Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #101
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
10/11 that he won't finish his term and 7/2 that it will happen this year

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.inve...peachment-odds
I'd easily take that 7-2 wager.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #102
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Where did you see this?
There was a little ad banner on their website advertising it.

I don't see it now (but that could be because I'm now logged in as a subscriber) but there was no indication it was a time-limited offer. Hopefully it's still available because it's a heckuva deal.

I think the alternative to $20 for the year was 8 weeks free followed by $4 a month or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #103
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is a huge week for the whole Trump/Russia investigation. As big as last week was, this week is probably even more important: the Senate Intelligence Committee has their first public hearing, which will give us a clear idea of whether Chairman Richard Burr is going to take the same approach as Nunes, or whether he's going to act more independently. There certainly was indication early on that he was planning to focus more on the Russian interference and Trump/Russia collusion than Nunes was, though intervening in the media on behalf of Trump has raised some questions about his impartiality more recently. It also sets up some interesting potential conflicts as the Republican side of that committee includes some noted Trump allies (Tom Cotton) and critics (Susan Collins, plus McCain in a non-voting role).
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #104
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump staffers are being ordered to purge their devices of information ahead of the expected subpeonas for the Trump Russia investigation

Quote:
White House officials and members of Donald Trump’s transition team are reportedly “purging” their electronic devices to avoid being compromised by subpoenas, it has been claimed.

The accusation comes just weeks after government lawyers ordered the President’s aides to preserve any materials that could be connected to Russian interference in the 2016 election.

One legal expert told MSNBC - the channel that first reported the allegations based on testimony from an inside source - there could be “legal ramifications” for staff who destroyed crucial evidence relating to ongoing investigations.

The Trump administration is currently under FBI investigation for possible collusion between Russian operatives and presidential aides.

The House Intelligence Committee is also investigating alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia based on a series of allegations that pre-date the election, including Mr Trump publicly urging Russia to hack Democratic rival Hillary Clinton's emails.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7651276.html

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-26-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #105
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Also re Russia: this Tweet thread from Seth Abramson about the circumstances around candidate Trump's first foreign policy speech at the Mayflower Hotel is pretty interesting. Some of it is conjecture but overall it's pretty well sourced and reasoned.

https://storify.com/loriaustex/seth-abramson
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #106
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Trump staffers are being ordered to purge their devices of information ahead of the expected subpeonas for the Trump Russia investigation

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7651276.html
This is the kind of journalism that needs to stop. It helps Trump because it adds to the fog of war.

It's headline is different from it's sensational headline. There's no corroboration of that claim except a quote from a Friday daytime show on msnbc that has the host quote carefully a single source.

We need more than this. This kind of throw-spaghetti-at-the-wall journals is killing the anti Trump movement
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #107
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe this is the very definition of "Fake News"

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/846112245797007360
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #108
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
Also re Russia: this Tweet thread from Seth Abramson about the circumstances around candidate Trump's first foreign policy speech at the Mayflower Hotel is pretty interesting. Some of it is conjecture but overall it's pretty well sourced and reasoned.

https://storify.com/loriaustex/seth-abramson
Thanks...that is more than a little interesting

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #109
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN reporting that Nunes was at the Whitehouse the day/evening before his official 'meeting' there to reveal that incidental intelligence was collected on Trump.

This is completely normal everything is fine.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #110
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
CNN reporting that Nunes was at the Whitehouse the day/evening before his official 'meeting' there to reveal that incidental intelligence was collected on Trump.

This is completely normal everything is fine.
And Boris Epshteyn is supposedly stepping down. The timing is interesting.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #111
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some colleagues and I bought MAGA hats on the day of the election as a joke since we thought he'd lose.

Got an email today saying they are refunding my purchase because as foreign nationals it violates US election finance laws to accept donations from foreigners.

The Donald bought us MAGA hats.

LOL
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #112
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Considering his long time work with the mafia, would make sense he wants to run a protection racket.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ge...ence-dl7dk629k
Another poorly sourced article. Germany and Merkel (who's word is actually good) deny this ever happened.

More to add to Trump's claim of "Fake News" and undermining the media's credibility
Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #113
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Another poorly sourced article. Germany and Merkel (who's word is actually good) deny this ever happened.

More to add to Trump's claim of "Fake News" and undermining the media's credibility
Doubt officially Merkel would confirm this but there is certainly enough smoke around the story.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7651521.html
Quote:
The bill – which was reportedly given to the Chancellor during private talks last weekend – was described as “outrageous” by one unnamed German minister.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #114
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Doubt officially Merkel would confirm this but there is certainly enough smoke around the story.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7651521.html
The point is deniability though. It's not just the WH denying the story, it's the Germans themselves. There's enough real fodder for stories (Russian intervention, collusion, Nunes behavior, etc) that piddley crap like this obfuscates and deligitimizes a real push to oust a danger to the free world
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #115
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The point is deniability though. It's not just the WH denying the story, it's the Germans themselves. There's enough real fodder for stories (Russian intervention, collusion, Nunes behavior, etc) that piddley crap like this obfuscates and deligitimizes a real push to oust a danger to the free world
You surely realize the only thing that can oust him is when he's a political inconvenience to the GOP right? The Russia stuff is meaningless. The conflicts of interest are meaningless. There are no "real" things that will get rid of him other than him being a drag on the GOP numbers. And that, of course, the only way to do that is to drive his popularity into the ground. #### like that works a lot better than his conflicts of interest or Russia (which will never work, he's surely insulated himself with enough plausible deniability), whether we like it or not. The game is the game pretty much.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #116
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You surely realize the only thing that can oust him is when he's a political inconvenience to the GOP right? The Russia stuff is meaningless. The conflicts of interest are meaningless. There are no "real" things that will get rid of him other than him being a drag on the GOP numbers. And that, of course, the only way to do that is to drive his popularity into the ground. #### like that works a lot better than his conflicts of interest or Russia (which will never work, he's surely insulated himself with enough plausible deniability), whether we like it or not. The game is the game pretty much.
You're looking waaaaay too small picture here. The only thing keeping order and preventing autocracy is trust in the institutions themselves. Destroying trust in the media castrates it's effectiveness to hold these other institutions accountable. By turning the media into what Trump says it is you help him hold onto that power. It doesn't help, and creates lasting, long term damage.

Here's a good summary of my thoughts from yesterday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/25/o...-own.html?_r=0

Quote:
The bad news is that Mr. Trump is succeeding. Fraudulent news stories, which used to be largely a right-wing phenomenon, are becoming increasingly popular among those who oppose the president. (I prefer not to add to the appeal of such stories by citing them, but an example is the string of widely shared items that purported to link every death of a more-or-less prominent Russian man to Russian interference in the election.) Each story dangles the promise of a secret that can explain the unimaginable. Each story comes with the ready justification that desperate times call for outrageous claims. But each story deals yet another blow to our fact-based reality, destroying the very fabric of politics that Mr. Trump so clearly disdains.
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #117
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe this is the very definition of "Fake News"

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/846112245797007360
Is this like when I put off all my work until the last day and then pull an all nighter to get it done, and people congratulate me on working so hard and thank me for all the sleep I lost?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #118
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Is this like when I put off all my work until the last day and then pull an all nighter to get it done, and people congratulate me on working so hard and thank me for all the sleep I lost?
Nah, just his buddies at Fox News lying for him. He was photographed watching golf at his resort in West Virginia over the weekend.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #119
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're looking waaaaay too small picture here. The only thing keeping order and preventing autocracy is trust in the institutions themselves. Destroying trust in the media castrates it's effectiveness to hold these other institutions accountable. By turning the media into what Trump says it is you help him hold onto that power. It doesn't help, and creates lasting, long term damage.

Here's a good summary of my thoughts from yesterday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/25/o...-own.html?_r=0
Trump polls ahead of the media when it comes to trust and consistently has for a while now. What the #### can the media do to counter that? In the hyper partisan world of America no less? It's like Congress with the approvals in the teens, and the 90% incumbent winning rate. It's "the other guys" media we don't trust, our media never lies. Media's goal is profit first, and the growth of hyper-partisanism has been a godsend for the media. Perhaps the real goal should be banning for profit news, but people have shown they'd rather watch FOX and CNN than PBS. There's more or less nothing that can be done other than to play the game the way the current set up is. Acting like the system can be changed is a losing approach. You gotta use the system as best you can, but you can't change it.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #120
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02a2eaab66684

I know this is immature of me, but this article and the comments accompanying gave me a huge laugh this afternoon. Hee Hee
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms