Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #101
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So he's not even the highest scoring defenseman on his own team. Sixth highest scoring defenseman in a league where less than half the teams are playing.

This feels like a prospect being built up far too much. And I say that believing he could turn out excellent. I think we need to reign in the offensive star stuff a bit until he proves a lot more. Right now he's just a high-risk pick
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #102
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Better than the the safe big western kid pick of the past. They seem to bust just as often. I’d rather see them take swings.

Last edited by gilligans_off; 11-16-2020 at 05:15 PM.
gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #103
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
So he's not even the highest scoring defenseman on his own team. Sixth highest scoring defenseman in a league where less than half the teams are playing.

This feels like a prospect being built up far too much. And I say that believing he could turn out excellent. I think we need to reign in the offensive star stuff a bit until he proves a lot more. Right now he's just a high-risk pick
Who's doing that?
I think the risks/upside are very well understood. Who's building him up too much?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #104
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Breaking: 3rd Round Pick has warts.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #105
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tied for 5th, actually.

He's behind Jordan Spence (19 years old), Jarrett Baker (20 years old), and Luke Cormier (drafted ahead of Poirier). Tied with Larose, a 20 year oild who's had NHL camp invites. This isn't that unusual.

Poirier is one single point behind the other guy on his team. And has 3 more goals. I wouldn't doubt they are partners.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #106
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do rate him as a longshot, but since it's the Flames drafting and developing him I think he will eventually make it.

If you look at the last few D prior to this year that the organization has selected, it looks pretty damn good with only the 7th rounder hail maries (Falkovsky, Bruce) busting. Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington. So you'd have to think the scouts are reasonably confident that they can do something about the deficiencies in his own end.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #107
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is a very lazy post.

He's a 3rd round pick. Of course he has warts.

That said,

- He was viewed as a potential 1st round pick
- He led all QMJHL D-men in goals last season and is likely to do so again this season. He also led all QMJHL D-men in shots (261; 35 more than 2nd place) and dangerous shots (76; 15 more than 2nd place)
- He was the first U-18 D-man in the QMJHL in 20+ years to score 20+ goals.
- He was viewed as one of, if not the most talented offensive D-men in his draft class
- His hands were easily the best among all D-men in his draft class
- One of the common criticisms of Saint John's is they play with zero structure (something that contributes to Poirier's poor defensive play)

Poirier has many deficiencies (tries to do too much, very poor in the D-zone, etc.) but in the areas he's good at, he's not just average, but he excels.

The Flames are swinging for the fences with this pick. Many scouts believe Poirier could very easily be the steal of the draft, and there were many draft models showcasing how truly elite Poirier is in the QMJHL and how crazy it was for him to drop so far.

Even if Poirier were to develop into a below-average D-man on the defensive end of things (he's currently below, beloooow-average), his offensive prowess would allow him to QB the top PP unit while getting sheltered on the 3rd pair. If he were to progress nicely on defense (something that's quite possible if Saint John's coaches ever decide to use structure), then we're talking about an absolute steal of a pick.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #108
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Outside of the Boltmann pick I think the Flames nailed the 2020 draft.

Top 3 picks were great (although I would have liked to see us trading up using the Boltmann and Kuznetsov picks to see if we could somehow get in the range to grab Gunler - but I understand the concerns with him).

I think Francis and Kerns are underrated picks in the 5th and 6th and you can’t complain with Chechelev in the 4th. There is too little known about the dman we took in the 7th.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #109
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like Poirier and possibly Francis (who played Poirier last night) will be off for the next couple weeks.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1329504518594121729
Old 11-24-2020, 07:41 PM   #110
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Outside of the Boltmann pick I think the Flames nailed the 2020 draft.

Top 3 picks were great (although I would have liked to see us trading up using the Boltmann and Kuznetsov picks to see if we could somehow get in the range to grab Gunler - but I understand the concerns with him).

I think Francis and Kerns are underrated picks in the 5th and 6th and you can’t complain with Chechelev in the 4th. There is too little known about the dman we took in the 7th.
Not me. I think Kuznetsov is the best value pick of the draft. I think he is exactly what we needed. Diamond in the rough for sure
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #111
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Poirier named QMJHL d-man of the month of November
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/poir...hl/c-319740992
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #112
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Poirier named QMJHL d-man of the month of November
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/poir...hl/c-319740992
What a bust!
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #113
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This means nothing, if he was really good they would have named him d-man of December by now.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #114
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

D-man of December is meaningless. If he was any good he would be the QMJHL defenseman of the year by now.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #115
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole QMJHL is meaningless. If Poirier was any good he would be playing in NHL games right now. He isn't, so he's obviously a total bust.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #116
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The whole QMJHL is meaningless. If Poirier was any good he would be playing in NHL games right now. He isn't, so he's obviously a total bust.
Playing in the NHL is meaningless. Thousands have played, many scrubs. If Poirier was any good he would already be in the HHOF. He isn't, so he is obviously a total bust.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #117
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Playing in the NHL is meaningless. Thousands have played, many scrubs. If Poirier was any good he would already be in the HHOF. He isn't, so he is obviously a total bust.
Being in the HHOF is meaningless. If Poirier was any good, he would've had the HHOF named after him by now. He hasn't, so he is obviously a bust.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #118
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Jeremie is the Poor Man's Poirier.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #119
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

All that is meaningless, if he was any good he would have made Emile a better player.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #120
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Jeremie is the Poor Man's Poirier.
Does that make Jérémie the Rich Man's Poirier?