Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Space Haven Alpha 9 released

• Environment hazards Implemented - Solar flares, Micrometeoroids, Nebulae and Siren Worlds.
  • New Faction Interactions Implemented - Signaling, NPC Hailing, Distress State and Refugees.
  • Signaling - Allows spaceships to communicate simple intents directly, like "we want to communicate", "we want to surrender", "we want to establish a cease fire and communicate".
  • Distress state - Allows a spaceship and its crew to turn on a distress beacon and call for help.
  • Refugees - A new character status in addition to the prisoner status, saved crew members from destroyed spaceships who are looking to be reunited with their faction.
  • Suspicion - A new faction status, whereby another faction can be suspicious towards you that you are hiding something from them.
  • Implemented a lot of new communication dialogue related to the new faction interaction implementations.
  • NPC spaceships now signal and hail the player at times, asking if the player has seen their crew members who sent out a distress call.
  • The player can now try to lie in certain dialogue scenarios.
  • NPC factions can now help each other in distress situations as well.
  • Solar flares - Overload your power nodes and may cause fires aboard your ships.
  • Micrometeoroids - Rain down on your ships and strike your mining pods. Shields mitigate to a degree.
  • Microbreaches - Small cracks which cause depressurization.
  • Siren Worlds - Peculiar planets whose strange signals mess with the mind.
  • Nebulae - An interstellar cloud of ionized gases, which has a draining effect on shields.
  • Added Space Hazards individually to the game customization screen - Tweak their presence and make them non-existent if you so desire.
  • Ability to set the resource amounts for derelicts added to the game customization screen.
  • Harsh game difficulty is now rebalanced to be harder.
  • Shuttles and miners can now become broken if hit by micrometeoroid.
  • Broken crafts can't work and leak oxygen.
  • Many Siren World character conditions added: Disorientation, Psychotic, Schizophrenia, Lost Appetite, Insomnia, Aggressivity, Urge to Destroy.
  • New Character conditions and behavior possibilities: Committing suicide, poisoning, seeing a captive crew member.
  • Implemented an improved way to override crew member schedules for a set amount of hours, for situations needing quick action.
  • Crew member schedule overriding can be done by selecting a crew member and from the crew management screen.
  • Tweaked Character conditions.
  • Tweaked energium to energy rod ratio lower.
  • Rebalanced trading prices of resources.
  • Made the game log more selective of which conditions and events are listed.
  • Hangars can be paused/unpaused to prevent craft from doing work.
  • Crew members can fight each other if they get irritated enough.
  • Added additional information for grow beds, to easily see if conditions are optimal for plant growth.
  • Graphic assets Improvements and Polish: Toilet, Hypersleep chamber, Operations console, Power capacitor, Airlock, Assembler.
  • Fixed in-floor power node restrictions to a degree.
  • Tweaked the surrender trigger from bullet hits to function in a better way.
  • Added a scaling system to the presence of space hazards within star systems, giving the player a bit more time to build up a ship with necessary systems ready. Space Hazards can still be encountered early on, but it is much less likely than in later systems.
  • Added auto-toggling repair for micro-breaches, making crew members react to them more quickly. If auto-maintenance is toggled on (As it is by default) crew members will prioritize
    micro-breaches even during their free time and sleep.
  • Tweaked the solar flare event occurrence interval range to be a bit longer within a sector with a solar flare, this gives the player a bit more time to repair their ship before another
    solar flare hits.
  • Adjusted crew members with the Suicidal trait to not get a mental break so easily.
  • Fixed bugs.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump started a new ship with the major changes above, it makes the game a lot harder and deeper. They did change the power generation systems which is a bit painful, because the basic generator uses unrefined fuel and not the fuel rods. Also you don't have access to all of the technology as they have added a research tree, and a research station.

I think there are some bugs or ommissions. Something as simple as a bed isn't in the build list at the start. I might be missing somethings.

But it went from a fun little ship builder to something that's a lot deeper and a bit more difficult.

Also the system changes with meteors, siren planets etc means you really have to be smart in your navigating.

My crew really started hating each other because I put together a lot of people with high zest and they started to beat up on players with Low Zest.

Still a great game, but its got a bigger learning curve.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #43
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I've noticed Spaceship building sims are pretty hot these days. Cosmoteer is getting great reviews and The Last Starship is in the works by the guys who did Prison Architect. I haven't been keeping up with development of Space Haven but they have competition!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I bought this game awhile back but never turned it on. I did want something similar to the isometric Theme Hospital look but managing a space station and the people within.

I was previously in a beta for a cancelled game called Spacebase DF9 but unfortunately it was canned and the only remaining version is a buggy early build.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...Spacebase_DF9/
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #45
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

you do have the ability to build a space station in Space Haven. I would expect that the trading requirement would be really really high, as you would have access to limited raw materials, but you could build a whole manufacturing section and buy raw materials and build finished goods and things like fuel.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:19 PM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So its been a while. But I still love this game, and its massively expanded with V17 hitting the test environment.

so what's different?

A lot. They've added a whole new enemy, and also expanded on an old one.

for the aliens, they've added two more classes, they're the typical xenomorph, trying to ram eggs down your chest.

The new enemy is tougher and its renegade robots that are now about collecting and learning. They not only take over ships, and derelics, but also defend asteroids with resources. If they detect a human ship the scouts will send out a signal which brings in an attack fleet.

so what's changed. Well the game is certainly tougher, they've added rogue objects that float around and hit your ships. The robots attack your ship from the outside strafing it and punchin holes in it.

But you have weapons. they've added automated point defense systems. You can also build fighter ports and use your pilots to find it. The fighters look like the fighters from babylon 5. I'll be posting a picture of my latest ship, Once I've added a flight deck to it.

Oh to make things even tougher. Not only does your equipment wear out and need constant maintenance. Your personal gear wears out and you need a work bench to repair them.

Its now really tough to balance out fighters and weapons and equipment with your equipment points. Right now my ship is still early and I've got 2 shield gerators and 5 point defense guns. But I will be adding auto cannons rocket launchers fighters and scanners to it, I don't know how I'm going to balance that out.

Oh one other add on. This game really emphasizes picking a mission. You can add a cargo hauling port and be a freighter. Build a prison and be a bounty hunter, or be a factor ship. But you really can't do them all.

Anyways. Still an awesome game. Last night I dropped into a really rich system, and didn't realize I was in a siren system until during a robot attack half of my crew went insane and started brawling.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:09 AM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back into it myself after not playing since maybe Alpha 5

Having a blast playing as pirates and murdering civilianseverywhere I go
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:50 AM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Just got back into it myself after not playing since maybe Alpha 5

Having a blast playing as pirates and murdering civilianseverywhere I go
Make sure you research the slave collars.

As well make sure you build a recycler those corpses are gold.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So V17 has some really interesting things.

Having the bugs with the ability to jump your ship and set up a nest is kind of cool. If you kill one of the nests with unspace suited crew members they get infected by a spore and if you don't catch it, your crew gets infected and dies very quickly.

The only cure is a medical bed or isolating infected crew members and letting them die.

You can also rescue infected people from ships over run by aliens. Its best not to bring them to your ship as refugees or prisoners. I've abandoned a lot of people in need of rescue.

Point defense systems, fighters and shields become really important early in the game.

The new threat, the robot race will attack your ship with fighters and use a drop ship to insert attackers into your ship. So its important to have a well armed and protected team of crew members that can repulse the attackers.

The personality types have become more interesting. You now have people that are too brave, and the alien lover is hilarious. I watched a crew member steal an alien body from my body storage. Sneak into a bathroom and lock the doors then the ceiling of the ship went up so I couldn't see what was going on.

People on the ship are more willing to create love relationship, but also enemy relationships. One day when food was low and frustration was high, I had a brawl in the cargo bay over jealousy.

My ship has gotten huge. I have a ship that does everything, and is crewed by nearly 50 people working 3 shifts a day and hot bunking. At the same time, I have a small ship in my fleet which is basically a luxury ship that has very few very entitled crew members who do very little work.