Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #41
Guest1

GGG is a beast at this game. I won't vote for him (yet) because he brings up some good ideas and initiates dialog. Maybe this time I'll be organized enough to keep track of the voting patterns (likely not). Looking forward to hearing more from the other fans.
The only thing I have to base this vote on is I think eoj stands for Edmonton Oiler Jerk.

Vote: crazy_eoj
Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #42
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

For my own vote: I think GGGs style has always been a more aggressive one, so this doesn't seem different from previous games. However, SebC voting for GGG seems at least slightly suspicious, as with GGG being the most active he is a good target for the mafia on day one.

If GGG is town he is a good player to have on our side, so I'd prefer not to sacrifice him early. Anyway, that's my starting rationale.

I do think its a good idea for everyone to vote so we can track voting patterns. I will be switching my vote to anyone who hasn't voted within 24 hours of this post.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #43
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vote: SebC
Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #44
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to help keep track:

Votes GGG (1): Sebc
Votes crazy_eoj (1): Puxlut
Votes SebC (1): bizaro86
Votes Hockeyguy15 (1): GGG

Hasn’t Voted (11):
Hockeyguy15, Fuzz, SebC, Bonded, devo22, DropIt, WinnipegFan, mrkajz44, Scornfire, agulati, dissentowner, crazy_eoj

Deadline is Thursday, January 24th at 10:00 PM Mountain Time.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #45
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Flames fans who gets the Conn Smythe this year?
If you must ask...
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #46
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
This should be fun. Flames fans who gets the Conn Smythe this year?

As for my vote tonight, my random number generator picked Devo22.
Just an FYI - you have to make a separate post and type in bold text "Vote: person_you're_voting_for" for your vote to count. You'll notice your vote wasn't counted in Oling's tally. I'm not sure if you knew that and were just making conversation or if you intended to vote for Devo22 and weren't aware.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #47
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Also, to follow up on the comment - are we sure it doesn't make sense for the mod to reveal themselves? Obviously there is no upside to doing so until they have at least one scummy oiler fan identified. However, once they have 2 oiler fans ID'd I think they should out themselves and tell us who the oiler fans are. There isn't any downside at that point - while they probably get lynched by the oiler fans that night, they also will provide 100% of the data they could get using their power. It would be a shame for that data to die with them by mistake. Even one oiler fan identified it might be worth it...
Yes, if the moderator has found both findable Oilers fans they should definitely reveal it. Why was that even a question? You clearly understood this to be correct, with the correct rationale too boot.

You did make a mistake in saying there is no point in revealing villager checks. That is still good info, and the moderator themself being town can become good info as well.

I am not certain the exact threshold where a reveal should be made in this setup, but it is a given that there is one. Almost certainly we should not be making a lynch-or-lose vote without a revealed moderator.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cut the Mod talk,

By speculating who the Mod is you reveal clues of if you are or aren’t the Mod.

Biz should know this so it feels like Mod fishing
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #49
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
For my own vote: I think GGGs style has always been a more aggressive one, so this doesn't seem different from previous games. However, SebC voting for GGG seems at least slightly suspicious, as with GGG being the most active he is a good target for the mafia on day one.

If GGG is town he is a good player to have on our side, so I'd prefer not to sacrifice him early. Anyway, that's my starting rationale.
I will explain this, if needed, but it's better left undisclosed for now. Don't want to make myself to predictable to the mafia.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #50
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yes, if the moderator has found both findable Oilers fans they should definitely reveal it. Why was that even a question? You clearly understood this to be correct, with the correct rationale too boot.

You did make a mistake in saying there is no point in revealing villager checks. That is still good info, and the moderator themself being town can become good info as well.

I am not certain the exact threshold where a reveal should be made in this setup, but it is a given that there is one. Almost certainly we should not be making a lynch-or-lose vote without a revealed moderator.
Fair point on the villager checks - if the moderator had made a bunch of confirmed townie checks that would also be good information to have at some point. I don't think I'd like to see a reveal without an oiler fan unless there are maybe 4 confirmed townies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Cut the Mod talk,

By speculating who the Mod is you reveal clues of if you are or aren’t the Mod.

Biz should know this so it feels like Mod fishing
Disagree. I don't think talking mod strategy reveals whether one is the mod or not. Maybe one of HG, myself, or SebC is the mod and is using the discussion to divert suspicion. On the other hand, if the mod role happened to go to someone who is new to the game, the discussion potentially provides strategic upside to us, as maybe it makes the mod more effective.

I also think more conversation is generally better, more posts for the mafia to slip up over, and a bigger trail for later review.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #51
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is never a bad thing to discuss strategy. That being said the mod strategy is certainly a pickle. I think early on it is going to be a pure guessing game to sniff out the Grease. I am going to hold off my vote for now, I want to see who is going to make the effort to participate and who says what.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #52
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. I don't think talking mod strategy reveals whether one is the mod or not. Maybe one of HG, myself, or SebC is the mod and is using the discussion to divert suspicion. On the other hand, if the mod role happened to go to someone who is new to the game, the discussion potentially provides strategic upside to us, as maybe it makes the mod more effective.
I agree with this.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just so I understand, you can vote for a person, but then change that vote up to the beginning of night? So by voting earlier you are kinda fishing or leaving false trails or whatever for strategy?

And because we have no info to go on at this point, the first vote is a total shot in the dark? Or is there stuff you can base you first vote on that I am not aware of? And after the first vote the mod has information that can be subtly or overtly given in this thread?

Sorry if you don't want to discuss any of this, that's fine, or Oling can PM me if that is OK. Otherwise I'll stumble around a bit and see how it goes.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #54
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just so I understand, you can vote for a person, but then change that vote up to the beginning of night? So by voting earlier you are kinda fishing or leaving false trails or whatever for strategy?

And because we have no info to go on at this point, the first vote is a total shot in the dark? Or is there stuff you can base you first vote on that I am not aware of? And after the first vote the mod has information that can be subtly or overtly given in this thread?

Sorry if you don't want to discuss any of this, that's fine, or Oling can PM me if that is OK. Otherwise I'll stumble around a bit and see how it goes.
You can vote for a person and then remove that vote later. You can vote and unvote as often as you wish.

If everyone votes, it makes it impossible for the mafia team to not vote, because they'll get lynched. While that probably isn't useful information right now, over time the patterns of who voted for who are usually how the mafia gets caught. But if only a few people vote then the mafia can just hide out in the inactives and it makes it really hard to find them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #55
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I also think more conversation is generally better, more posts for the mafia to slip up over, and a bigger trail for later review.
Agreed - especially with a few new players that might be a bit confused. It's better to have a unified town with the same general strategy for the mod, as then it'll be easier for more of us to identify information from them if they get killed early.

Personally, I think even finding one Oiler is worth outing yourself. It'll almost surely get you killed during the night phase, but cutting down the Oil team from 3 to 2 is huge, especially when the mod is just taking shots in the dark for the most part anyway.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Agreed - especially with a few new players that might be a bit confused. It's better to have a unified town with the same general strategy for the mod, as then it'll be easier for more of us to identify information from them if they get killed early.

Personally, I think even finding one Oiler is worth outing yourself. It'll almost surely get you killed during the night phase, but cutting down the Oil team from 3 to 2 is huge, especially when the mod is just taking shots in the dark for the most part anyway.
I totally agree with this. There are only 3 greaser fans, one of which is undetectable by the mod so if we can get a kill on one of them before they take out the mod that is huge I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #57
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I will explain this, if needed, but it's better left undisclosed for now. Don't want to make myself to predictable to the mafia.
Not this again,

I’m not going to spend the game fighting you on this one but I find that playstyle incredibly frustrating and believe it damages the town. However, since this is the second game you are doing I don’t think it can be used to determine alignment.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #58
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we going to discuss who we want the mod to investigate or are we leaving it up to them?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #59
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Are we going to discuss who we want the mod to investigate or are we leaving it up to them?
This early it is pretty much a crap shoot isn't it?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #60
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
This early it is pretty much a crap shoot isn't it?
100%. But we have some new people who may not have played or know how people played during the previous games. If we can guide them to who we think might be a good investigation for a night that might be better than just letting a rookie waste a night.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote