Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #1141
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
If new-style math is more intuitive, why have our math test scores in Alberta fallen vs international jurisdictions and other Canadian jurisdictions who have not used 'new math'?
Standardized testing is designed to test a students ability to answer a specific question in a time limited environment.

So which is more important knowing that 6 x 5 = 30 or knowing why 6 x 5 = 30.

Is being able to express 6x5= 30 as 6+6+6+6+6+6 and 5+5+5+5+5+5 and 30/5=6 and 30/6=5 and 10x 3 = 30 and 5x10 -5x4 = 30 important?

If real understanding of Math is important and I’d argue it is important for people entering math based fields then New Math is better.

And as a result of the time spent teaching math as concepts less time is spent on rote learning therefore performance on tests that test rote learning should drop. I’d be much more interested in 1st year engineering math scores in people who did new math vs combined vs old math.

I do think they should add daily math homework to the curriculum to addrese the lack of time spent on rote learning but new math is awesome in terms of explaining how numbers work.

The other thing is that it provides options on how to learn math rather than just one method. If old math didn’t fit your brain it didn’t matter, in new math multiple methods of doing the same thing are taught.

Also this is more debate than the NDP or UCP has on the issue

Edit: maybe I am being overly critical here. Kenny’s campaign promise was to bring back old math. I am not sure that it was included in bill 8

Last edited by GGG; 07-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #1142
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everybody everywhere teaches "new math". Some places go radically further from "carry the one".

6x5 = 30 is nice, but expressing it as 6+6+6+6+6 is useless. How do you express 6.2x5.1 then?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #1143
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam View Post
everybody everywhere teaches "new math". Some places go radically further from "carry the one".

6x5 = 30 is nice, but expressing it as 6+6+6+6+6 is useless. How do you express 6.2x5.1 then?
6.2 + 6.2 + 6.2 + 6.2 + 6.2 + 0.62?
Old 07-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #1144
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
6.2 + 6.2 + 6.2 + 6.2 + 6.2 + 0.62?
And that's why you need to stop posting.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #1145
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
And that's why you need to stop posting.
Well, that's not very kind.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #1146
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

May someone explain wtf "new math" is and what kind of math I learned going to elementary school in the 90s.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #1147
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here it is explained in song.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #1148
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought the whole debate was about new meth.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #1149
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Everybody everywhere teaches "new math". Some places go radically further from "carry the one".

I don’t know how they do decimals in math yet. My kids aren’t their yet. But when you break that down you get.

(6 groups of 5) + (6 groups of .1) + .2(groups of 5) + .2(groups of .1)

30 + .6 + 1+ .02 = 31.62

The concept being demonstrated is that multiplication is a series of sums no matter how complicated the multiplication is. Once that is understood then learning the fastest algorithm makes sense.

Only the final group breaks down at bit but you could say .2 groups of 1 divided by 10. The key thing that is important is that when you get your answer you understand more than the algorithm worked.

I see the difference as solving a rubics cube. I know an algorithm that allows me to solve a rubics cube. I have no idea why that algorithm works.

Last edited by GGG; 07-10-2019 at 03:48 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #1150
curves2000
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hello all,

Sorry about this question but I wasn't sure where I should ask this without bumping an old thread or starting a new one.

I had a question about the carbon tax rebates in Alberta. I got the $300 payment for I believe 2016 and 2017 and than I have received $50 earlier in the year which would be for 2018.

I know the program has been cut with the new government but does that mean that 2018 benefits were reduced? I have a feeling I might be missing some money?

I should technically qualify for the maximum for a single tax payer.

Thanks in advance!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #1151
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

New math helps those that are already good at math get better. Old math was better for the average student.

However, I find it tough to figure out which style is actually better. Perhaps even in elementary school, math needs to be split into two streams like high school math is. New math for the pure math stream, and rote learning for applied math.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #1152
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I thought the whole debate was about new meth.
No debate there. Waaay better than Old Meth.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #1153
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

New math would be great if you were able to dedicate 3x as much time on math. Every teacher I’ve talked to about this says that new math is great, but to do it properly takes an incredible amount of time, and it’s time that they don’t have.

And like Psycrnet says, if you grew up good at math, you were already doing new math in your head without being taught it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #1154
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...itical-support

I will admit, I have a bias towards this. Our youngest who just turned 4 last month has apraxia. It has rendered him essentially unable to speak. Now we are lucky in the sense that he is other wise healthy with no other deficits. However life is going to just get more difficult once he hits the public school system next year. Let alone tell us when he’s sick, if he wants to play with a friend. We have applied and waited over 8 months to be assigned a caseworker, and now cuts to the system when we finally get to meet the worker next week. I ask of you if you have any way of speaking to your elected officials to try to not cut funding to this essential program so not only my little boy but others can get the help they require.
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ooogabooga For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #1155
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogabooga View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...itical-support

I will admit, I have a bias towards this. Our youngest who just turned 4 last month has apraxia. It has rendered him essentially unable to speak. Now we are lucky in the sense that he is other wise healthy with no other deficits. However life is going to just get more difficult once he hits the public school system next year. Let alone tell us when he’s sick, if he wants to play with a friend. We have applied and waited over 8 months to be assigned a caseworker, and now cuts to the system when we finally get to meet the worker next week. I ask of you if you have any way of speaking to your elected officials to try to not cut funding to this essential program so not only my little boy but others can get the help they require.

You don't happen to be a Jennifer or a Tyler, do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #1156
Nufy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No debate there. Waaay better than Old Meth.
You saw Gainers eyes last week too eh ???
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #1157
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
You don't happen to be a Jennifer or a Tyler, do you?
No, we have not gone to the press about our situation.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #1158
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogabooga View Post
No, we have not gone to the press about our situation.

Oh no, my old neighbours have a boy who just turned 4 last month that has apraxia. Just thought it might be you and didn't know you were on here. But if it's not you, then nevermind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #1159
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this part of the UCP's plan for a "world class health care system" they touted the day they cancelled the lab in Edmonton?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #1160
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Oh no, my old neighbours have a boy who just turned 4 last month that has apraxia. Just thought it might be you and didn't know you were on here. But if it's not you, then nevermind!

No but our boy did also just turn 4 last month and has apraxia. Small world.