Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #1041
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I was aware of the D and E gates being switchable, but didn't realize that they are also doing some as C.

I can't even begin to imagine how this works, logistically. E passengers require US customs pre-clearance, but D obviously don't. Can the airport physically isolate those gates to keep the E passengers separate from D? How does that even happen on the fly as needed?
Only gates 70-73 can be swung as C gates, the four closest gates to C that are on the west side of the D pier.

The rest can only swing int'l to transborder.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #1042
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... I'm sure people can understand this map, but the orientation of the terminal map bugs me... that's not how it looks.

STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #1043
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
So... I'm sure people can understand this map, but the orientation of the terminal map bugs me... that's not how it looks.

What the heck? Is that real? That isn't right at all. Needs to be flipped vertically or horizontally.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #1044
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
What the heck? Is that real? That isn't right at all. Needs to be flipped vertically or horizontally.
It is real... this was the screen by the Mac's in front of the meeting point A... I did not alter the picture one bit. I was really confused by it.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 AM   #1045
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That map also doesn't show the YYC Link which it should
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #1046
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Old 11-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #1047
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is real... this was the screen by the Mac's in front of the meeting point A... I did not alter the picture one bit. I was really confused by it.
You should tweet that to @flyYYC. They are actually pretty active on Twitter. That's pretty shoddy work.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #1048
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So i'm flying to Seattle on Friday. Does anyone know if there is going to be anywhere open to eat at the new international terminal post-security? Looking at their website, it sure doesn't look like it. Only Starbucks.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #1049
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
So i'm flying to Seattle on Friday. Does anyone know if there is going to be anywhere open to eat at the new international terminal post-security? Looking at their website, it sure doesn't look like it. Only Starbucks.
There's a food court with a Burger King, Spolumbo's, Opa, Thai Express, and a Sushi place. There's also a couple of sit down restaurants, a Wine Bar, a Belgian Beer Cafe, and a Wolfgang Puck restaurant. Outside of the food court is a Jugo Juice and a Frozen Yogurt place, plus the Starbucks.

I assume they're all open with the new terminal.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #1050
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Nope, there's one pre-security, starbucks got the post security stores
Ugh.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #1051
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
You should tweet that to @flyYYC. They are actually pretty active on Twitter. That's pretty shoddy work.
They've got bigger issues at the moment, like a) the sewage back up in their brand new gem causing the entire hall to smell like poop and b) the lack of chairs at gates (because they want you in the hall spending money). The pics of moms on the floor with babies is not good PR.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #1052
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call to gate? great....
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #1053
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm sitting in the new terminal waiting for a flight to LAX as I type this.
I've taken lots of video and pictures in here, might share them.

Here is my review:
YYC Link was no where to be found, not even on the maps. We arrived extra early today hoping to go for a "ride" between terminals.

Arriving we parked in the park and jet lot and they shuttled us right to the entrance. Tons of self serve stations everywhere and 0 lines. We printed our bag tags and then you take your bags and drop them off on the auto readers and watch your suitcase disappear.
Next it's through security. The automated bins that move on their own are neat but there is tons of opportunity for someone to steal - as your bin makes it to the other side way before you do, and all your belongings are sitting in the open.

20 feet away from security is the US Customs area. This area looked WAY better in the OLD terminal. Here you have no "cool" pictures of USA destinations and very low ceilings. We couldn't get our passports to scan in the auto computers.,, so had to hand fill out the old customs card and wait in line. The line was very small since the time of day.

Next you either take an elevator or a double escalator up and right into the duty free store. You have to walk through the store and make a sharp left turn to get out. I can totally see people rushing through here when they are late and knocking stuff over such as all the liquor bottles.
When you exit the duty free you enter the nice tall ceilings and shiny tile floors. The food court is on your left with all the places previously mentioned. Here is the one and only sink with a tap like in someone's kitchen. The cleaners are washing trays here. But this is your only place if you want to fill a water bottle. Past that is Starbucks. If you keep walking straight you will see that the terminal changes and the tall ceilings and shiny tile flooring is replaced with ugly rubber flooring and low ceilings. This is about 30% of the new terminal.

The central seating area is right beside the food court and has tables, chairs, some couches and plugins.
There are some seats scattered throughout the entire terminal so it's not that bad.
Gates 70 through 75 are all in one spot and I can only imagine what this looks like when they are all in use. There will be people standing shoulder to shoulder.
There is an Aspire lounge right beside the food court if you want you can pay $35 and get in - unlimited food, drinks, showers, and sleeping pods.
All bathrooms have no paper towels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #1054
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
the US Customs area. This area looked WAY better in the OLD terminal. Here you have no "cool" pictures of USA destinations and very low ceilings.
This is so underrated. The old area was gorgeous and got you so pumped up for your trip. I'm going to seriously miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Gates 70 through 75 are all in one spot and I can only imagine what this looks like when they are all in use. There will be people standing shoulder to shoulder.
And of course, Gates 70-73 will be the most heavily utilized gates of the whole terminal and possibly the entire airport. Their multi-use ability is extremely valuable to WestJet's operation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #1055
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't wait to check out the new area on Saturday - if I can figure out where I'm supposed to go through security!! I guess a white hatter should be able to show me.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #1056
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Can't wait to check out the new area on Saturday - if I can figure out where I'm supposed to go through security!! I guess a white hatter should be able to show me.
I dunno where you're going, but if you're flying domestically with WestJet be sure to check their website/app or yyc.com to make sure your gate is not 70-73, else the white hatters might send you to the A gates which are at the complete opposite end of the airport, then you've got to hike all the way back or take the bus thingy.

This happened to a friend of mine today who texted me to ask why his flight to London, Ontario departed from the new international gates (it's cause the plane came from Cancun)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #1057
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I dunno where you're going, but if you're flying domestically with WestJet be sure to check their website/app or yyc.com to make sure your gate is not 70-73, else the white hatters might send you to the A gates which are at the complete opposite end of the airport, then you've got to hike all the way back or take the bus thingy.

This happened to a friend of mine today who texted me to ask why his flight to London, Ontario departed from the new international gates (it's cause the plane came from Cancun)
I'm not actually going anywhere. My dog is one of the therapy dogs that visits at the airport. So we usually just pick a concourse each week and visit there. We haven't had any orientation to the new terminal yet, but I am curious to check it out.

The part about flights coming in domestic and leaving international (or vice versa) is going to confuse a few people I think. I will make sure I get there a little early the next time I'm actually travelling.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #1058
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotcha. Well thanks for the work that you do with your dog, I know it makes people here at YEG very happy and it's always the highlight of everyone's day.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #1059
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Stand on your head and look at this in a mirror and you'll find your way.

Quote:

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #1060
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Stand on your head and look at this in a mirror and you'll find your way.
Just a mirror. They got north and south right.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc