Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #61
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Have you been to the USA? The richest country in the world? Poverty is rampant there.

The majority of Mexicans do not experience "crippling poverty" just like majority of Americans don't.
True. That is more of a Caribbean all inclusive situation. My bad. I don't go to posh resorts in Mexico. I'm more of a smallish town guy and I never fly into Mexico.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #62
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I went to Cabo earlier this year, and the police/military have definitely cracked down there. There were battleships in the bay and you'd see soldiers in automatic weapons driving by every half hour or so on patrol.

My biggest problem with Cabo is that it's becoming like Las Vegas. The downtown is filed with crazy American clubs and seedy strip bars. It had a pretty good balance of Mexican and fun clubs even 3 years ago, but it's gotten out of control within the last couple of years.

That being said, there is quite a bit of real Mexican culture there. I went on a walking taco tour while I was there and had some pretty amazing tacos. We went to a family run tortilla factory as part of the tour. If you want a break from Mexican, for about $60 you can get a very high quality surf and turf at a restaurant along the dock.

I even noticed the quality of the resort food within the resorts had gotten better. More a la carte options. Higher quality food too. For example the resort I was in had an authentic taco restaurant and made to order Italian style pizza, both of which were top notch. I guess it's the good and bad of development.

It's less "Mexican" in some ways, but the quality of things has improved. You can always find the authentic Mexican outside of the tourist areas. We actually spent two nights in the "old town" for a change. After 5 days of the resort that was a pretty welcome change.
We stay in San Jose Del Cabo to avoid the Cabo St. Lucas clown show. We will go in for one night to do the sunset cruise around the arch, hit a nice restaurant, and bar hop for a bit.

The shooting I was talking about was actually in San Jose Del Cabo. I posted the article on the shooting below. They don't have it under control in Cabo by any means. In fact it's sky rocketing. 100 police officers in the area were fired in December for failing their evaluation and trust tests, which is shows you how bad it's gotten. There was 50 murders there in one month a couple of months ago (previous records was 7).

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/tour...abos-violence/
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #63
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Spot on comment. His portrayal of Mexico is quite ignorant, and a typical soap box comment from someone wanting to white knight on a discussion forum.
Really? I wanted to defend Mexico's honor in hopes that it would sleep with me? Okay, Sparky.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #64
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Really? I wanted to defend Mexico's honor in hopes that it would sleep with me? Okay, Sparky.
This thread is someone asking about opinions on all-inclusive. I doubt the original poster or anyone helping him out came here wanting to discuss your sociological and economical views of a place and the morality of going to the Caribbean. There's only one reason to bring that up...... You couldn't even resist saying " I don't stay at those posh resorts ".
Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #65
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This thread is someone asking about opinions on all-inclusive. I doubt the original poster or anyone helping him out came here wanting to discuss your sociological and economical views of a place and the morality of going to the Caribbean. There's only one reason to bring that up...... You couldn't even resist saying " I don't stay at those posh resorts ".
Are you too dense to know what White Knighting is? Maybe check out what buzzwords mean before throwing them about like a monkey with poo.

As far as "You couldn't even resist saying 'I don't stay at those posh resorts'" goes, get over yourself. I was qualifying my statement. Don't like what I posted? Put me on ignore. Stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #66
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My biggest pet peeve about all-inclusives isn't the food, it's the culturally-ignorant people who go there and have obscene demands. I've never seen people be so rude to service staff, ever. Only 3 ice cubes in my drink instead of 4? Better call management as this is ridiculous!
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
My biggest pet peeve about all-inclusives isn't the food, it's the culturally-ignorant people who go there and have obscene demands. I've never seen people be so rude to service staff, ever. Only 3 ice cubes in my drink instead of 4? Better call management as this is ridiculous!
On that note I think the biggest crime against humanity that occurs by the same ###### bags is the ridiculous early morning towel wars that go on with these jackasses think that putting a towel on the chair it somehow reserves it for them for an unlimited amount of time throughout the day.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #68
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
We stay in San Jose Del Cabo to avoid the Cabo St. Lucas clown show. We will go in for one night to do the sunset cruise around the arch, hit a nice restaurant, and bar hop for a bit.

The shooting I was talking about was actually in San Jose Del Cabo. I posted the article on the shooting below. They don't have it under control in Cabo by any means. In fact it's sky rocketing. 100 police officers in the area were fired in December for failing their evaluation and trust tests, which is shows you how bad it's gotten. There was 50 murders there in one month a couple of months ago (previous records was 7).

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/tour...abos-violence/
Perhaps the excessive amount of police just made me feel safer. I never felt unsafe. I guess the nature of the gunmen type violence is more random though. You feel safe until the unthinkable happens. Either way, I'd say that Mexico is generally much safer than most Caribbean countries.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #69
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you end up at one where the food is below what you were expecting, make the best out of the situation by drinking enough that the quality of the food doesn't matter.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #70
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
On that note I think the biggest crime against humanity that occurs by the same ###### bags is the ridiculous early morning towel wars that go on with these jackasses think that putting a towel on the chair it somehow reserves it for them for an unlimited amount of time throughout the day.
Yeah that's another pet peeve. What's even worse is that the resort staff never seem to do anything about it
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #71
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Yeah that's another pet peeve. What's even worse is that the resort staff never seem to do anything about it
They can't because it's not worth the blowup the assets who pull that will put them through.

I don't even care anymore. If it's obvious they aren't there, I just move their stuff. If it's those plastic bags they put a bottle of water in and leave in th chair, it goes straight in the thrash. None of them have the balls to say anything either, because they don't have a leg to stand on in that argument.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #72
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If you end up at one where the food is below what you were expecting, make the best out of the situation by drinking enough that the quality of the food doesn't matter.
That is what we did on one of our trips when I was younger. Our best meals were plates full of nacho cheese covered fries at 1am.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #73
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I go to Cuba I always like to stop in at a local jail to laugh at the dissidents. If you tip the guards in US dollars they'll let you do that.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #74
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
That is what we did on one of our trips when I was younger. Our best meals were plates full of nacho cheese covered fries at 1am.

How much toilet paper was used that night?
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #75
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
True. That is more of a Caribbean all inclusive situation. My bad. I don't go to posh resorts in Mexico. I'm more of a smallish town guy and I never fly into Mexico.
Mexico is strange. You have great wealth next to extreme poverty. Was just down there in January and most cities we drove through or spent time in were like that. It's very western and developed but there are sections of town without doors and full of addicts.

Go down to Punta Cana. The people are much friendlier there and it's not so developed. It's starting to get there but it still has that small island feel. I would avoid going to Santo Domingo or Samana though.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #76
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Mexico is strange. You have great wealth next to extreme poverty. Was just down there in January and most cities we drove through or spent time in were like that. It's very western and developed but there are sections of town without doors and full of addicts.

Go down to Punta Cana. The people are much friendlier there and it's not so developed. It's starting to get there but it still has that small island feel. I would avoid going to Santo Domingo or Samana though.
I liked Samana. We were staying on an island resort though. We went into town a couple times and like the area. But as the Dominican is, there is just garbage everywhere.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #77
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I liked Samana. We were staying on an island resort though. We went into town a couple times and like the area. But as the Dominican is, there is just garbage everywhere.
The area around Samana and Santo Domingo is like that. I think it's due to how many people are there. They are working to try and clean up those beaches but the beaches in Punta Cana are pristine and have amazing sand. The northern coast is more for eco-tourism than beach relaxing like the south east coast. Last time we were there we stayed at the Dreams Palm Beach and they have a nature reserve next door. 5 Minute walk into town and right by the marina.

Last edited by northcrunk; 08-11-2017 at 09:49 AM.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #78
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A Huge Amount of Deadly Fake Booze Was Confiscated from Resorts in Mexico

Quote:
Investigators started sniffing around these bottomless beach resorts earlier this year after Abbey Conner, a 20-year-old from Wisconsin, died under mysterious circumstances at the Iberostar Paraíso del Mar resort in Playa del Carmen in January. According to the Journal-Sentinel, she and her brother Austin, 22, were found unconscious in the resort's pool after drinking "four or five tequila shots," followed by a mystery shooter Austin said looked like a Jägerbomb—though he wasn't sure what it actually was. In the hospital, both siblings were found with blood alcohol percentages over 0.20. Austin recovered, but a few days later, Abbey was taken off life support.

The family of the victim, the McGowans of Pewaukee, Wisconsin, at first appeared powerless to get answers about the death. But after their local paper, the Journal-Sentinel, started investigating, the State Department warned tourists heading to Mexico about tainted alcohol in July. A possible explanation not just for the McGowan's case, but for a number of mysterious reported blackouts, which sometimes evolved into robberies and assaults—a phenomenon that had even started to show up on Yelp reviews of these resorts.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...n-mexico-vgtrn
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #79
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was at the Canto del Sol resort in PV last month. Buffet food was generally good and varied from day-to-day. When it came to the a la carte restaurants, 2 out of 3 of our nights were outstanding, akin to a good quality restaurant here in Calgary. Very interesting dishes along with fantastic presentation. The resort was also good because there next to no Americans staying there at the time. The majority of guests were Mexican with a surprising number of Brits.

Have also stayed at Grand Sirenis and Gran Bahia Principe in Riviera Maya; much preferred GBP over GS but the food at either didn't compare to our visit at Canto del Sol.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #80
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Las Brisas in Huatulco. Not one for all inclusives but they are pretty fun for large groups. This place was really interesting. Three private beaches and the only vendor was a guy diving for oysters and abalone one day.

It's a place where Mexicans go for vacation so when we were there, in a room of 100 people 90 would be Mexican, 8 Canadian, and 2 would be American. I had some fun dusting off the ol' high school Spanish.

The food was fine for the most part. I stuck with local foods at buffets. We went to the Moroccan a la carte one night and I really did not want to go. Not only was it the best tagine I've ever had, it was the best lamb I've ever had.

The resort is an old Club Med but it has been really well cared for. It is huge in area with a ton gardens and walking paths and lots of space to wander through the hills and forest.

The town, La Crucecita is pretty safe and nice. It was Palm Sunday so it was quite the experience.

In short, I think I have found a Mexican resort without all of the things everybody hates about Mexican resorts. Would definitely go back.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote