Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #61
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Perfectly reasonable decision given his behaviour and things he's said to management and the organization over the years
No, it really isn't. Please don't use uncomfirmed rumours to try and make an argument that perhaps the greatest Flame ever should not be there. And what behaviour? You mean the demons he had from being sexually abused? So you will take that into account but not the thousands he has helped speaking around the country? Stay classy.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #62
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought tickets on vivid seats right after seeing this thread. One hour later, the price of tickets has nearly tripled.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #63
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, it really isn't. Please don't use uncomfirmed rumours to try and make an argument that perhaps the greatest Flame ever should not be there. And what behaviour? You mean the demons he had from being sexually abused? So you will take that into account but not the thousands he has helped speaking around the country? Stay classy.
Oh please.

Unconfirmed rumours? Dude, he bashed the organization and literally threw Conroy under the bus a day or two after we gave him a tryout.

The fact that neither the Flames or the HoF have come knocking should tell you something.

Glad he's sorted his personal life out, but he's burned a lot of bridges that may still need to be repaired before he has any honours bestowed upon him.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #64
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
You and everyone else...I just snagged some tickets, but you can see that prices are rising already.

Get in while you still can, fellow non-STH...
I actually pulled them off the Ticketmaster Exchange. Will go to that one. Wild games are typically automatic sells
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #65
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh please.

Unconfirmed rumours? Dude, he bashed the organization and literally threw Conroy under the bus a day or two after we gave him a tryout.

The fact that neither the Flames or the HoF have come knocking should tell you something.

Glad he's sorted his personal life out, but he's burned a lot of bridges that may still need to be repaired before he has any honours bestowed upon him.
He didn't bash the organization, he felt that he should have made the team and he was not wrong. The NHL is literally littered with players who have said something negative about a coach or a team who have had their number retired. So again, you are taking ONE incident that can be confirmed where he felt he was slighted by management as opposed to everything he did for the Flames and all the positive things he has said. The only bridges he has burned is with haters like yourself. As an example, by your argument Patrick Roy's number should not be retired in Montreal. Ridiculous.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #66
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First off, I agree that Theo's #14 should be up there someday.

However, Fleury has a fairly established track record of poorly thought out comments and jabs at the Flames organization. I was really disappointed by what he said about Conroy. There's a tangible reason why his number hasn't been retired yet.

That said, Iggy left a metaphorical fart in the room as he left the Flames, too, by nixing that Boston trade at the 11th hour after first agreeing to it.

IMO, neither Iggy nor Theo's transgressions should be enough to keep them from being honored as two of the greatest to wear the Flaming C.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #67
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
literally threw Conroy under the bus
was Conroy injured?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #68
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that no other player has worn 14 must say something about how the organization feels about Fleury.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #69
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I might buy futures in onion crops since there will be a rush on freshly cut onions on this night.

*does internet search*

Wait...what? I had no idea this was a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Futures_Act
This could be a inspired prequel to the big short. Looking forward to not hearing Margot Robbie explain this in a bathtub again.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #70
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't bash the organization, he felt that he should have made the team and he was not wrong.
TBH my memory may be blurry but Theo didn't really impress me enough to warrant a spot on the roster that season. His legs just weren't NHL quality at that point.

I mean he would have probably been worse then Jagr's time here as a Flame.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #71
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

However, Fleury has a fairly established track record of poorly thought out comments and jabs at the Flames organization. I was really disappointed by what he said about Conroy. There's a tangible reason why his number hasn't been retired yet.

That said, Iggy left a metaphorical fart in the room as he left the Flames, too, by nixing that Boston trade at the 11th hour after first agreeing to it.

IMO, neither Iggy nor Theo's transgressions should be enough to keep them from being honored as two of the greatest to wear the Flaming C.

I don't believe that's ever been confirmed, so I don't buy that there are hard feelings between the club and the player. He announced his retirement here. Furthermore, if he did "nix" a trade, it was within his rights and I would sooner pin ineptitude on Feaster than I would discourtesy on Iginla.

I'd like a list of Theo's transgressions against the club since I am not aware of them. I know he said some dumb things like his shootout goal was historic, but I don't know of any bad things he said. Having said that, he was lucky to even get a tryout in the first place; the Flames didn't owe him that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #72
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If any of you have spent time behind the scenes at the dome (I have a few times through fan experiences like the Coach's Red Zone and Top Shelf Experience), Theo always seems to be around. He has shown up to several flames dressing room experiences that I know of as well.

This means 1 of 2 things to me

1. He's on good terms with management already and is making himself available to help out flames related experiences

2. He's working his way back into the good books

Either way I agree he deserves to be up in the rafters. For whatever reason it hasn't happened yet, but it should IMO.

I personally don't hold his comments against him when he was released from his tryout. He was still in the process of sorting himself out mentally at that time (I believe), and I know from personal experience that when I've gone through difficult times I've said more than a few negative, disrespectful things I regretted without thinking.
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #73
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Does anyone know if Theo scored any important goals against Minnesota???

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #74
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

At this point, you do 12 first.

But seriously, the Flames need to put 14 up next year.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #75
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't believe that's ever been confirmed, so I don't buy that there are hard feelings between the club and the player. He announced his retirement here. Furthermore, if he did "nix" a trade, it was within his rights and I would sooner pin ineptitude on Feaster than I would discourtesy on Iginla.

I'd like a list of Theo's transgressions against the club since I am not aware of them. I know he said some dumb things like his shootout goal was historic, but I don't know of any bad things he said. Having said that, he was lucky to even get a tryout in the first place; the Flames didn't owe him that.
I had a conversation with James Duthie when he was the speaker at the RDC Sports Breakfast in Red Deer. I made a joke about Flames fans wanting more Aaron Ward trade calls and he told me the whole story about how it went down and how Boston's staff were completely stunned when the official announcement came out that he was going to Pittsburgh. One Boston player had already been told he was going to Calgary (Khokhlachev, I believe). Iggy approved both teams, Feaster finalized it and came back to Iginla who suddenly changed his mind. Feaster salvaged a trade with Pittsburgh.

That's a pretty solid source.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #76
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't bash the organization, he felt that he should have made the team and he was not wrong. The NHL is literally littered with players who have said something negative about a coach or a team who have had their number retired. So again, you are taking ONE incident that can be confirmed where he felt he was slighted by management as opposed to everything he did for the Flames and all the positive things he has said. The only bridges he has burned is with haters like yourself. As an example, by your argument Patrick Roy's number should not be retired in Montreal. Ridiculous.
He had no business on the PTO, let alone making the team. The try-out was a favour to him and his massive ego. He threw Conroy under the bus in a public interview, no need to read between any lines.

If being an egotistical jerk, that is smarter than everyone else is a result of being abused sexually, why is Sheldon Kennedy such an upstanding dude?

Have you ever read "Playing with Fire", even in his own words, the guy is a jerk. I completely understand why the Flames have washed their hands of this guy.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #77
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You mean that Boston trade that would have got us Khochlechev or whatever the busts name was, Batrkowski (who did play and suck here) and a later 1st than we got from the Pens?

5+ years later that deal did not hurt the Flames at all as it was equally as garbage as the deal they got from the Pens.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #78
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla who suddenly changed his mind. Feaster salvaged a trade with Pittsburgh.

Didn't Iggy get a call from Crosby before the trade? "Come here and play my wing."

People are people. Sometimes things are said in the heat of the moment. At some point one has to give others the benefit of the doubt and allow for a little forgiveness.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #79
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status...12925077794816
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #80
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote