Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #241
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Thanked for the use of Bogan.
If it's that easy to get a thanks out of you, I'll have to use it more often.
Quote:
Long live the death of 7's?
Only in NZ apparently you dirty bogan.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #242
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada's ARC game is on TV:

Quote:
2017 Americas Rugby Championship
Canada vs. Argentina
Sat 11PM ET / 8PM PT on TSN1

Pretty excited, there are 3 Calgary based players (2 Hornets and 1 Ram) in the starting 15, also Panga has a Hornets connection.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #243
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada's ARC game is on TV:

Pretty excited, there are 3 Calgary based players (2 Hornets and 1 Ram) in the starting 15, also Panga has a Hornets connection.
I know you are talking about the Americas Rugby Championship but when you say ARC I immediately think the Acadia Recreation Centre haha.

Just to clarify though they are playing Argentina XV, the B team. It's still great challenge for Canada but with an actual chance at winning.

Also Canada plays Argentina at the Sydney Sevens today
Old 02-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #244
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I know you are talking about the Americas Rugby Championship but when you say ARC I immediately think the Acadia Recreation Centre haha.

Just to clarify though they are playing Argentina XV, the B team. It's still great challenge for Canada but with an actual chance at winning.

Also Canada plays Argentina at the Sydney Sevens today

Canada have a great schedule this ARC. If they don't put up some wins, then difficult questions need to be asked.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #245
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada have a great schedule this ARC. If they don't put up some wins, then difficult questions need to be asked.
If it's anything like what we've seen from them over the past couple years, you might as well begin preparing that list of questions. This is a team that looked bad leading up to RWC 2015 in dropping games late in the second half to the US, Samoa, etc. They played Italy tough at RWC 2015, and were close. Got trashed against France (unsurprisingly though) and then gave up a 15-0 lead to lose 17-15 to Romania. Then they kept that momentum rolling into 2016 when the dropped games to the USA amongst others (but did beat Russia here in Calgary).

I'll be watching...but I'm not holding my breath.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #246
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge upset for the Canadian women over the Olympic champion Australians at the Sydney Sevens! Well done ladies!!! Everyone was expecting an Australia vs New Zealand final but instead it will be Canada vs USA starting in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The Canadian men have played two matches so far beating Russia losing to the USA. They play Argentina later today for a chance to play for the cup.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #247
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada wins! Suck it USA! That was awesome they included the finals of the women's tournament as part of the men's. It was a great advertisement for the sport.

The Canadian men just suffered a heartbreaking draw against Argentina. They needed a win to advance to the cup playoffs because of point differential. Two late missed conversions were the difference.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 AM   #248
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

South Africa wins the Sydney Sevens with England 2nd, New Zealand 3rd and Australia 4th. Canada finished 13th after losing to Japan, beating PNG, and then getting lucky with a controversial win over Kenya. It looks like last week's 4th place finish was a bit of a fluke and not a sign of improvement, although to be fair to the Canadians the loss of Nathan Hirayama to injury is starting to catch up to them. Hirayama is one of the best Sevens players in the world and always plays well in Australia. I saw an interesting fact today that he is the all time leading try scorer at the Aussie Sevens.

Sevens will take a break until Vegas and Vancouver in March. There is however a Tens event in Brisbane next week. I will try to watch a bit of it and provide feedback on this new form of rugby.

Also, looking forward to hearing UCBs thoughts on Canada's loss to Argentina at the ARC.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #249
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were also two pretty solid games to open the 6 Nations yesterday. England/France wasn't that good, and England managed to pull it out at the end. The Scotland/Ireland game was excellent though. Scotland came out and took control, while Ireland powered back in the second half. Ireland had their chances and were very close to taking the game over but in the end the Scots held the fort and added an insurance penalty in the dying minutes.

The Scots played really well. I would've expected Ireland to win this one, but the Scottish defence in particular was just solid. They made probably double the number of tackles that the Irish did and there were times where the Irish had 15-20 phases and made very little ground. Just an impressive display, and their full back (Hogg) played a great game as well.

Today is Wales/Italy, which could turn out to be a pretty good game as well. I would be taking Wales by a comfortable margin, but who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #250
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There were also two pretty solid games to open the 6 Nations yesterday. England/France wasn't that good, and England managed to pull it out at the end. The Scotland/Ireland game was excellent though. Scotland came out and took control, while Ireland powered back in the second half. Ireland had their chances and were very close to taking the game over but in the end the Scots held the fort and added an insurance penalty in the dying minutes.

The Scots played really well. I would've expected Ireland to win this one, but the Scottish defence in particular was just solid. They made probably double the number of tackles that the Irish did and there were times where the Irish had 15-20 phases and made very little ground. Just an impressive display, and their full back (Hogg) played a great game as well.

Today is Wales/Italy, which could turn out to be a pretty good game as well. I would be taking Wales by a comfortable margin, but who knows.
There goes our prediction Ireland will win the 6 Nations! Scotland is the most improved team in world rugby in the past couple years however.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #251
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also, looking forward to hearing UCBs thoughts on Canada's loss to Argentina at the ARC.
blech, that is the product that Canada puts out to the country.

While we have a young squad a great number of the Argies were U20 I believe or just graduated from the program.

Conditions were garbage, but they were garbage for both teams.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #252
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
blech, that is the product that Canada puts out to the country.

While we have a young squad a great number of the Argies were U20 I believe or just graduated from the program.

Conditions were garbage, but they were garbage for both teams.
Wow, tell us how you really feel...

I thought you might be somewhat positive considering Argentina is undefeated all time at the ARC and the last time Canada played them it was a 33 point loss.

Agree though if Canada is going to lose they should do it with a bit of excitement. What do you think is the problem? Coaching, a lack of skilled backs, or a lack of good forwards to set up the backs?

I think it is time you embraced the dark side of rugby and became a Sevens fan. You will get to see Canada score lots of tries and watch exciting comeback draws against Argentina.

Spoiler!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #253
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, tell us how you really feel...

I thought you might be somewhat positive considering Argentina is undefeated all time at the ARC and the last time Canada played them it was a 33 point loss.

Agree though if Canada is going to lose they should do it with a bit of excitement. What do you think is the problem? Coaching, a lack of skilled backs, or a lack of good forwards to set up the backs?

I think it is time you embraced the dark side of rugby and became a Sevens fan. You will get to see Canada score lots of tries and watch exciting comeback draws against Argentina.

Spoiler!
1: Serving two masters
Rugby Canada is trying to serve both 7’s and 15’s. There just isn’t the player base to go support two different sports. Crowley identified this on this way out the door in Jan 2016:
http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/...t-rugby-canada
Quote:
The poor run of results from the last two years was something he couldn’t hide from. This is a results-based business, he admitted. While the strides his players made in the skill department was pleasing, the fact his team couldn’t find wins burned him.
It was down to one big thing, he said: a lack of full-timers. The only place in Canada for his best players to earn some kind of living was sevens. Asking those players to jump back and forth between two very different styles of rugby just wasn’t sustainable in the long run. Just as specialized sevens players are being developed, Canada needs specialized fifteens players if the men’s team is to return to the heights so many Canadian rugby people hold in their collective aspirations.
Most telling is the play of the two sports. 7’s really is turning into a track meet with a rugby ball. The game is very much about finding 1 or 2 players with jets and have 5 other players that can win the ball and get the ball to them. Both Baker and Iles are rocket fast, but neither has garnered much attention from the 15’s community.
Take a look at John Moonlight. He came onto the scene as an openside that was big and fast. Physically he is near identical to the inventor of modern openside play (Michael Jones). Moonlight started to play more 7’s and when he went back to 15’s he honestly looked lost, his lines of running both in defence and support weren’t where they should be.
The days of 7’s being a proving ground for future 15’s players is over, dead and gone.
It appears that RC is moving forward with separation of 15’s and 7’s but it will take a lot to get out from under the mess they have made.

2: Unified season and Pro League.
This, to my mind, is key. Rugby needs a unified across the country. I 100% believe this is necessary to increase the profile of the sport, but 100% do not believe it will ever happen. The powers in BC Rugby has no interest. The sport can’t move forward and create interest until it can show case high level play across the country at the same time. The current set up draws complaints from BC about how their players are in their off season. If we went to a unified season all Canada would play through the summer on hard fast pitches with encourages attacking rugby. BC winter rugby conditions can be garbage.
Once you have a unified season you can look at a semi-pro (to start) league. Say:
>Crimson Tide
>Vancouver
>Maybe Fraser Valley
>Gold
>Mavericks
>Manitoba/Sask combined
>Blues
>Quebec
>Kelts (bring them back)
>Rock

You can then attract/sell the product across the country. To my mind it is easier to get a sponsor when the game is coast to coast.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #254
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great game between England and Wales. Wales put up a great fight but were just unable to match England in this one.

In the other game today (which I didn't see) Ireland took out some frustration on Italy 63-10. Tomorrow is France and Scotland which should be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #255
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I caught a bit of the Brisbane Global Tens tournament and it seemed a bit meh. The crowd looked very small, partially due to it being a Super Rugby exhibition missing top players and partially due to the ridiculous heat wave reaching 40+ in Brisbane. If they are going to have these all day rugby events in Australia they need to move them out of the summer (I have the same criticism of the Sydney Sevens). That said the Super Rugby organizers deemed it a success and it will probably be back next year, although the rumour is a move to Auckland.

On to the actual Tens Rugby: It came as advertised as more structured than Sevens with proper line outs, scrums, more then two man rucks, and far more kicking for attack and field position while offering greater open play and try scoring than Fifteens. That said I don't see this format taking off. It still isn't "real" rugby and lacked the speed, flair, and try at anytime nature of Sevens. Of course as I've said before any rugby is good rugby.

Oh and if anyone cares the New Zealand teams of course dominated with the Chiefs beating the Crusaders in the final.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #256
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I caught a bit of the Brisbane Global Tens tournament and it seemed a bit meh. The crowd looked very small, partially due to it being a Super Rugby exhibition missing top players and partially due to the ridiculous heat wave reaching 40+ in Brisbane. If they are going to have these all day rugby events in Australia they need to move them out of the summer (I have the same criticism of the Sydney Sevens). That said the Super Rugby organizers deemed it a success and it will probably be back next year, although the rumour is a move to Auckland.

On to the actual Tens Rugby: It came as advertised as more structured than Sevens with proper line outs, scrums, more then two man rucks, and far more kicking for attack and field position while offering greater open play and try scoring than Fifteens. That said I don't see this format taking off. It still isn't "real" rugby and lacked the speed, flair, and try at anytime nature of Sevens. Of course as I've said before any rugby is good rugby.

Oh and if anyone cares the New Zealand teams of course dominated with the Chiefs beating the Crusaders in the final.
Thanks for the summary. I didn't catch any of the action, but have seen a lot of social media posts about it. Most of those were from sports media that I follow and not actual people so don't think too many outside of really hardcores watched it. Interesting that they might move it to Auckland given that Auckland already hosts the nines tournament which does pretty well there. Would Super Rugby really want to go head to head with NRL, and can the city of Auckland support two weekend long preseason tournaments on consecutive weekends? I would say no, and I'd give the edge to the more established nines.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #257
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Thanks for the summary. I didn't catch any of the action, but have seen a lot of social media posts about it. Most of those were from sports media that I follow and not actual people so don't think too many outside of really hardcores watched it. Interesting that they might move it to Auckland given that Auckland already hosts the nines tournament which does pretty well there. Would Super Rugby really want to go head to head with NRL, and can the city of Auckland support two weekend long preseason tournaments on consecutive weekends? I would say no, and I'd give the edge to the more established nines.
The rumour is there will be a trade. Brisbane, a League city, gets the Nines while Auckland, a Union city, gets the Tens.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #258
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=98838

from the article:

Quote:
Saturday’s game can be seen LIVE on TSN GO at 8pm ET/5pm PT. The match will also be replayed on TSN 2 on Feb. 19 at 1pm ET/10am PT.
Team for the game this weekend against the US.

Quote:
1. Rob Brouwer – (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON

2. Ray Barkwill – Captain (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

3. Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

4. Conor Keys – (UVic Vikes/Atlantic Rock) Stittsville, ON

5. Reegan O’Gorman – (Marist Albion) Vancouver, BC

6. Lucas Rumball – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Scarborough, ON

7. Ollie Nott – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Qualicum, BC

8. Admir Cejvanovic – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Burnaby, BC

9. Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

10. Robbie Povey – (Bedford Athletic/Prairie Wolf Pack) Northampton, England

11. Taylor Paris – (Agen) Barrie, ON

12. Guiseppe Du Toit – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Maple Ridge, BC

13. Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

14. Dan Moor – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

15. Brock Staller – (UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

16. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Rugby Club/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC

17. Djustice Sears -Duru – (Glasgow Warriors/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

18. Cole Keith – (James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock) Sussex, NB

19. Liam Chisholm – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Kenora, ON

20. Lucas Albornoz – (Burnaby Lake RC/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC

21. Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

22. Gradyn Bowd – (UVIC Vikes/Prairie Wolf Pack) Red Deer, AB

23. George Barton – (Clermont Espoirs) Duncan, BC
Happy to See Bowd still in the set up. Appears his shoulder is all healed up.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #259
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super Rugby is back! The season opened in Melbourne with the Blues smashing the Rebels 56-18.

The Blues finished last in the NZ conference last year but were very impressive tonight and will have Sonny Bill Williams joining the team once he recovers from his Olympics injury. It looks like another season of the NZ teams dominating.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-23-2017 at 04:03 AM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #260
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did you guys see this in the Six Nations?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i....post.89831868

Italy decided they weren't going to form rucks when defending in order to move into positions that would otherwise be offside, and it confused the hell out of England. Interesting and technically legal tactic, though they still lost the game 36-15.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote