau started virtue signalling them.

They know right now that they can significantly hurt Canada's balance sheet segment by segment, and while part of the strategy is to retaliate against the Chinese, we have to understand that its not going to have a big effect on them, and will be symbolic at best.

The bottom line is, that I'm onboard with the extradition issues that have to an extent caused this, but at the end of the day, the courts in Canada saw enough to go ahead with the extradition process.

We're going to have to take a long view on this in terms of both, China attacking Canada economically, and in terms of getting the Canadian hostages back.

We don't have anything that we can really hurt them with.

It'll be interesting to see where China attacks next? The big leverage that they haven't really touched is around real estate investing.