Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Abducted in Plain Sight *SPOILERS*

Seems a few people wanted to discuss this without spoiling it for others, so don't read on if you want to watch it fresh. It's on Netflix.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was kind of amazing just how little the parents understood their actions facilitated everything this dillhole did. I wonder how much their region left them unable to deal with real world consequences for their actions?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was constantly like "wow thats pretty crazy, but they can't top that" boy was I surprised.

When the dad went on a drive with 'B' and mentioned what he did for him... I was just flabbergasted.

Read an article where they wish they had more of a chance to chat with the father but he passed away a few years ago.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't believe what the mom did AFTER the first abduction. Truly baffling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still think the mom still would be in love with the guy. Even in her interview she sounds like she would date him again if he asked. Now her daughters might have something to say this time, but it wouldn't shock me.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, she got this dreamy look in her eyes any time she talked about him.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I was constantly like "wow thats pretty crazy, but they can't top that" boy was I surprised.

When the dad went on a drive with 'B' and mentioned what he did for him... I was just flabbergasted.

Read an article where they wish they had more of a chance to chat with the father but he passed away a few years ago.

Me and the wife had to hit pause at this point. It was so utterly unbelievable.

He would have made one hell of a cult leader.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

That all was utterly WTF
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #9
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just watched it a couple of nights ago and for me the worst part was, after the first abduction the parents let this dude sleep with the daughter because"it was part of his therapy".
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This a show was something else. Hard to believe that guy could “seduce” (can’t think of another word right now”) the dad and the mom.

I could not help but wonder if it was real.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The family in this doc were some aggravatingly dumb hicks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #12
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not the first documentary that alluded to the 60s and 70s being a fairly naive era. I was born in the 80s so I missed all that, but perhaps given the era and where they lived it played into how innocent they were. I really can't think of anything like this happening in North America in modern day with education being what it is. You really hope the family found some peace with their series of mistakes costing their innocence of their child.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #13
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The family in this doc were some aggravatingly dumb hicks.
That wasn’t my take. If they were some dumb ass trailer trash, it wouldn’t be a thing. These people were middle class seemingly decent folks. How this #### went completely off the rails is what is so mind blowing.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
I still think the mom still would be in love with the guy. Even in her interview she sounds like she would date him again if he asked. Now her daughters might have something to say this time, but it wouldn't shock me.
When in front of a camera, people always try to save face and make it seem like they did more in situations like this. Yet the recording of the mother on a call with B, after the guy had already kidnapped and repeatedly raped her daughter- “Oh Hi B”!!!.

B’s brother, knowing he was pedophile that had kidnapped a 12 yo, yet brings him on to work in his car dealership... yet presents himself in the doc as some hero.

The adults, at the time, clearly did not have the level of disdain for the guy that they now suggest. I personally find the father the most abhorrent. Nothing wrong with being meek and mild mannered, but doesnt mean you should be a spineless coward.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 02-17-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
That wasn’t my take. If they were some dumb ass trailer trash, it wouldn’t be a thing. These people were middle class seemingly decent folks. How this #### went completely off the rails is what is so mind blowing.
One of the major things that got me, honestly, was how, after abducting their daughter the first time and marrying her in Mexico.....the family kept talking to him!

I didnt know what to think until the very end where the victim and her mom are crying and shilling their book and etc, etc. while not taking any responsibility for their own parts in the entire thing.

The guy was a manipulator. Sure. "Master Manipulator?" Oh...I wouldnt go that far.

That family, all of them, were just gullible as all hell.

I felt so bad for the FBI operative who, on a couple of occasions just shook his head because they had the guy dead to rights and could have tossed his ass in jail forever but the mom and dad just kept letting this idiot off the hook.

And yet they never accepted any personal responsibility for that.

I mean, this is even pre-internet!

So gave the guy a handy in his car. Did he tape it or something? No? Lie. I know its against your faith but you know what else is against your faith? Giving randos handies but you did that.

I seriously cant believe that he used getting a handjob in a car to drop the charges for abducting a child and absconding with her to Mexico to marry her.

I think at that point the Government should have stepped in and said: "Yeah, one is not equivalent to the other and you dont seem like competent parents if you're willing to make this deal so your rights to decide are hereby revoked....oh...and lets add Blackmail to the list of charges and toss this guy in jail forever."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
"I hate my wife and I need relief!"

- I'm hearing a whole lot of "not my problem."

Not to mention...."let's go for a drive" is like the grownup equivalent of taking Old Yeller out back...you know its not going to end well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #18
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Me and the wife had to hit pause at this point. It was so utterly unbelievable.

He would have made one hell of a cult leader.
I too paused at that point. I then went back 10 seconds and listened to it again.

I feel bad for those people but good lord, how out to lunch do you have to be to not see those red flags?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote