Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #1201
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m actually undecided what is worse on an individual level. Grown adults taking cues on climate change from a 16-year old girl, or grown adults openly mocking a 16-year old girl.

Both, to me, seem incredibly embarrassing. She’s 16.
Is Corsi mocking her?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #1202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m actually undecided what is worse on an individual level. Grown adults taking cues on climate change from a 16-year old girl, or grown adults openly mocking a 16-year old girl.

Both, to me, seem incredibly embarrassing. She’s 16.
Her age is irrelevant, once the decision is made to become an open and public figure on the policy then criticism and praise are going to follow respectively.

Its kind of the crux of the matter, the only thing that really works in her favour is her age, but concerning climate science her age really doesnt matter.

So take away the 'OMG she 16!!!' factor and shes really just some propped-up rando who doesnt know anything other than what shes read online or been told.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #1203
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are some people so butthurt over people trying to make change in the world? Honestly all I see are people on Facebook complaining about this and even some people on here making fun of them. Good for them I want my kids and their kids to live in a better world.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #1204
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Is Corsi mocking her?
Not that I can tell in the slightest. I was agreeing with his point that nobody should really care what she thinks.

You wouldn't have to look far to find it, though. Even in a couple threads here.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #1205
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Why are some people so butthurt over people trying to make change in the world? Honestly all I see are people on Facebook complaining about this and even some people on here making fun of them. Good for them I want my kids and their kids to live in a better world.
I'm not as vitriolic as some, but I do find her kind of annoying. It's probably just the overexposure, and not really her per se. I'm just kind of tired of hearing about her. Since she's not really bringing anything new to the discussion, why is she so omni-present currently? Just because she's 16?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #1206
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I can tell in the slightest. I was agreeing with his point that nobody should really care what she thinks.

You wouldn't have to look far to find it, though. Even in a couple threads here.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #1207
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Is Corsi mocking her?
Actually, I'd lean the opposite way. Individually, she's clearly praiseworthy. For a 16 year old she seems really impressive. Not more so than a million other sixteen year olds around the world, mind you. She's not Malala Yousafzai or anything.

There's nothing to mock her for; she's just not worthy of any public attention.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #1208
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Will be interesting to see the turnouts for these (weather isn't so great). I suspect larger crowds in Eastern Canada (the Twitter videos make it seem like the weather is quite nice for a protest in Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, Montreal, etc.).
Meanwhile at the Calgary rally:

Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #1209
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There was a protest here in Quebec city that was annoying. But I am also having Autistic meltdowns here so maybe I'm biased. But there are three cruise ships docked at the port and many pubs/restaurants have their doors open and heated patio's.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #1210
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Again, go look at what those climate strike protesters want. There is no science behind anything they are saying.

The world is a strange place right now. Bill Gates came up with a nuclear reactor that could use the stockpiles of spent uranium that we have sitting around and doing nothing. But because of 'public perception' he can't build a prototype in North America.

What is public perception if not meaningless protests and 16 year kids talking as if they understand a single thing about what climate change is all about?

That is the problem. That 16 year is shaping public opinion because most people are too stupid to go educate themselves. That is why she needs to be criticized and called out for her SHEER ignorance on what is really going on.

She and all the other sheep that follow her beliefs are the reason we are in this mess. Nuclear could have saved us by now, but instead of the NIMBY crowd has made sure nothing has happened there and now they want to claim moral superiority in this fight? Screw that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #1211
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Again, go look at what those climate strike protesters want. There is no science behind anything they are saying.

What is public perception if not meaningless protests and 16 year kids talking as if they understand a single thing about what climate change is all about?

That is the problem. That 16 year is shaping public opinion because most people are too stupid to go educate themselves. That is why she needs to be criticized and called out for her SHEER ignorance on what is really going on.
What are they saying that lacks science? Do you even know what the message behind the climate strike is?

It’s fine to be critical of the information. Especially if providing better information. But just criticising or mocking a 16 year old girl, calling her ignorant, stupid, etc kind of just makes people look like ignorant babies themselves. Like, you could boil down her position to “you’re all not doing enough” and “just listen to the science.” That’s not really controversial. Her outcomes are extreme, but her intension is admirable at a basic level, and kudos to her for being that committed as a teenager.

You’re an adult. You do not actually need to take down a teenager.

I also find, generally speaking, that when posters like yourself or Mr.Coffee talk about how “most people are stupid” you’re not doing yourself any favours. Most people probably are stupid, but a lot of very intelligent people also disagree with you, so characterising people that way isn’t great. You could say most people who argue in favour of the oil patch are stupid, it’s probably true. You could say most people who support Trudeau are stupid, it’s probably true. You could say it about anything. It doesn’t actually mean anything.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #1212
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #1213
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
What are they saying that lacks science? Do you even know what the message behind the climate strike is?

It’s fine to be critical of the information. Especially if providing better information. But just criticising or mocking a 16 year old girl, calling her ignorant, stupid, etc kind of just makes people look like ignorant babies themselves. Like, you could boil down her position to “you’re all not doing enough” and “just listen to the science.” That’s not really controversial. Her outcomes are extreme, but her intension is admirable at a basic level, and kudos to her for being that committed as a teenager.

You’re an adult. You do not actually need to take down a teenager.

I also find, generally speaking, that when posters like yourself or Mr.Coffee talk about how “most people are stupid” you’re not doing yourself any favours. Most people probably are stupid, but a lot of very intelligent people also disagree with you, so characterising people that way isn’t great. You could say most people who argue in favour of the oil patch are stupid, it’s probably true. You could say most people who support Trudeau are stupid, it’s probably true. You could say it about anything. It doesn’t actually mean anything.
You edited out the most important part of my post.

Someone very smart, i.e. an intelligent person who tons of resources, money and know how, has come with a great idea to reduce emissions and make the world a better, cleaner place. Why isn't his idea being given a chance? At the VERY LEAST TerraPower should be allowed, hell encouraged to build a prototype in North America. But because of the negative public perception of nuclear power it is not happening. As the 3rd episode of 'Inside Bill's Brain' mentioned, no new research has been done on nuclear reactors in over 25 years. That is insane, and yet when you go look at why you realize it is again because of public perception.

Once you accept that, start asking yourself what public perception is. Most people in Canada are in favor of the pipeline, oil & gas, etc. Why isn't that going ahead then?

I feel strongly it is because of the ignorant sheep who march in protests and base their life on fancy slogans on signs "Life-line not, pipeline", and think if they stop eating meat or traveling by air they will change something.

Will they? Is there any scientific evidence to suggest that if I stop eating meat that something will change? That if I stop traveling on a plane something will change? There isn't, and that is why that viewpoint is dumb, ignorant and extremely naive.

We need to focus on BIGGER issues. And yet society constantly comes back to small-minded stupidity.

Public perception.

Based on a 16 year old's understanding of the world.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #1214
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The world is a strange place right now. Bill Gates came up with a nuclear reactor that could use the stockpiles of spent uranium that we have sitting around and doing nothing. But because of 'public perception' he can't build a prototype in North America.

She and all the other sheep that follow her beliefs are the reason we are in this mess. Nuclear could have saved us by now, but instead of the NIMBY crowd has made sure nothing has happened there and now they want to claim moral superiority in this fight? Screw that.
This is such an ignorant post. All Thunburg is doing is asking people to listen to the actual science, not her personal beliefs or opinions. And it seems to me that she clearly DOES know what she's talking about and has obviously done her homework, as have many of the youth who are taking part in these marches I'll bet.

Seeing so many grown adults doing nothing but denigrating and mocking these inspiring and passionate young people is frankly embarrassing and shameful. They're simply demanding a better world for their futures and the futures of their children, and at least they're out there trying to raise awareness and make a difference. Personally, these kids have my full support and I hope they succeed in encouraging governments around the world to do more to combat this crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-change-action

Quote:
Thunberg, the Swedish teenager who has ignited a global youth climate movement, said at a congressional hearing that she had no prepared remarks other than to submit the landmark IPCC report, published last year, that warned of the rapidly approaching catastrophe of global heating.

“I don’t want you to listen to me, I want you to listen to the scientists,” Thunberg told the US lawmakers. “I want you to unite behind the science and I want you to take real action.”

Here's the latest IPCC report that was submitted to Congress the other day, which features contributions from over 100 scientists and experts from 36 countries. I suggest you check it out.

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/

https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth...and-cryosphere
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 PM   #1215
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nuclear vaporware that will likely take decades (if ever) to be a viable commercial generation plant isn't a magic bullet. Particularly when nuclear is likely to become uneconomical and exceedingly inflexible relative to most other options in the coming decades.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #1216
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I feel strongly it is because of the ignorant sheep who march in protests and base their life on fancy slogans on signs "Life-line not, pipeline", and think if they stop eating meat or traveling by air they will change something.

Will they? Is there any scientific evidence to suggest that if I stop eating meat that something will change? That if I stop traveling on a plane something will change? There isn't, and that is why that viewpoint is dumb, ignorant and extremely naive.

We need to focus on BIGGER issues. And yet society constantly comes back to small-minded stupidity.

Public perception.

Based on a 16 year old's understanding of the world.
But you’re really just assuming their beliefs and intentions and making a judgement based on your own assumptions. You don’t really know, and that’s clear by misinterpreting the 16-year old’s goal from the outset.

I’m just not sure I understand the criticism. They’re doing something, right? Is it effective? I guess probably not. But the intention is at least “hey, pay attention to science!” which seems okay to me.

What are you doing? Sitting around telling people to watch Netflix? What makes that interesting or admirable? It’s a whole lot of nothing.

“Watch this tv show! And then... uh... think!” Ok, nice. Tell me more. We solve the problem by listening to what Bill Gates says on a tv show?

EDIT: and to be clear, I disagree with stopping pipelines. I disagree with needing to cut emissions by 80% in ten years or whatever. I do not, in general, believe whole heartedly in the solutions. But I’m also not going to sit here and say “it’s my job to criticise a 16 year old who tells me to listen to science! She must be stopped! SHEEPLE!”

Last edited by PepsiFree; 09-27-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #1217
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
“Watch this tv show! And then... uh... think!” Ok, nice. Tell me more. We solve the problem by listening to what Bill Gates says on a tv show?
Huh? Maybe you should watch the show, listen and understand what Gates is trying to do before making such a stupid comment.

A heck of a lot better than another study saying how terrible climate change is.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #1218
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Feels like this whole climate change is the new Y2K. So much alarmist handwringing with no practical solutions other than "Zero carbon now! Or we're all doomed! DOOOOMMED!!! Won't someone please think of the children!"
I still think global warming is just something a lot of people hide behind who really just want wealth redistribution.

I do wonder how accurate some of the predictions of what might happen.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #1219
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Huh? Maybe you should watch the show, listen and understand what Gates is trying to do before making such a stupid comment.

A heck of a lot better than another study saying how terrible climate change is.
lol, I’m all for what Gates is trying to do. But if you think sitting on your computer urging people to watch a tv show is a noble act while getting off your butt and urging leaders to listen to the science is some useless sheeple nonsense, you’re an idiot. That was my point. Absolutely nothing against Gates or nuclear.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #1220
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I think the issue here really is materialistic and ease of living (convenience).

Every invention or cause in our lifetime has improved our lives, made is faster and easier. Inventions from the radio to the tv to the computer to the internet. From the tv, to cable, to HD to 4K. From tailor clothes, to buying it at a store, to buying it online. etc.. etc..

You are paying for perks. A computer was $5000 in the 70s, now it's $300.

But on the issue of fighting climate change, you're not taking convenience away.

Buy a Tesla for $100,000 but we don't have convenient charging stations.
Or don't drive at all, walk, bike or take transit which takes a little longer.
It may even mean your kid has to walk to school.

People have to decide how important fighting climate change really is? Is is important enough to inconvenience ourselves?

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-27-2019 at 08:05 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post: