Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #241
Tikk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are there any Flahs experts here?

I got the Flash MX 2004 Bible and the official Actionscript book from Macromedia, each one came with a tutorial CD. If I read them, I will become an expert, right? I'm just too intimidated to start right now; the best thing I made on Flash so far is a 3D bouncy ball. What do you suggest?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #242
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal
I don't even think the card you are looking will do what you want it either. You might want to look at the Ati All-In-Wonder cards. You should be able to pick get one that is AGP and will work with your MoBo.
The X1300 will be wonderful for games, but lacking in the video features. Plus, being PCI-E card, will not work with your current hardware

The all-in-wonder cards are alittle behind the "bleeding edge" ATI cards, but have more functionaily, and should work with your current hardware.
Not sure if I 100% understand what you are saying here but they are making the All-In-Wonders for PCI-E.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #243
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikk
Are there any Flahs experts here?

I got the Flash MX 2004 Bible and the official Actionscript book from Macromedia, each one came with a tutorial CD. If I read them, I will become an expert, right? I'm just too intimidated to start right now; the best thing I made on Flash so far is a 3D bouncy ball. What do you suggest?
Read the books, do the examples, practice what you learn. How could it hurt?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #244
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff
Not sure if I 100% understand what you are saying here but they are making the All-In-Wonders for PCI-E.
I know. Just trying to say that he should look at the AGP all-in-wonder cards instead of the gaming cards, if he wants the extra functionality.
And to make my point more clear, just was trying to say that the All-In-Wonder cards usually come out a few months behind the gaming cards.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #245
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok, gotcha
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #246
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze
Thanks a lot for the help so far. I actually took the side panel off the tower yesterday and the noise is coming from the fan that is inside the computer. I knew it wasn't the video card because that is brand new. I actually put my finger on the fan inside the computer and stopped it and the noise was gone. At the moment I type this, it's not making any unusual noise. After I took the side panel off yesterday and stopped the fan with my finger 4-5 times, it actually ran for quite a long time without interruption. So, I'm hoping that's the only problem. Thanks again.
If that seems to fix the problem, then go for it, but I should mention that what you are doing might be a little like removing the radiator from a car that keeps overheating...
Turn the computer off quickly and disconnect the power when you smell the smoke.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #247
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have a problem here and wonerding if anyone else has had this or knows what the problem is. I have a complete freeze up but it only occurs when i'm on CP!! not just lurking around but it usually occurs when I attempt to quote someone. OS is 98 (i Know ****ty) and it's a *cough* work computer. Regularly run spyware and virus scan tools and run windows updates. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #248
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It could be the ads, some of them eat up a large amount of computer resources.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #249
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Advice on new PC parts

When Ralf's cheque arrives in the mailbox I'm looking at some new parts for an upgrade. Mrs. Furnace has been complaining about her P3 so I thought it time to hand her my P4 2.0 and get some new kit.

I'm looking for advice primarily on Motherboard and processor combos. I'll likely toss in a couple Gb of RAM and a couple 250Gb drives. I also plan on sticking with my AGP card so I'm not thinking PCI-E unless someone can convince me otherwise. Also I care little about audio cards so onboard audio is preferred, and onboard 100/gigabit would be a plus though not necessary.

Anyway, what's the recommendation? Dual Core? SATA? AMD vs Intel? And if AMD what chip? I've been an intel whore forever so I know nothing about AMD.

I'm likely buying from MemX so stick with what they've got if you would please.

Thanks.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 01-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #250
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

I guess it depends on what you want to do:
If you are a hardcore gamer, I would suggest the following:
AMD64 Dual Core (AMD is better for gaming)
2GB+ DDR 3200 Ram
A mother board that supports SLI (NVIDIA) or the ATI Version (can't remember the name). That way you can get 2 of the same video card, and they work together to process graphics information. Like the old (really old) Voodoo 2 PCI cards.
Hard drives: 2 x 200 GB plus hard drives ($115/each @ mem ex), or you can always go larger. SATA. I noticed SATA II HDs available, although I have no idea what that means.. SATA v2 maybe..and I would probably run them in a RAID 0 configuration.

Anything else (Sound card vs on board) I have no clue about. Although, I probably will end up picking up a sound card as well. The difference I hear is night and day between on-board sound vs an actual sound card.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #251
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ironic you respond to my post since I wore my Arsenal shirt today!

Hardcore gamer? Used to be, playing less now, but still want some power. Photoshop is the other big app I'm running these days which is why I'm wanting the RAM.

Thanks for the post.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 01-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #252
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Firefox, is there a way to get links to open up in a new tab as opposed to a new window?

Please don't make fun of me because I'm asking such an easy question. I'll cry.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #253
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos
With Firefox, is there a way to get links to open up in a new tab as opposed to a new window?

Right-click on the link and select "Open in new tab".
Or, you can also set it to default to that:
Go to: Tools->Options, Click the "Tabs" section. Then check the box that says "Force Links that open new windows to open in: ", then select "new tab".
That should work.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #254
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

get an extension called Tabbed Browser Preferences and it should fix everything... im not at home right now so i can't get you the others that will help you, i'll post em again when i get back from school.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #255
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

along with Tabbrowser preferences you wanna get QuickTabPrefToggle which will make everything that would open in a new window open in a tab.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #256
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha, you fool! Why do you ask such easy questions?!?!?

I think there may be an easier way to get your links to open in a new tab... I just don't remember how. I know I didn't install any extensions.... which version are you using?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #257
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

**Nevermind, figured the problem out myself ***

Last edited by Trojan97; 01-25-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #258
T I M
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

middle click\scroll wheel click will automaticlly open the link in a new tab. Also, if you middle click on a tab it will close the tab. None of this right-click garbage.

Last edited by T I M; 01-26-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #259
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not aware of that one. Thanks for the tip T I M!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #260
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I M
middle click\scroll whell click will automaticlly open the link in a new tab. Also, if you middle click on a tab it will close the tab. None of this right-click garbage.
A-ha! That's what I'm looking for. Nice and simple. Thank you sir and thanks to all the kind folks who responded.
Closed Thread