Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #41
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kal-Tire on 16th Ave killed my battery and gave me a "your key fob must be dead" load of !@#%. I would never blindly assume they were in the right on anything.

Not a fan of the 16th ave location, which makes up 100% of my dealings with that company.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #42
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I've had horrible customer service from the Shawnessy Kal Tire.

They said my punctured tire wasn't repairable, and then wouldn't honour their own warranty, as my dad had purchased the tires for me from Kal Tire.

They claimed because he bought them but they're on my car, the warranty is invalid. So I took the tire off, gave it to my dad to take in. They then told him "Well actually we could repair the puncture, but we already said we can't... so just take it to Canadian Tire to get repaired".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #43
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's frustrating for sure. Something is definitely up when they change their story from the car needing 4 tires to just needing 2 tires. And when they say "it's cheaper to get two new tires than to get it towed to somewhere else." And when they say they wont relalease keys unless it gets towed or the tires get changed. And the way they left the tire halfway off the rim and deflated.

The best suggestiom is to call corporate in the morning to have them address the situation (aka tattle on the franchise and make them get reprimanded). Have multiple cars (so they can hold the key) and an AMA membership (free tow) so definitely hold the upper hand as it sits now (although they don't know that)
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #44
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ That location was brutal to my wife as well. I had dropped off the vehicle in the morning for a changeover from winters to summers, mounted on rims.

They told her that all tires needed to be replaced and they wouldn't release the vehicle.

I called them and asked what was up, they said nothing and let her go.

Stay away from those guys.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #45
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should or should have recorded it on your phone. Tell them to speak clearly into the phone mic. They'll just give you your keys back. Or f not you've got a better record of what happened.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

CBC marketplace email bombardment?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #47
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

What this thread tells me is that Kal Tire in general is scummy, regardless of location.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #48
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
What this thread tells me is that Kal Tire in general is scummy, regardless of location.
I've had nothing but great service from the Cochrane location. Decent service at the Macleod one too but that was about 15 years ago now.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #49
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're great if you like wasting money
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #50
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol, Kal Tire once told me they repaired my wheel bearing, charged me for it, then as I drove off I promptly noticed they didn't do a damn thing. Should have realized when it was parked in the exact place I left it. They were unapologetic in their incompetence and also tried to charge me more for the actual repair.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #51
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kal Tires are the most overpriced scam shops ever in my opinion. In the early 2000s the Chinook location charged me $250 to mount 4 tires on loose rims, it took the guy about 20 mins. I had mounted tires for a few years in high school just prior and we charged $60 for the same work. I only had them do it because they were 18s and our machine wasn't trustworthy for that size and tire profile.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a dealership do a similar thing on my first car. Realized the tires were falling apart. It was a safety hazard they said
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #53
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
they do good work, its their tactics to increase billable hours is the shady part. Kinda like when they were caught using stolen parts from a chop shop in town. Even funnier the guy involved back then, now works for the saddledome in security.
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #54
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Best tire shop in my town. Maybe they just stay busier here and don't need to upsell or gouge.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 02-07-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #55
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm Kal Tire was one of the few places that I've had great service at.

Canadian Tire tried to tell me a basic puncture was irreparable and tried to sell me four new tires. I've since boycotted them. I then took it to Kal Tire who fixed it free.

Same deal this Summer - they pulled and patched my tire for free. This was their 42nd Ave location.

Good to know which locations to avoid.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #56
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nomnombom
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you talked to the police? That would be the first thing I would have done. I've never heard of a shop doing this but it is not out of the realm of possibility that they have the right intentions if a couple of your tires are as bad as they believe. I just can't fathom any shop would have the stones to keep your keys if they are simply trying to pressure you into a tire sale as it's just not worth the backlash if you get the police involved. People that drive on worn out tires are a danger to everyone on the streets so regardless of the outcome it's probably a good idea to start shopping for replacement tires.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #58
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a huge sign saying they won't give you your car back, and walk around in circles in front of it all day.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #59
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

First thing I would do, is read the contract which was signed when permission was granted to repair your tires.

I bet its in there,

Its most likely a safety clause.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #60
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
First thing I would do, is read the contract which was signed when permission was granted to repair your tires.

I bet its in there,

Its most likely a safety clause.
Given this is essentially a combination of theft and extortion, I would be rather surprised if such a clause would hold up as legally enforceable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: