Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #581
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are all tougher than me. I get the convenience of free parking, so I don't ride colder than -15 either. Beats the #### out of this old body too much when I do try.

Last edited by habernac; 02-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #582
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been trying Rouvy with the smart trainer. It's kind of a like a cross between zwift and fulgaz. I like it. You can even ride the road to nepal, or the banff gran fondo route. I'm doing some rides in Mallorca because we are heading there this spring.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #583
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, first bail of the year. Sidestreet with a bit of slope, and cross slope. A new construction project started yesterday, and all their vehicle traffic polished it to a shine. I kinda noticed to late, and suddenly my front tire went right, and the bike tipped me left.

Fortunately the workers were sitting there in the truck facing me, so they had a nice view of my ego getting slammed. Unfortunately my ankle does not feel good. Will see what 25 advil and some scotch can do for it...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #584
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I’m not a doctor but if the 25 Advil and a scotch don't help, go with 25 scotch and an Advil.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #585
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ugh, first bail of the year. Sidestreet with a bit of slope, and cross slope. A new construction project started yesterday, and all their vehicle traffic polished it to a shine. I kinda noticed to late, and suddenly my front tire went right, and the bike tipped me left.

Fortunately the workers were sitting there in the truck facing me, so they had a nice view of my ego getting slammed. Unfortunately my ankle does not feel good. Will see what 25 advil and some scotch can do for it...

I had my first bail at the beginning of the month. In front of a long line of coworkers. I got cocky trying to turn on the outside of a three way stop and tail went out. Jammed my wrist, but everyone knows it’s me who rides in the cold.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #586
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally made it off the indoor bike and rode to work today for the first time since it went arctic on us. Actually wasn't terrible at all minus a couple of unplowed un trekked spots and kept warm (almost too warm at times) but I'd thank my layers for that. also its hard to breath through Buff Scarfs.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #587
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, the crashing part sucks. I'm not sure which is worse, crashing in front of a number of coworkers who probably already bug you about being crazy to ride in the winter, or crashing in the middle of nowhere. My crash was between Quarry Park and Carburn Park, 6:00 in the morning with no sign of anybody. Before I had a chance to take inventory of limbs I wondered how I'd get help if I needed to. Can 911 get your GPS from your cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
also its hard to breath through Buff Scarfs.
Bought one of these and absolutely love it:
https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/re...ie/pcid1298837

The part that covers your mouth is perfect for breathing through. Haven't had a chance to test it lower than -5 out yet; but I am optimistic.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #588
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I jumped on the trainer this morning to test my ankle, and it felt OK. Feels horrible walking. So I figured I was better no my bike! It was fine for the ride, the walk form the parknig garage hurt more. I guess I was born to ride.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #589
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for breathing through buffs, ya, that's no good, and tends to fog glasses. above -15 I keep my mouth just barely exposed. Below -15 I use a face mask, but I cut an opening to breath out of, as I was suffocating with the dinky little perforations. I find my mouth is fine exposed a little, and it makes breathing easier, which is nice.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #590
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
As for breathing through buffs, ya, that's no good, and tends to fog glasses. above -15 I keep my mouth just barely exposed. Below -15 I use a face mask, but I cut an opening to breath out of, as I was suffocating with the dinky little perforations. I find my mouth is fine exposed a little, and it makes breathing easier, which is nice.

Also to be a little clearer, It is one of the bandana style Buffs so there are 3 little holes for breathing but just could use a little more oxygen and a little less sauna/freeze happening.

In reality I should just use my natural buff (beard) but wanted to cover up everything as nose creek path is chilly in the mornings.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #591
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was at The Bike Shop this morning and the Ryder’s glasses are still 60% off. I picked up two pair for $55.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #592
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ which models?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #593
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it was nice to have some grip back with the fresh snow, but ugh, felt like a lot more effort today. I suspect the ride home is going to take a lot of energy, more than I like to expend on a Friday!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #594
kermitology

Exp:

I had enough with the cold, covering for my nanny who had her car break down, driving downtown to meet with people.. I rode today.

I'm happier already:
Spoiler!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #595
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All you people riding to work through the winter are amazing.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #596
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really not as big a deal as people make it out to be for 95% of the days. I was much more miserable waiting for a bus that was always late and took an hour to get home.

Dress correctly and it's fine. It's funny, some days I'll go for a walk at lunch in my work clothes, and I can't stand how cold it is. Just sucks. But then I get dressed proper for the ride, and I don't notice it at all.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #597
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think the term "Frost Biking" doesn't help the perception that cycling in the winter is normal. If we're looking to normalize commuting by bike in the winter, drop the special terms and just call it cycling.

Since I work from home and don't have a commute, it's tough to justify buying a new bike just to attempt to get 30km a day in. Especially in this weather. The trainer is getting a lot of use and I'm trying to mix up the rides by doing some races on Zwift to go along with structured workouts and group rides.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #598
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I think the term "Frost Biking" doesn't help the perception that cycling in the winter is normal. If we're looking to normalize commuting by bike in the winter, drop the special terms and just call it cycling.

Since I work from home and don't have a commute, it's tough to justify buying a new bike just to attempt to get 30km a day in. Especially in this weather. The trainer is getting a lot of use and I'm trying to mix up the rides by doing some races on Zwift to go along with structured workouts and group rides.
My only thought on frostbike is that it does take some special care and attention to ride properly on snow and ice. Knowing what the conditions are like and the level of difficulty is important. For example, if there's a tonne of loose pack, it's nearly impossible to ride through no matter what kind of bike you have.

I ride a cheap Diadora mountain bike I bought with a donation to Jumpstart what was one of our demo bikes.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #599
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what's going on with Shimano? Looking to pick up some Ultegra SPD-SL pedals for my new bike, and ProBike Kit has been out of just about all Shimano components since the beginning of January.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #600
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ not sure if this is connected, but it is my understanding that places like chain reaction are no longer permitted to sell shimano stuff in north america