Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #141
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it boggles my mind that someone thinks they can pay the boxers to this event millions, plus handle all of the associated expenses and somehow make a profit.

had to laugh a bit as TSN was showing Floyd working the bag last night and it looked like he was surrounded by his squad. what a life it must be to be part of his squad and just stand in a semi-circle around Floyd watching him do stuff.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #142
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it boggles my mind that someone thinks they can pay the boxers to this event millions, plus handle all of the associated expenses and somehow make a profit.
Between PPV buys, ticket sales, ad sales, etc, people were guessing this fight could generate up to $700 million worldwide. Primarily through predictions of a record in PPV buys - at up to $100 each. Though if the Senator's post about there being thousands of unsold tickets being marked down heavily is true...
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #143
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Between PPV buys, ticket sales, ad sales, etc, people were guessing this fight could generate up to $700 million worldwide. Primarily through predictions of a record in PPV buys - at up to $100 each. Though if the Senator's post about there being thousands of unsold tickets being marked down heavily is true...
There is no way this will even come close to the Pacquiao/Mayweather numbers. I'm watching but no way am I paying for this Wrestlemania match.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #144
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems like an incredible number of buys - 5,000,000 plus to watch what seems like a complete sideshow.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #145
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
seems like an incredible number of buys - 5,000,000 plus to watch what seems like a complete sideshow.
No way this fight gets 5M buys. I think they'd be lucky to get 4M
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #146
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the radio yesterday they had a guy on at one point (unfortunately I'm not sure who) and they were in Vegas and said that this feels nothing like Pacquiao/Mayweather in terms of hype and excitement. I think that most people in their heads know that McGregor winning would either be a fix or just plain incredibly lucky.

I know that one way or another I will watch the fight though. I can't help it and I was thinking to myself how hilarious I thought it was when Money May walked into the ring with the Burger King last time around. I don't want to drop the $100 and hopefully it doesn't come to that!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #147
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
That's the point though. They generated huge interest because it is a sideshow. But the real numbers will certainly be interesting.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #148
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
On the radio yesterday they had a guy on at one point (unfortunately I'm not sure who) and they were in Vegas and said that this feels nothing like Pacquiao/Mayweather in terms of hype and excitement. I think that most people in their heads know that McGregor winning would either be a fix or just plain incredibly lucky.

I know that one way or another I will watch the fight though. I can't help it and I was thinking to myself how hilarious I thought it was when Money May walked into the ring with the Burger King last time around. I don't want to drop the $100 and hopefully it doesn't come to that!
Pacquiao had Jimmy Kimmel. haha Mayweather also had Bieber but alas the fairy tale romance is no more.

and there is no way the fix is in with the bookies. they will have unprecedented losses if Macgregor wins.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #149
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Actually, it looks like boxing fans are starting to pull a Rick's Natural Star. Mayweather's odds are falling as people choose to throw their money away betting on McGregor.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #150
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I guess there's no way. But really he doesn't even have a punchers chance. One guy on the radio said he didn't even get specific trainers for this fight. I fully admit that it's likely to be terrible, and yet I will watch. I know I'm a sucker but like I say it's just too amusing for me to stay away completely.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #151
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think we know how this fight is going to go.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #152
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just put $10 on McGregor having a longer walkout than Mayweather, think thats about the only thing worth betting on for this fight
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #153
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

yeah the odds are incredibly high.. $500 to make $100 betting on Mayweather seems like guaranteed money.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #154
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
yeah the odds are incredibly high.. $500 to make $100 betting on Mayweather seems like guaranteed money.
CBS Sports said that Mayweather opened at -2250. For him to now fall to -450 shows a lot of people betting with their hearts instead of their brains.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #155
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Come fight night, McGregor is going to outweight Mayweather by 20 lbs. Given his size, age, punching power, and calm nerves, Im going with McGregor.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #156
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering the skill gap is arguably the widest in sports history, does punching power really matter if Conor can't connect on a single meaningful shot? And as I mentioned before, even if he does there's no ground and pound. So if Floyd gets up, he'll still win 11 rounds comfortably and walk to a decision. I find it utterly bizarre people are so desperate to talk themselves into thinking Conor should be considered a real threat.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #157
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Considering the skill gap is arguably the widest in sports history, does punching power really matter if Conor can't connect on a single meaningful shot? And as I mentioned before, even if he does there's no ground and pound. So if Floyd gets up, he'll still win 11 rounds comfortably and walk to a decision. I find it utterly bizarre people are so desperate to talk themselves into thinking Conor should be considered a real threat.
You seem pretty convinced in your position. Pretty bizarre people believe that their opinion on future outcomes is fact. Even the most educated predictions have the same certainty as ignorant ones. Anyone that says they know 100% the outcome of a fight believes thier own bull$%#&
Old 08-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #158
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There have been boxers with more standup punching power that haven't been able to lay power on Mayweather.

He makes fights boring, he frustrates his opponents.

I just don't see how McGregor's age and power will make a difference.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #159
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Since he is going to lose, I hope he tries for a super man punch in the 1st round. Just to get the crowd going
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #160
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
You seem pretty convinced in your position. Pretty bizarre people believe that their opinion on future outcomes is fact. Even the most educated predictions have the same certainty as ignorant ones. Anyone that says they know 100% the outcome of a fight believes thier own bull$%#&
Right, but Conor has literally zero professional fights and zero meaningful amateur fights. This is almost like Man v Beast back in the day on FOX when a human raced a zebra and a giraffe. Yeah I mean I guess the human could pull the miracle, but would you really pay good money for it? As far as "knowing the outcome", if you were forced to put every cent you owned on someone winning this fight, Conor might literally have zero people betting on him.

The vast. vast, vast majority of people think this will suck ####. And repeating myself again, but if "punchers chance" is your argument, and you didn't buy every other Floyd fight, you're saying a guy who, again, has fought zero meaningful boxing matches, has a better chance than any of Floyd's opponents ever has. How is that anything other than delusion of the highest order?

If you're looking for a true doppelganger to this fight, this is probably the best one. A lot of people thought Gatti had a real chance too. An utter destruction later, and yeah. Conor will be lucky to lose this badly. I get people really hate Floyd (not Conor interestingly enough, he loves using the Floyd tite to get paid), but he's still at worst one of the 20-25 best boxers of all-time.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-26-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post: