Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2024, 10:42 AM   #1061
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I rode in the first Tesla roadster, which was legitimately cool.

My next time in one wasn't until last year, in a Model Y. Watching the driver shift into reverse and realizing they had to look at the giant glued on iPad "oh that's odd..". Watching the driver try and see his speed, and realizing they had to look at the giant glued on iPad "ok that is downright stupid".

It reminded me of these god awful dash layouts, but worse:

Spoiler!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:47 AM   #1062
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
A lot of that, feeling like you were saving the world or had a "laptop on wheels". Plus a lot of early government incentives with purchase/registration subsidies and/or quality-of-life benefits (like getting to drive on HOV lanes even if you were the only car occupant).
I don't think any of these is the reason people bought them. I think some history and context is important here.

Firstly, Tesla was the only electric car that wasn't an awful Nissan Leaf until relatively recently. So anyone who saw promise in electric transportation had really no choice.

Second, Tesla still has some of the best performance specs all around for vehicles in its class, especially if you figure in cost.

Third, early adopters of EVs appear to be mostly early adopters of technology who value new capabilities above all else and often overlook things like build quality and software glitches. These weren't typical car buyers. Ford for example, found that almost none of their early Lightning buyers were Ford customers.

Lastly, I'm not a Tesla fan but they have the world's best selling vehicle in 2023 for a reason. It's absurd to say that everyone is just horribly mistaken
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote