Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #2101
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I switch back and forth between the two, depending on a few factors. One big consideration is how many flights they have to that destination. The airline that goes more often has more options if something goes wrong. If that is pretty much equal, I choose based on price and/or flight times.

The last time I had a problem with Air Canada (my flight was cancelled) they were very helpful. Their new schedule for me didn't work, I called in and they offered me several other options, I said I wanted to think about it, and called back the next day. Got through quickly on the phone, had polite service, and no issue getting the replacement option that worked best for me.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #2102
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody else have luck trying to change flights if you are in for a long layover? I originally had just 2 hrs in SFO but because of the passport name snafu I had to rebook and got to a less optimal one that’s almost 10hrs. Figure it’s worth a shot asking or will AC expect money for catching an earlier flight? Or should I just embrace the layover and do something in the city?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #2103
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody else have luck trying to change flights if you are in for a long layover? I originally had just 2 hrs in SFO but because of the passport name snafu I had to rebook and got to a less optimal one that’s almost 10hrs. Figure it’s worth a shot asking or will AC expect money for catching an earlier flight? Or should I just embrace the layover and do something in the city?
London ON (YXU) to Toronto they offered to put me standby on an earlier flight. No charge.

Air Canada happily rerouted me when my YYZ yo YQY flight was cancelled (rebooked to the night flight the next day). They rerouted me for the 8am flight to Halifax then connecting to Sydney.

On a comfort fare they rerouted me on a direct Toronto to Sydney flight as opposed to a later connection in Halifax.

Best thing you can do is smile with open body language and be willing to accept them not bending the rules.

Depending on the fare there could be a charge. My folks paid $75 each on a rewards ticket which eliminated about 10 hours of travel time.

If there is room, they will move you. Check your fare rules and above all else be polite and friendly.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #2104
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Waited 50min on the runway for a gate crew on Westjet tonight.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #2105
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Train runs from the airport to downtown.

So I’d do something in Sanfranciso. Even allowing for transit each way plus arriving 2hrs early for your flight you still have 6hrs of activity time.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #2106
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

50 minutes on the runway? That must have drove ATC nuts.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #2107
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Not surprising. Unfortunately the evening ground ops for Westjet are significantly under staffed. During irregular operations there are no contigency plans in place so it is basically just a case of "get there when you can" for the crews. This isn't acceptable as it pisses off passengers, flight and cabin crews and ground crews but until management and the leadership group decide to invest in the operation it is going to continue to happenm
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #2108
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

WestJet is unveiling it's new Dreamliner tomorrow.

https://calgarysun.com/business/loca...b-66a8be7f37fe
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #2109
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada has finalized fleet plans while the 737 MAX's are grounded, here is what happens on some of the YYC flights:

YVR- One flight cancelled, one flight operated by a CRJ-900. New total of 11 daily flts.
CUN- 3 weekly flights continue to operate, now with the 767-300
OGG- 4 weekly flights continue to operate, now with the 767-300
PSP- seasonal flights ending early, April 2, 3, & 22 flights will operate with the A319
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #2110
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #2111
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeeze, lots of empty seats on the YYC-OGG direct now. You're either going to get a great deal, or a row to yourself right now...

Both outcomes are better than the Min-8 I took there 3 weeks ago...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #2112
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

42 more seats with the flight getting bumped back up to the 763.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #2113
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

British Airways service to London starting up again on March 31st, will be nice to have Speedbird back in town. Service with the 787-8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #2114
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wondering if anyone can offer advice or clarity.

Booked a flight a few months ago. Domestic, only about an hour flight. WestJet.

Get an email this morning saying it’s cancelled and they’ve rebooked me on a different day on one of those crazy flights that’s like 12 hours with 2 stops with layovers all to fly a few hundred km. Needless to say this flight is neither convenient nor am I ok with changing my departure date.

And that’s ridiculous but whatever I’ll just call WJ and rebook the flight or get a credit, no big deal I’m flexible.

But basically they’ve said this is your new flight, take it or leave it and if you change anything we’re charging you the cancelation/change fee.

What the heck? Is this correct? Do I have any options? This kind of bait and switch can’t possibly be legal can it?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-24-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #2115
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Westjet tried that once a couple years ago, I was flying to Halifax and booked a non stop flight that they changed to a non-direct (layover in Toronto). I said I won't be flying to Toronto and they'd have to find another non-stop flight. It took a while but they eventually booked me on a non-stop and also gave a $50 credit. I don't know what the laws are on this but they can make the change if they want to
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #2116
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wondering if anyone can offer advice or clarity.

Booked a flight a few months ago. Domestic, only about an hour flight. WestJet.

Get an email this morning saying it’s cancelled and they’ve rebooked me on a different day on one of those crazy flights that’s like 12 hours with 2 stops with layovers all to fly a few hundred km. Needless to say this flight is neither convenient nor am I ok with changing my departure date.

And that’s ridiculous but whatever I’ll just call WJ and rebook the flight or get a credit, no big deal I’m flexible.

But basically they’ve said this is your new flight, take it or leave it and if you change anything we’re charging you the cancelation/change fee.

What the heck? Is this legal? Do I have any options? This kind of bait and switch can’t possibly be legal can it?

I would call back, see if anyone else can help in a more constructive way. They are having to rebuild the network with the Max's being grounded, so the usual re-booking process is probably compounded tenfold. But that does sound excessive.

Also, are you exaggerating a bit? Because your vague description if taken literally sounds like you booked to Vancouver, but were rebooked to fly to Toronto, then Edmonton, then Vancouver.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #2117
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Those are definitely not the exact flight details I posted. I didn’t book the flight.

They’ve apparently offered to put me on a direct flight the night before but my travel companion on a different flight the next day.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #2118
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know why you're hesitating to give more specifics. I could maybe give more context, with knowledge of the route network.

But thats fine. If its as excessive as you say, calling back to speak to a different agent may be useful.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #2119
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I don't know why you're hesitating to give more specifics. I could maybe give more context, with knowledge of the route network.

But thats fine. If its as excessive as you say, calling back to speak to a different agent may be useful.
I’m not sure what you mean. I’m not looking for specifics or context on why they did it. I was just curious if anyone knew more about WJ’s policy on this sort of thing. I could get you all the flight details but I’m not sure how that would help.

I imagine it’s SOP to just put everyone on a new flight and figure it out when they call to fix it. I was surprised though that it sounds like WJ was holding firm on the auto rebooking.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #2120
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give them a call. If you don’t like the answer given, call again. Dealing with WJA is like dealing with Robelus.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc