Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #61
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
La Liga refusal confirmed

A statement to BBC Sport reads: "We can confirm that the lawyers of the player (Neymar) have come to La Liga to deposit the clause and that it has been rejected. It is all the information we will give so far."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/40776521

so, basically La Liga doesn't give a #### about valid player contracts. Lovely.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #62
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine the contract gets voided and PSG get Neymar for free. Petty move obviously, not sure what the end game is.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #63
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no real idea what's going on, so take this for what it's worth, but I had read yesterday that the deal was Qatar was giving Neymar the $300m. He was to pay the release ($198) and "keep the change". He would then play for PSG and be an ambassador for the Qatar WC.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #64
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

in any case, it's pathetic from La Liga. I always thought the compulsory buyout clauses are designed to give the players a certain level of freedom on the job market ... what good is a buyout clause when the league then can just say "lol, no"?

It's not the league's job to make sure that a club from another league is FFP compliant. Also funny that they say "they don't accept money from a state-backed club", yet they had no problem when three other La Liga players moved to PSG this or last summer (Jese from Real, Berchiche from Sociedad and Krychowiak from Sevilla). Also, they don't seem to have a problem with Malaga being owned by a member of the Qatari royal family and Girona soon being a member of Sheikh Mansours City Football Group. Let's face it, this is La Liga being salty and hurt in their pride because one of the top players is leaving their league and they don't know how to deal with that. Ridiculous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #65
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost like different situations are different.

Even as someone who really wants him to go, I can admit this deal is shady as hell.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #66
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Croatian champions Rijeka qualify for CL playoffs.

I am actually really surprised. Perennial champions Dinamo can't even win a single game in the tournament proper, so I thought Rijeka would get creamed in the 2nd qualifying round.

It still astounds me that tiny country has been producing so much talent over the years. They are no slouches at waterpolo or handball either.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #67
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
in any case, it's pathetic from La Liga. I always thought the compulsory buyout clauses are designed to give the players a certain level of freedom on the job market ... what good is a buyout clause when the league then can just say "lol, no"?

It's not the league's job to make sure that a club from another league is FFP compliant. Also funny that they say "they don't accept money from a state-backed club", yet they had no problem when three other La Liga players moved to PSG this or last summer (Jese from Real, Berchiche from Sociedad and Krychowiak from Sevilla). Also, they don't seem to have a problem with Malaga being owned by a member of the Qatari royal family and Girona soon being a member of Sheikh Mansours City Football Group. Let's face it, this is La Liga being salty and hurt in their pride because one of the top players is leaving their league and they don't know how to deal with that. Ridiculous.
Exactly!

He had an insane buyout clause because they figured nobody would ever meet it, and then the Qatari Royal Family basically came in and said:

"Hold my beer"

Or whatever it is they drink in Qatar. Presumably not beer.

I dont get it, PSG's compliance with FFP has nothing to do with Barca or La Liga. There was a buyout clause. It was met. End of story.

The rest is just sour grapes from Barca and La Liga.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #68
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Messi calls Ronaldo and says IT'S TIME.

Barca uses that money on Ronaldo and we watch the next 5 CLs go to Barca in sweeps.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #69
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Exactly!

He had an insane buyout clause because they figured nobody would ever meet it, and then the Qatari Royal Family basically came in and said:

"Hold my beer"

Or whatever it is they drink in Qatar. Presumably not beer.

I dont get it, PSG's compliance with FFP has nothing to do with Barca or La Liga. There was a buyout clause. It was met. End of story.

The rest is just sour grapes from Barca and La Liga.
The thing is, every player there has to have a buyout clause. PSG isn't paying it, if they were, there likely wouldn't be an issue. If you've got nations back channelling cash so a club can buy players, it's potentially a pretty big problem.

I think they should just let it go, but it's understandable why they have issue with this.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #70
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If you've got nations back channelling cash so a club can buy players, it's potentially a pretty big problem.
Why so?
https://www.theguardian.com/football...idies-brussels

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #71
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the money has now been paid directly to Barcelona. Neymar is not a Barcelona player anymore.

Quote:
On Thursday afternoon Neymar Jr's legal representatives visited in person the Club's offices and made the payment of 222 million euros in the player's name with regards to the unilateral termination of the contract that united both parties.

As such, the Club will pass on to UEFA the details of the above operation so that they can determine the disciplinary responsibilities that may arise from this case.
https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...-buyout-clause
Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is, every player there has to have a buyout clause. PSG isn't paying it, if they were, there likely wouldn't be an issue. If you've got nations back channelling cash so a club can buy players, it's potentially a pretty big problem.

I think they should just let it go, but it's understandable why they have issue with this.
Whats the difference if its a nation or a company? The Glazers back-channel cash into the United. FSG back-channels cash into Liverpool. The Qataris back-channel cash into City.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #73
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the money has now been paid directly to Barcelona. Neymar is not a Barcelona player anymore.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...-buyout-clause
Yeah, I heard that too.

If I'm Barca I take the cash and run away laughing. I dont think any player is worth that. Thats more than annual revenue of some teams.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #74
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Glazers back-channel cash into the United.
lol no. The Glazers purchased United through various loans, which meant a lot of debt for the club. They've continuously taken money out of the club, not put money into it. You just can't compare that to PSG at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #75
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whats the difference if its a nation or a company? The Glazers back-channel cash into the United. FSG back-channels cash into Liverpool. The Qataris back-channel cash into City.
The numbers. Both current and potential.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #76
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Croatian champions Rijeka qualify for CL playoffs.

I am actually really surprised. Perennial champions Dinamo can't even win a single game in the tournament proper, so I thought Rijeka would get creamed in the 2nd qualifying round.

It still astounds me that tiny country has been producing so much talent over the years. They are no slouches at waterpolo or handball either.
Quote:
Croatia has a population of 4.27m. As of 2016 a total of nine Croatian players are credited as winning the Champions League: Alen Bokšić, Zvonimir Boban, Davor Šuker, Dario Šimić, Igor Bišćan, Mario Mandžukić, Luka Modrić, Ivan Rakitić and Mateo Kovačić, although Šimić, Bišćan and Kovačić did not appear in the relevant Champions League finals.
http://howtowatchfootball.co.uk/post...oped-democracy

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol no. The Glazers purchased United through various loans, which meant a lot of debt for the club. They've continuously taken money out of the club, not put money into it. You just can't compare that to PSG at all.
Lol yes. It was no different than Liverpool under Gillette and Hicks. Except they didnt have the financial capital to make the funds available when needed.

If they're taking cash out of the club then they likely have to funnel it back in when the club needs it.

You're aware that Transfer 'War Chests' arent literally Pirate Chests full of Gold Dubloons right? Its not money just sitting in a chest?

So if they take from United to do something else then they put it back when United needs it. The only difference is that United earned it as opposed to teams like PSG who just have it available because their owners have it.

Almost every major team does that. Do something with the money while it isnt needed and then make it available when it is.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #78
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's understandable why they have an issue with PSG flaunting FFP but are perfectly content with the way Spanish banks lend money to Barca and Real. Maybe La Liga should concentrate on creating an equitable system for negotiating television rights contracts rather than fixing World football.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #79
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My favorite team (Crvena zvezda - Red Star Belgrade if you will) recently signed Canadian goalkeeper Milan Borjan. He was fantastic tonight, had a couple of amazing saves.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #80
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
It's understandable why they have an issue with PSG flaunting FFP but are perfectly content with the way Spanish banks lend money to Barca and Real. Maybe La Liga should concentrate on creating an equitable system for negotiating television rights contracts rather than fixing World football.
A: how is borrowing from a bank the same as a country handing over a lump sum to a player to pay his buyout clause so it doesn't hit the club?

B: they just changed their TV contract rights last season.