Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #10601
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Lol jeez you people are triggered haha
Man, the word triggered needs to be censored out on CP, so tired of seeing it, haha. It's the worst word to come along in decades.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:32 PM   #10602
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Kinda looks like a body double with a bad plastic mask is what they’re saying. Not rocket appliances to figure that out is it?

Eh could be. Picture was taken with a potato though so could be anything
The video in the link looks a little more incriminating. It's weird anyway.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:33 PM   #10603
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

That clip reminds me off something

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:39 PM   #10604
cam_wmh
Franchise Player
 
cam_wmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Why are they sending a double?
Symbolism and propaganda where Putin, is showing presence in the midst of the war on their "re-claimed" lands, similar to when Biden met with Zelinski in Kiev. It's news to nobody, that he is exceptionally paranoid of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Man, the word triggered needs to be censored out on CP, so tired of seeing it, haha. It's the worst word to come along in decades.
When all else fails, & no sensible rebuttal avails them...
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 08:46 PM   #10605
FlameOn
Franchise Player
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Symbolism and propaganda where Putin, is showing presence in the midst of the war on their "re-claimed" lands, similar to when Biden met with Zelinski in Kiev. It's news to nobody, that he is exceptionally paranoid of late.



When all else fails, & no sensible rebuttal avails them...
He's paranoid AF. A few months back he appeared in multiple "visits" to military personnel in hospital, but they turned out to be actors since the soldiers and staff were were reused multiple times in other propaganda videos and the hospital was filmed on his personal presidential compound or something.

He's also insecure he got no rebuttal of any kid when Biden showed up in Ukraine to visit in an active war zone, despite personal danger. Putin's ego and propaganda image as a tough man won't let him be seen doing nothing with Ukraine. Won't visit Donbas, but Crimea is plausible enough that he can send a body double or two.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:49 PM   #10606
Jacks
Franchise Player
 
Jacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Can someone post the video (or link) here?
I have no interest in joining Reddit.

Edit: nevermind, found it on Youtube




Was this video put out by the Russians?
I mean, it's obviously a guy in a mask. Makes me wonder if someone didn't fake the video, I know Russia is dumb but this is a bit much.



Edit 2: Now that I look again I don't think it is a mask, it is probably him.
Another video



Last edited by Jacks; 03-18-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #10607
FlameOn
Franchise Player
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Can someone post the video (or link) here?
I have no interest in joining Reddit.

Link
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 11:05 PM   #10608
zamler
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

It really looks like that dude is checking to make sure his mask won't fall off. But kinda potato cam.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 11:57 PM   #10609
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Putin in Crimea

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 04:27 AM   #10610
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Apparently he visited his destruction in Mariupol today as well.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #10611
FlameOn
Franchise Player
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Obviously it's just Steven Segal in a mask.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #10612
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Just to state the obvious, it's possible both are true, that Putin did visit Crimea, and also that a body double was used to stage some shots.

Some long videos on the war well worth watching.

Short version for this would be basically:
Economic warfare probably isn't bringing this war to an end any time soon, at least on it's own, and generally speaking populations in key countries still clearly support the war despite best efforts of Russia so there isn't really much movement expected there one way or the other. (Russian internal support of the war is really an open question, but since open opposition isn't popping up in significant numbers, that's kind of irrelevant.)

On the other hand there are signs that the sanctions are having a significant effect on Russia's ability to produce new materiel etc, so in that sense the sanctions are doing at least part of what they're supposed to do.


Basically the Russian winter offensive failed. They made insignificant gains on the map while wasting excessive amounts of men and materiel. On the other hand it did put a significant strain on the Ukrainian military and it's resources, and it did at least give Russia time to fortify their own defensive positions in waiting for the next Ukrainian offensive, meaning that the next Ukrainian offensive will likely end up being a lot more costly than previous ones.


Anne Applebaum has many great interviews, but the first part of this (about the first 15 min) where they talk about Ukrainian society was very interesting, and encouraging.

On the other hand, she does a good job reminding that while Poland generally speaking has been a massive supporter of Ukraine, the ruling party in Poland is is still all kind of terrible and has bad relationships with basically everybody, to the extent that they're not really even in speaking terms with some other heads of state.

Last edited by Itse; 03-19-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 07:11 AM   #10613
FlameOn
Franchise Player
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Surprise surprise, facial recognition on the "regular people" Putin visited in occupied Ukrainian territories shows high correlation to actors previously used in other Putin propaganda videos. You'd think they could afford a few more actors.

This is the same Potemkin level stuff the Soviets used taken to a whole new level. Couple this with the other visit videos in daylight appearing to be a body double/deep fake and only night time videos that "might" actually be him and people will surely recognize how strong Putin is.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1637577751442931714

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-20-2023 at 07:25 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 08:52 AM   #10614
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback
 
karl262's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Just to state the obvious, it's possible both are true, that Putin did visit Crimea, and also that a body double was used to stage some shots.

Some long videos on the war well worth watching.

Short version for this would be basically:
Economic warfare probably isn't bringing this war to an end any time soon, at least on it's own, and generally speaking populations in key countries still clearly support the war despite best efforts of Russia so there isn't really much movement expected there one way or the other. (Russian internal support of the war is really an open question, but since open opposition isn't popping up in significant numbers, that's kind of irrelevant.)

On the other hand there are signs that the sanctions are having a significant effect on Russia's ability to produce new materiel etc, so in that sense the sanctions are doing at least part of what they're supposed to do.


Basically the Russian winter offensive failed. They made insignificant gains on the map while wasting excessive amounts of men and materiel. On the other hand it did put a significant strain on the Ukrainian military and it's resources, and it did at least give Russia time to fortify their own defensive positions in waiting for the next Ukrainian offensive, meaning that the next Ukrainian offensive will likely end up being a lot more costly than previous ones.


Anne Applebaum has many great interviews, but the first part of this (about the first 15 min) where they talk about Ukrainian society was very interesting, and encouraging.

On the other hand, she does a good job reminding that while Poland generally speaking has been a massive supporter of Ukraine, the ruling party in Poland is is still all kind of terrible and has bad relationships with basically everybody, to the extent that they're not really even in speaking terms with some other heads of state.
Lazerpig put this out recently paying homage to Perun, it's fantastic:

https://youtu.be/FWIzhP6G7S8
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #10615
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Double.

Last edited by CroFlames; 03-20-2023 at 08:59 AM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #10616
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Medvedev threw a hissy fit today saying they are going to strike the ICC in The Hague with a hypersonic missile because they indicted daddy Putin. Totally innocent though.

He then went on to say that because the ICC is international, it's actually NOT part of NATO and therefore there's no danger of that pesky article 5 bull####.

Totally innocent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-missiles.html

https://kyivindependent.com/news-fee...-against-hague
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:59 AM   #10617
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Surprise surprise, facial recognition on the "regular people" Putin visited in occupied Ukrainian territories shows high correlation to actors previously used in other Putin propaganda videos. You'd think they could afford a few more actors.

This is the same Potemkin level stuff the Soviets used taken to a whole new level. Couple this with the other visit videos in daylight appearing to be a body double/deep fake and only night time videos that "might" actually be him and people will surely recognize how strong Putin is.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1637577751442931714
Well the actors have to be 100% guaranteed to not try to shiv Putin. That limits the pool quite a bit.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:17 PM   #10618
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Medvedev threw a hissy fit today saying they are going to strike the ICC in The Hague with a hypersonic missile because they indicted daddy Putin. Totally innocent though.
"How dare you accuse our President of war crimes! We are outraged! In fact we are so outraged we will commit a war crime!"
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #10619
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Lazerpig put this out recently paying homage to Perun, it's fantastic:

https://youtu.be/FWIzhP6G7S8
That's not bad

I'll just comment on one thing; The sentence "this could be the final push that wins the war" (describing Ukraine's presumably upcoming assault.)

That's within the realistic realms of possibility, sure. We don't know what the reality of the Russian forces in Ukraine looks like overall. It's really hard to know what the morale is like, how serious and widespread the equipment shortages are etc.

But given that they are still a very large army on the defense with plenty of time to prepare for what's coming, they'll have to suffer a complete, history making collapse of morale and/or organization to actually lose all of the ground even this year, and even if Ukraine wins all the ground that doesn't in itself end the war. The war ends when someone in Russia takes out Putin.

There's really no historical precedent for a war like this.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #10620
Jacks
Franchise Player
 
Jacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

When does Putin announce the next mobilization?
That could be the last straw that actually gets the people to revolt. Probably not though.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021