Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #81
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So pay the Mexican caddies less? WTF?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #82
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrookeHen...82565220409349

Here is a story of a young hockey player's road to recovery after a spinal injury. His childhood buddy chimes in. Brooke and he are still buddies if you follow her twitter I think they are pretty tight.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #83
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It's at Pebble Beach so you could either subscribe to the theory that he has the advantage having already won there this year or that the odds of winning twice on the same course in the same year might not be very good.
Winged Foot next year, Torrey Pines the year after that.

Surely he has to win one of the next three?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #84
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So pay the Mexican caddies less? WTF?
Yup, that's exactly what I said....

The caddie going to the media and whining about how much he was paid is really bad form and petty. He is basically trying to use the media to extort more money from Kuchar. Kuchar later offered $20000 but the caddie declined the offer because he feels carrying around clubs on a course was worth at least $50000. If I was Kuchar, I would have told him that he wasn't getting a penny more than the $5000 after he declined the $20000.

Again, get the 10% agreement in writing, it's not that complicated.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #85
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Yup, that's exactly what I said....

The caddie going to the media and whining about how much he was paid is really bad form and petty. He is basically trying to use the media to extort more money from Kuchar. Kuchar later offered $20000 but the caddie declined the offer because he feels carrying around clubs on a course was worth at least $50000. If I was Kuchar, I would have told him that he wasn't getting a penny more than the $5000 after he declined the $20000.

Again, get the 10% agreement in writing, it's not that complicated.
It’s not a breach of contract situation. Just like stiffing your server isn’t.

But why does it matter how far $5000 can go in Mexico?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #86
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Kuch has to look out for his real caddy too.

A local fill-in caddy has fairly limited value to a touring pro. Especially one who doesn't speak English. The really good ones will be able to help read the greens and give yardages, but he isn't gonna have a feel for the clubs Kuch is gonna use, or how he likes to work the ball, how much he spins it or how to calm him down, etc. This guy did none of that expecting a full share is ridiculous.

They had agreed on a payment. Then he happened to win. He hadn't won in like four years, so he probably didn't have a lot of thought of winning that week. He just needed an emergency guy to carry his bags. The candy would have gotten the same if Kuch had missed the cut. So to offer a bit more was nice, but I can totally get why Kuch thinks it was handled fairly.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #87
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuch can think he handled it fairly. That's great. Out in the real world his reputation has been destroyed and that will cost him likely far more than whatever he would have chipped off as a win bonus to the caddy. Damage is done, you can't have your ENTIRE rep based on what a good guy you are, and then with one the greatest chances ever to prove it, you prove to be this. He made what he thought was a business decision, and unfortunately for him he made the wrong one. But it is definitely going to be a lot of fun to see how he deals with the crowds, he goes from being quite popular right to the top of the hecklers list.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #88
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Kuch can think he handled it fairly. That's great. Out in the real world his reputation has been destroyed and that will cost him likely far more than whatever he would have chipped off as a win bonus to the caddy. Damage is done, you can't have your ENTIRE rep based on what a good guy you are, and then with one the greatest chances ever to prove it, you prove to be this. He made what he thought was a business decision, and unfortunately for him he made the wrong one. But it is definitely going to be a lot of fun to see how he deals with the crowds, he goes from being quite popular right to the top of the hecklers list.

you think sponsors are going to drop?
you think tv will stop showing him?

it's a business, he'll be on tv the sponsor will be on his shirt.

and heckling golf crowds? nah, gold crowds are sheep, they'll just go to another hole and watch someone else.

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #89
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I do think sponsors are going to drop him. His ability to sell is based entirely off his good guy reputation....which is now gone. Not like he's an elite player, he's a good player but that's it. Appearance fees will also stop since people won't care about seeing him anymore. This isn't Tiger, who is a known hot head, or Phil, who is a known degenerate gambler. People accept that with them, because they are historically great players. Literally Matt Kuchar's entire schtick is he's one of the good guys unlike say Patrick Reed (who I suspect who have tipped). With that rep gone, what can he sell? This ordeal will end up costing him more money than had he chipped off a reasonable bonus, no doubt about it.

I suppose though it was always obvious he was a cheapskate. He does endorse Sketchers Golf shoes after all.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #90
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone will remember this in a few weeks time.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #91
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't think anyone will remember this in a few weeks time.
It seems to have a lot of legs in the golf community. It's definitely going to stick with him.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #92
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuchar didn’t need to go the traditional 10% for a win , given it was a local caddie. But a fraction of one percent is an embarrassment to him. And the “a deal is a deal” defense makes it look worse frankly.

I don’t know about sponsorships but it certainly gives you some insight into his character.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #93
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just cannot get how out of touch he's been in dealing with this. Whoever is handling his PR needs to be fired. Saying things like "$5,000 for a weeks work is great for a guy who makes $200 a day" or "I won't be losing any sleep over this" are only compounding this and making it worse for him. It's not going to be a big sports story for long, but as nfotiu said this isn't going away in the golf community.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #94
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

his name will be linked to this for a long time. before when I heard his name, I would think howdy doody looking guy wearing the Sketchers, seemingly good guy. now the first thing that comes to mind is this issue and his "rich guy" who cares the caddy should be happy with anything attitude.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #95
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Kuch has to look out for his real caddy too.

A local fill-in caddy has fairly limited value to a touring pro. Especially one who doesn't speak English. The really good ones will be able to help read the greens and give yardages, but he isn't gonna have a feel for the clubs Kuch is gonna use, or how he likes to work the ball, how much he spins it or how to calm him down, etc. This guy did none of that expecting a full share is ridiculous.

They had agreed on a payment. Then he happened to win. He hadn't won in like four years, so he probably didn't have a lot of thought of winning that week. He just needed an emergency guy to carry his bags. The candy would have gotten the same if Kuch had missed the cut. So to offer a bit more was nice, but I can totally get why Kuch thinks it was handled fairly.
How is he looking out for his regular caddy in this situation?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #96
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now we have the official apology and Kuchar will be paying him $50k. I am sure that’s exactly what he would have done after thinking about it some more and the public beating his reputation is taking has nothing to do with it. And no doubt he was encouraged by all the tour players that defended him through this.

But his agent says he is a character guy and everybody knows it so he still has that.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #97
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It seems to have a lot of legs in the golf community. It's definitely going to stick with him.
Jim Rome was all over him for it on his show,
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #98
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ames tied for the lead on the champions tour heading into Sunday.

It's a stacked leaderboard and he'll need to go low to win. He's played well so far this year so I think he has a shot.

The leaderboard is so stacked that any player leading or # back who drops a couple shots to the field may not crack the top 10.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #99
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Early Sunday updates

On the LPGA Alena Sharpe has one of her best tournaments in a while and finishes T-6 in Australia. Also, LPGA rookie Canadian Jaclyn Lee has the best result of her LPGA career with a t-22. Will be interesting to watch her. She's tiny at 5'0". Doesn't hit it too far but seems to be decent with the putter.
Brooke withdrew from this event before it started due to an illness.

Weir holding on through 14 holes and sits T-12. IF he holds on to t-12 (or even around there) this will be the highest finish in an official event on either the PGA or Web.com tour for Weir since 2014.

And finally .... through 7 holes on the Champions Tour, Stephen Ames is currently holding a 1 shot lead. Ames starts the day 3 under through 7 holes, including an eagle.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #100
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no! Ames throws up a double bogey on a par 5 on the back nine.

He's dropped to -12, and T-4. He birdies to climb back up to T-2 and -13. The leader is at -15