Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default The Athletic Duha: Dechipering the evolving trade market

from Duha's latest article on the Athletic (paywall)

https://theathletic.com/820520/2019/...ic-than-usual/

some details of the Cammalleri non-trade. apparently Burke was asking for a 1st and 2 assets and then dropped the price to just a 2nd the night before (don't think the exact ask was reported before)

Quote:
“The key that year was Ryan Kesler – he held up the trade deadline until the night before,” said Burke. “At that point, I said to our guys, ‘OK, we’re not getting what we want for Cammalleri,’ so we dropped our price once on Cammalleri, but when we didn’t get the lower price, we said no. We got one ####ty offer, and I said, ‘this organization is better off having a reputation for not making bad deals’ than just getting rid of a guy

Duha also speculated what a sign and trade for Stone might look like for the Flames.

He came up with a 1st, Frolik, Mangipane and Kylington using the Karlsson deal as a template.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-15-2019 at 07:38 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

some details of the Cammalleri non-trade. apparently Burke was asking for a 1st and 2 assets and then dropped the price to a 2nd (don't think this was reported before)

Duha also speculated what a sign and trade for Stone might look like for the Flames.

He came up with a 1st, Frolik, Mangipane and Kylington using the Karlsson deal as a template.
With an extension? I would do that in a heartbeat.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

some details of the Cammalleri non-trade. apparently Burke was asking for a 1st and 2 assets and then dropped the price to a 2nd (don't think this was reported before)

Done
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a signed Stone, I’d be willing to pay more, and would expect Ottawa to want more

Replace eat bread with something better would be the minimum I’d expect Ottawa to want
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah two of those assets (Frolik and Mangiapane) are worth very little IMO. A late first and a good prospect doesn’t seem like enough.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

Funny, I was suggesting a trade for an unsigned Stone could look like our 1st, conditional 2nd (if he re-signs), Frolik, and a prospect not named Dube or Valimaki.

Though I agree, if we're talking a sign and trade the price goes up significantly.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not worth it if it's rental only.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not worth it if it's rental only.

Obviously the key part of that is the "signing" and for how much.

I still think its a looongshot to happen.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

some details of the Cammalleri non-trade. apparently Burke was asking for a 1st and 2 assets and then dropped the price to just a 2nd the night before (don't think the exact ask was reported before)

Yes please!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why all this sign and trade talk as far as the mechanism in this situation?

IIRC The sign and trade in basketball is a thing because they have the rules that teams that drafted those players can sign that player for a year longer and more money then another team could, which is why the signing is done by the current team, before the trade of that player to a new team, so the player gets more money and the new team gets a longer term then if that new team just signed the player as a UFA.

NHL doesn't have that stipulation, thus no advantage. If any team like the Flames wanted to extend Stone, they would want to be the ones to do the contract extensions, not leave it in the hands of the Sens. If the Flames are granted permission pre trade as part of the process in talking extending Stone (which they'd want to be a part of) why not negotiate the contract, make the trade and then sign the extension after the trade?

Its semantics I guess, but I can't see the Sens giving Stone some contract without the team or teams looking to trade for him, being fully part of the terms of that contract.

As for Duhas return, I think that looks a bit light. My guess is Sens would want Bennett as part of a package for an extended Stone.

Last edited by browna; 02-15-2019 at 08:12 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the rule on a 7 year vs 8 year contract? Under contract by trade deadline?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Why all this sign and trade talk as far as the mechanism in this situation?

IIRC The sign and trade in basketball is a thing because they have the rules that teams that drafted those players can sign that player for a year longer and more money then another team could, which is why the signing is done by the current team, before the trade of that player to a new team, so the player gets more money and the new team gets a longer term then if that new team just signed the player as a UFA.

NHL doesn't have that stipulation, thus no advantage. If any team like the Flames wanted to extend Stone, they would want to be the ones to do the contract extensions, not leave it in the hands of the Sens. If the Flames are granted permission pre trade as part of the process in talking extending Stone (which they'd want to be a part of) why not negotiate the contract, make the trade and then sign the extension after the trade?

Its semantics I guess, but I can't see the Sens giving Stone some contract without the team or teams looking to trade for him, being fully part of the terms of that contract.

As for Duhas return, I think that looks a bit light. My guess is Sens would want Bennett as part of a package for an extended Stone.

Haven't ya heard?

Because he hasn't been traded that means he can't be traded...or he is untouchable....or something.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=9914
Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have a feeling mark stone is a flame by next week. There's been just the right amount of smoke for the wizqrd to do his work. Our first, a 4th that becomes a second if we make the conference finals or Stone re-signs and maybe Dube gets it done easily IMO.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not to derail, but Stone is 29 and i just having his first ever career year -- first ever PPG -- right now. I realize this goes against the grain but I don't want Calgary to be the one to give him $8 mln/yr for the next 6 years. He's only been a full time NHLer for 4 years.

That said I don't know the player at all. I see that he's huge. Does he play a physical game?
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #15
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Not to derail, but Stone is 29 and i just having his first ever career year -- first ever PPG -- right now. I realize this goes against the grain but I don't want Calgary to be the one to give him $8 mln/yr for the next 6 years. He's only been a full time NHLer for 4 years.

That said I don't know the player at all. I see that he's huge. Does he play a physical game?
Mark Stone is 26. He'll be 27 on May 13th.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #16
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Mark Stone is 26. He'll be 27 on May 13th.
My bad! Math is hard.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #17
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Not to derail, but Stone is 29 and i just having his first ever career year -- first ever PPG -- right now.

Second year being PPG actually. Last year he had 62 pts in 58 games.

Also as AC mentioned he is 26. He's not a mirage, he has had a similar career for Sens fans as Gaudreau has to us, although he's got a tendency to get injured.

Quote:
Yes, though I wouldn't call him a power forward in the Jamie Benn sense. He's a similar player to Matthew Tkachuk but less of a pest. IMO You could almost say he's a winger version of Ryan Getzlaf.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-15-2019 at 10:07 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #18
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Second year being PPG actually. Last year he had 62 pts in 58 games.

Also as AC mentioned he is 26. He's not a mirage, he has had a similar career for Sens fans as Gaudreau has to us, although he's got a tendency to get injured.

Yes, though I wouldn't call him a power forward in the Jamie Benn sense. He's a similar player to Matthew Tkachuk but less of a pest. IMO You could almost say he's a winger version of Ryan Getzlaf.
Since 2014-2015 Mark Stone also leads the league in takeaways with 466 in 341 games.

2. Jeff Skinner has 342 in 377 games
3. Ryan O'Reilly has 331 in 362 games
4. John Tavares has 313 in 376 games
5. Mikael Backlund has 301 in 350 games

He's considered a defensive beast in that regard at least, and also dangerous offensively. Though I was surprised to see he's never hit 30 goals in a season (he will finally this year by the looks of it).

Last edited by AC; 02-15-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #19
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also the flames up an in with his brother,so they probably know how much he will won't and if he would resign with the team if we traded 4 him.who knows maybe Michael has been talking up the flames 2 him ,
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #20
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yea, I have never heard of a sign and trade in the NHL, certainly not so quickly. It typically can happen after a period of dissatisfaction with player(Thomas Tatar from Detroit to Vegas). If Ottawa signs Stone they keep him.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote