Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #1521
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Shapolalov-Mannarino at 4:30 mountain tomorrow
For me, this match is the one that will tell the story of whether he's arrived as a big time player or not. Many great players have faltered playing a notably weaker player after beating a significant, top-ranked player.

Hopefully Dennis has been able to manage his emotions and continue to prepare as he has been after such a big night. With the team he has in place, I'm pretty sure they would have been on top of it, but easier said than done.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #1522
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Penny was at the match last night in Shapovalov's box. There was some guy who scored 894 NHL goals there as well.
Maybe it was just me, but listening to the commentators trying to describe the Penny/Denis relationship was funny.

"Well, they exchanged phone numbers and have been texting one another ever since."

"Two Canadian teenagers, hanging out with one another."

It made it sounds like, she's my girl and she's my friend, but she's not my girlfriend
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #1523
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, same. They were basically describing that awkward mating ritual teens do at high school dances where they want to get together but don't quite know how to take that first real step.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #1524
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's interesting. Penny was there all day, think she arrived before the Federer match.
Then was seated in the Shapovalov player box.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #1525
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if a guy like Rafa gets embarrassed by this and is going to come out looking for blood next time, or if it's just another day at the office and he moves on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #1526
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a fantastic match that was. I really like Shapolalov's game as he looks like less of a one trick pony compared to Raonic. Time will tell if he can take his game to the next level like Milos but one thing he has going for him is that he has a proper one handed backhand. I've always been a proponent of the one handed backhand and feel players that can master it have better overall games. It's harder to pick up and master but I wish more academies would push it on players that have the strength to hit through the ball with one hand.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #1527
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't watched that much Shapovalov, but based on that, there's a lot of raw potential there. He's clearly not refined, even on his better shots. He's athletic, but he's 18, so he'd better be. Obviously, if he could consistently hit volleys at this level, that would make a big difference - I think he had a couple more breaks available to him if he'd managed to make good returns on those shorter balls.

It's the old story about the two players, one with perfect form and one with bad form, running to first in the same amount of time. He's unpolished, but even in an unpolished state, he can hang with elite players. If he becomes polished, he has a chance to do some special things in a couple of years.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #1528
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I wonder if a guy like Rafa gets embarrassed by this and is going to come out looking for blood next time, or if it's just another day at the office and he moves on.
He was pissed. In his press conference last night he basically said this was the worst loss of the year. He lost to a chump when the draw is wide open for him to regain #1. It really hurts.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #1529
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What hurts for Rafa is that if Fed wins Montreal he's only 10 points behind Rafa in the rankings. So at that point it might be pretty difficult to overtake Roger unless Rafa plays 3-4 more events than Roger does. The loss really hurt his chances of getting year end number one.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #1530
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What a fantastic match that was. I really like Shapolalov's game as he looks like less of a one trick pony compared to Raonic. Time will tell if he can take his game to the next level like Milos but one thing he has going for him is that he has a proper one handed backhand. I've always been a proponent of the one handed backhand and feel players that can master it have better overall games. It's harder to pick up and master but I wish more academies would push it on players that have the strength to hit through the ball with one hand.
Academies are paid to produce high level players. This in itself is why most players are taught to use the two handed backhand as it's much easier to polish but lacks the finesse and reward that a well tuned one-hander can achieve.

A classic example is a guy like Pospisil. With his style of game and body type, he should certainly be using a one-handed backhand in my eyes. He was likely pushed through the ranks on his talent alone and no one wanted to slow him down and get him using a stroke that might be the difference between his 75 ranking and a 25 ranking today.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #1531
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Rafa is out for blood each and every time he steps on the court like nobody else on tour. This is just another loss that he will accept and move on from.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #1532
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Photos Histoires@PhotosHistos
Coupe Rogers 2008. Le gamin avec la casquette rouge (Denis Shapovalov) a battu Nadal hier, 9 ans après cette photo

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #1533
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Thumbs up to Sharon Fichman. She's provided excellent analysis on the Sportsnet panel. I hope they bring her back for Davis Cup.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #1534
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fed through to semis.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #1535
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fed is into the semi-finals after dispatching RBA in straight sets 6-4 6-4
Old 08-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #1536
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me or is the Sportsnet audio lagging behind the video? I see racquet making contact with the ball followed by like a half-second delay. Kind of annoying.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #1537
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dammit.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #1538
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this is not a good start thus far. Denis is certainly pressing trying to win points quickly.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #1539
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya, he's not looking as sharp as last night. Hopefully he can snap out of it.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #1540
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Not unexpected though. Quick turnaround, let down from an epic win and the fact that he's still just an 18-year-old kid.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote