Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
PyramidsofMars
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Is Calgary a racist city?

I don't think it is, but I'm always almost mocked or ridiculed when I say it isn't. I'm starting to wonder if I live in a different city than others or I just don't see it.
PyramidsofMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Examples?
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depends what you mean. For the most part I would say no, not really at all. There certainly are a few racist or ignorant people around. I think Alberta may have a few more rednecks then the average province. I would say our provincial government supports a multi-cultural society on par with most other provinces...

What exactly are you getting at?
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One thing I've learned about CP is that getting answers to generalizations is almost impossible.

If anyone on CP says ANYTHING bad about Americans, no matter how "true" the stereotype is, they get attacked. Yet at other times generalizations about Canadians seem to be much more accepted.

So the answer, IMO, is yes. Calgary is a racist city compared to Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Compared to anywhere in the bible belt, many parts of the southern US and the US midwest, Calgary is either a progressive city or about normal.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have come across some folks from Vancouver who say we are all "closed minded", but really, they're just perpetuating a decades old stereotype, generalizing all of Alberta, back from the days of the Aberhart Socreds.

Henry Steel Commager (1902-1998)

bcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
I have come across some folks from Vancouver who say we are all "closed minded", but really, they're just perpetuating a decades old stereotype, generalizing all of Alberta, back from the days of the Aberhart Socreds.
Didn't you just generalize Alberta with the last part of your post?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

i sometimes talk to frontline social worker and their answers tend to be a resounding no. but in terms of progression of multiculturalism, calgary is far more behind toronto.
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

The city as a whole is a multicultural community free of major racial prejudices. That said, it probably has Canada's highest amount of race based discrimination in isolated incidents amongst major cities. Along with the Global reports on racism at Calgary's bars, it seems like we get the biggest crowds for those delightful aryan guard hate rallies.

The red-neck culture has its pros (hot cowboys) and cons (bigots) just like many other cultures.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
One thing I've learned about CP is that getting answers to generalizations is almost impossible.

If anyone on CP says ANYTHING bad about Americans, no matter how "true" the stereotype is, they get attacked. Yet at other times generalizations about Canadians seem to be much more accepted.

So the answer, IMO, is yes. Calgary is a racist city compared to Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Compared to anywhere in the bible belt, many parts of the southern US and the US midwest, Calgary is either a progressive city or about normal.
We should definitely emulate the Quebec model of progressiveness. I'll get the storefront signs, you get the immigrants.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bcb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't you just generalize Alberta with the last part of your post?
I was simply stating a time period when the stereotype could actually hold.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We should definitely emulate the Quebec model of progressiveness. I'll get the storefront signs, you get the immigrants.
That isn't exactly racism as it is xenophobia.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #12
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I was simply stating a time period when the stereotype could actually hold.
What do you think has changed then?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That isn't exactly racism as it is xenophobia.
It's not a progressive utopia, as you suggest, though.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What do you think has changed then?
Well, for one thing, our Premier is not in cahoots with fascists and communists, like Aberhart was.

And Non WASPs are more or less accepted now.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #15
PyramidsofMars
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Examples?
I don't think it is a racist city, so I have no examples. But talking to people, I hear all sorts of accusations of racism. Calgary and Kingston are statistically the cities in Canada with the highest rate of hate crimes, but I don't think that equates necessarily to them being hateful or racist places. I guess an example recently mentioned TO me was this English immigrant who said that he'd heard a lot of 'racist' comments about recent immigrants, and when he told them he was a recent immigrant, they said 'you're different'. I don't know what comments he heard though, might have been a PC overreaction to moaning about the staff at Tim's barely being able to understand your order.

I say this as someone who considers themselves a Calgarian, who would also be considered a 'visible minority'. Granted, I don't know what White Canadians of European Ancestry say alone, between themselves, in complete privacy. The many such people I associate with haven't said anything in my presence that could be seen as genuinely racist. Perhaps misguided and a bit ignorant.

I think I would feel ostracized or discriminated against if I were living in a racist city. I go to school in Lethbridge and feel more 'different' there, but the politeness and helpfulness of people down there is wonderful, and while there have been a grand total of two incidents in which people were unjustifiably rude to me, I would hardly be quick to consider that racism.

I don't think Alberta is a 'racist' province. I think it might be more racist than some other provinces, but I don't think that translates to 'racist' compared to pretty much anywhere else in the world.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #16
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a progressive utopia, as you suggest, though.
I never called it a progressive utopia, you just did.

Well, progressive in terms of racism? Yes I think most of Quebec is ahead of us. Progressive in terms of being about a billion times more socially liberal? Yes I think Quebec is ahead of us.

Progressive in terms of completely insane xenophobia? Then no Quebec is very much like many parts of western Europe in that sense.

Last edited by flip; 12-26-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well, progressive in terms of racism? Yes I think most of Quebec is ahead of us. Progressive in terms of being about a billion times more socially liberal? Yes I think Quebec is ahead of us.

Progressive in terms of completely insane xenophobia? Then no Quebec is very much like many parts of western Europe in that sense.
If you're xenophobic or nativist, or just plain hate the English language, you're not very progressive.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #18
PyramidsofMars
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

as a Swiss citizen by birth and mother's descent, I assure you, the line between xenophobia and racism is extremely thin. The only reason my father was able to prove himself and earn my mom's family's respect is his complete non-desire in seeking citizenship.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #19
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think that Calgary is racist per se, but I think it is difficult for people that are obviously immigrants. I don't mean in skin color, ethnicity or religion, but rather in the way that you act. I find that I get treated the exact same way as other Calgarians, even thought I am a visible minority. On the other hand I have spoken to several immigrants, and they always tell me about incidents of racism. An example of this is going to the bar when I was younger with 10 of my Arab friends and we are all screaming at each other in Arabic while waiting in line which brings attention to us from the bouncers and in turn they get annoyed and not allow us into the bar. Now I go with probably the same amount of Arabs, but we keep it low key in line, then when we talk to the bouncer, we crack jokes and we have no problem getting in. Also, I think that any time a white person does anything bad to a minority, the minority cries racism, even if there is no evidence of it. If a white police officer stops a black man and gives him a speeding ticket, then usually the black man will say, "oh i wasn't even speeding that bad, that pig was just being racist."
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #20
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

how can you brand an entire city racist. It's pretty naive to think that no city contains people who might be "racist"
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post: