Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #1181
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I think that it should be mentioned that the Flames do not own the seats. They manage the Saddledome, they don’t own it. If the seats are sold for a dollar or a thousand dollars that would effectively be a funding source for the city’s contribution.
However, they would have paid for the upgraded red seats and effectively donated them to the city?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #1182
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I assume this is answered in the full version of the article but I see limited if any parking at all... financially it wouldn't make sense but if you have a stadium, mid sized arena and whatever else in the mix, you would require more parking than the current Saddledome!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #1183
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
PBA does have a solid reputation. It’s likely a very preliminary concept that was never intended to be released publicly.
Yeah - I know James Scott there. Great guy, no doubt they are very capable. Indeed, not something that should have been put out there publicly.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #1184
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
However, they would have paid for the upgraded red seats and effectively donated them to the city?

IIRC when leasing, if you upgrade fixtures they become property of the building owner. In which case the answer would be yes. But the city/Saddledome Foundation paid for the 95 renovation that saw the original upgraded seats put in so it's more like the city donated them to the Flames anyway.

As a leasee, if you upgrade permanent fixtures and want to take it with you, you'd have to put the original back in or be on the hook for the cost of replacing it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #1185
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My experience of PBA was the exact opposite. Very friendly, but compared to other landlords they were disorganized. Basic paperwork (rent, leases) was often wrong and always late. They were cheap though, but often too cheap.

Doing a large mixed use development like the field house seems like an enormous stretch for them as well. It’s not their expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
PBA does have a solid reputation. It’s likely a very preliminary concept that was never intended to be released publicly.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #1186
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
IIRC when leasing, if you upgrade fixtures they become property of the building owner. In which case the answer would be yes. But the city/Saddledome Foundation paid for the 95 renovation that saw the original upgraded seats put in so it's more like the city donated them to the Flames anyway.

As a leasee, if you upgrade permanent fixtures and want to take it with you, you'd have to put the original back in or be on the hook for the cost of replacing it.
are you talking about the club seats in 95? majority of the lower bowl and the first few rows of the second bowl Olympic Legacy seats were replaced in about 2008 or so, the same time as our current scoreboard.

Last edited by RM14; 01-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #1187
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
are you talking about the club seats in 95? majority of the lower bowl and the first few rows of the second bowl Olympic Legacy seats were replaced in about 2008 or so, the same time as our current scoreboard.

I was talking about 95 because that was a city paid renovation. If they were changed after by the Flames/CSEC they'd still become property of the arena owner at the end of the lease.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #1188
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

My conversation with CMLC CEO Michael Brown (also on the Event Centre Assessment Committee) talking all things Arena/ Event Centre (including that controversy about its title), Victoria Park and East Village.

The arena focused stuff is more the back half of the 45 minutes - but I think the whole thing is good to provide context of the entire east side redevelopment endeavour. I hope you have a listen!!

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/01/...form=hootsuite
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #1189
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved hearing about the downtown East vs West divide! Very interesting!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #1190
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great episode, Bunk. Thank-you!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #1191
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

That McMahon area rendering is just bizarre. Not that I hate every idea, but it looks like something I could have drawn in sketchup in a couple of hours...and in so doing I think I would have at least realized some shortcomings like parking. The practice field and facility seem to really fight against the area's topography, too. Making a practice field with a few thousand seats for Dinos games and B-level soccer might be neat.

The 6500 seat arena makes me wonder if this wasn't actually just mocked up to relate to the Olympics, and make it seem like a there was at least an early proposal? I suppose anyone who has never seen Sketchup before might think it is more professional than it is?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #1192
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
My conversation with CMLC CEO Michael Brown (also on the Event Centre Assessment Committee) talking all things Arena/ Event Centre (including that controversy about its title), Victoria Park and East Village.

The arena focused stuff is more the back half of the 45 minutes - but I think the whole thing is good to provide context of the entire east side redevelopment endeavour. I hope you have a listen!!

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/01/...form=hootsuite
Great interview Bunk! The possibility of an arena in Victoria Park is more exciting to me after listening to this.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 PM   #1193
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still can’t buy into the ‘event centre’ argument myself. Seems to be causing more of a hurdle than anything. Internally call it an event centre if that’s what you want to plan for with all the benefits mentioned, but I still think it’s been detrimental to the process.

That said the talk of how major amenities of the arena should be ‘facing outward’ and the siding off of ‘celebration spaces’ does make me excited for why I was happy to have CMLC a part of this process in the first place. They are the big picture of how the arena is a part of a cultural district rather than a cultural district being put to serve an arena.

I was generally pro (city giving money to an) arena before CalgaryNEXT, then I became very anti-public lonely to an arena. If CMLC is at the helm I’m back closer to the former because I’m excited with what they could do with one.

Tl;dr pretty darn good interview.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #1194
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rick Bell column

Looks like Davison is starting to push for limited public engagement on any potential deal. "Call your councillor" is his solution. Which is kinda laughable given how much time and effort is burned up on public consultation on things like bike lanes which are 1% of the cost.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #1195
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Rick Bell column

Looks like Davison is starting to push for limited public engagement on any potential deal. "Call your councillor" is his solution. Which is kinda laughable given how much time and effort is burned up on public consultation on things like bike lanes which are 1% of the cost.
I can’t think of anything else in EV where CMLC has consulted the public, and the area is almost certainly better off becasue of it.

If any deal is a fair deal, CMLC shouldn’t be bound by public influence.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #1196
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Politicians are accountable in elections, typically get license to govern between those and make these kinds of decisions, don't see this as much different. Dunno much about cgy politics but here public debate only kicks in if they want to borrow a significant sum of money they don't already have on hand and they need to go through something called an alternate approval process, not sure if that will be the case here, hope not selfishly as a flames fan as it would be sure to attract lots of people campaigning against it, seems to be the norm with any public expenditure lately.

Glad to see there seems to be momentum building.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #1197
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://livewirecalgary.com/2019/02/...-coun-davison/

Calgary event centre proposal could come within next two months: Coun. Davison

Quote:
Calgarians could see a potential Calgary event centreproposal by early spring, according to the councillor leading the city’s eventcentre assessment committee.

Events Centre Assessment Committee chair, Ward 6 Coun. Jeff Davison, told LiveWire this week that his personal timeline to get a deal done with the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (CSEC) – owner of the Calgary Flames – would be within the next 60 days...
Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #1198
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best time within that window, from a PR perspective, is that nice little spot at the end of the regular season and before the playoffs start. People are excited for hockey, the media is hungry for it, and if both parties want a nice reception that's when I would expect to hear something. Or in that final week of the regular season.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #1199
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I can’t think of anything else in EV where CMLC has consulted the public, and the area is almost certainly better off becasue of it.

If any deal is a fair deal, CMLC shouldn’t be bound by public influence.
EV projects either have a definite ROI (even if it is via CRL) or genuine+accessible public benefits. I think there probably was plenty of consultation, and it was also a situation of transforming the seediest area of downtown (ie. pretty hard to argue with spending some money to do this, even if you aren't totally in favour of every detail).

Not sure what you mean by fair deal...the impossibility of defining 'fair' is the very crux of the issue. To be honest though, I'd probably trust CMLC in determining 'fairness' about as much as anyone
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #1200
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The best time within that window, from a PR perspective, is that nice little spot at the end of the regular season and before the playoffs start. People are excited for hockey, the media is hungry for it, and if both parties want a nice reception that's when I would expect to hear something. Or in that final week of the regular season.

And let's be completely honest here: everybody involved knows April 8-10 is the best window for the public pitch, too.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote