Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #261
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I hear awesome things about the Mate 20 Pro but just can't pull the trigger with them being all over the news right now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #262
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm still pretty stoked about the S10 announcement next Wednesday. At the very least, don't buy a phone until that one launches as every other phone will go on sale to compete.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #263
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

what's there to get excited about this time? bigger/brighter/higher resolution screen? faster processor? better camera?

I've stopped even paying attention to hardware. it's like during the era of Super NES, Genesis, 3DO, Jaguar etc, where they tried to make it about the number of bits the processor was. it's the same thing now...hardware barely matters now compared to what the software can do.

Google's recent work in computational photography (e.g. Night Sight), AR navigation, AI call screening, etc. are so much more exciting than the latest Snapdragon chip. and it's stuff that will improve the smartphone experience for more than just those with this year's latest hardware release.

if Samsung comes out and announces that Bixby will now automatically know what I feel like for dinner and order it so it arrives exactly as I come home from work, then I'll be intrigued. privacy be damned, I want my life to be made easier by technology, and the shiny smartphone by itself isn't going to be enough.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #264
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Man I hear awesome things about the Mate 20 Pro but just can't pull the trigger with them being all over the news right now
I can get over the U.S paranoia for such an amazing device. This thing is pretty awesome.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #265
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumour is Google is working on a less flagship oriented phone, realizing Apples upscale strategy is alienating customers. So that's what i'm interested in, a 5" vanilla Google phone for $300. It can't be that hard.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #266
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
what's there to get excited about this time? bigger/brighter/higher resolution screen? faster processor? better camera?

I've stopped even paying attention to hardware. it's like during the era of Super NES, Genesis, 3DO, Jaguar etc, where they tried to make it about the number of bits the processor was. it's the same thing now...hardware barely matters now compared to what the software can do.

Google's recent work in computational photography (e.g. Night Sight), AR navigation, AI call screening, etc. are so much more exciting than the latest Snapdragon chip. and it's stuff that will improve the smartphone experience for more than just those with this year's latest hardware release.

if Samsung comes out and announces that Bixby will now automatically know what I feel like for dinner and order it so it arrives exactly as I come home from work, then I'll be intrigued. privacy be damned, I want my life to be made easier by technology, and the shiny smartphone by itself isn't going to be enough.
Fair question. I think this is the first phone from Samsung in several generations that has any meaningful changes. The S8 looked different from the S7, but functionally was the same. The S9 was exactly the same as an S8 so was a non-starter.

Based on fairly reliable rumors, the S10 has some changes that make it markedly better than my current S7, and better than any of the competitors. Retaining the headphone jack is important to me, so that's there (not a change from current Galaxy phones, but a contrast to many competitors). Fingerprint sensor has moved back to the front, which I prefer over the rear fingerprint sensor the S8 & S9 had. Additionally, the fingerprint sensor will be underneath the glass/screen, so that's a cool piece of tech that is new.

I think the three cameras on the back shouldn't be downplayed. What is there, a normal, a telephoto and a wide angle? That's cool because for me and a lot of people a cell phone is their only camera. Having these multiple cameras is fantastic.

Reverse Qi charging is cool for me, too. I have the 2018 Icon X ear buds and will get the new Icon X ear buds (rumour has it they may be free with pre-order purchase of an S10). It's cool that you can put the ear buds case on the phone and it will charge them.

It will have front facing speakers (I've read). Not sure if the S9 has those, but my S7 doesn't. I had them on my Sony Experia and loved them, so it's going to be great having those again, so that's an improvement.

Finally, it will have all the usual upgrades (faster processor, bigger battery, nicer screen) as well as its own night bright type camera thing.

I was hoping for something that would knock my socks off, but it doesn't look like any of the manufacturers will have that this year, so maybe on my next upgrade. I don't see any phones out there better than the S10, so it makes it an easy choice for me - these changes are at least cool and I'll use them all, versus stupid emojis or something dumb like that.

My dream is still flip phone-sized phone that opens into either one or two screens, but is really small in my pocket. Seems like we'll be one step closer with the Galaxy F, but I don't need a Note-sized phone that folds into a tablet - I don't like tablets at all. I want a super small phone that flips into a Note-sized phone.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #267
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

S10 launch video leaked ahead of tomorrow's official announcement. Looks like bluetooth buds will be free with pre-order between February 20 and March 7 (hopefully in Canada).

Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #268
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Rumour is Google is working on a less flagship oriented phone, realizing Apples upscale strategy is alienating customers. So that's what i'm interested in, a 5" vanilla Google phone for $300. It can't be that hard.
Some great android phones available in that price range. Android one phones even.
Some are north American. Some from overseas, but with international versions that work on NA bands
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #269
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm still pretty stoked about the S10 announcement next Wednesday. At the very least, don't buy a phone until that one launches as every other phone will go on sale to compete.
Xiaomi mi 9 will be basically the same phone, (with out all the crappy Samsung bloatware) and probably about half the price.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #270
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Xiaomi mi 9 will be basically the same phone, (with out all the crappy Samsung bloatware) and probably about half the price.
how quickly and how many of the major Android version upgrades will the mi 9 get post-launch, compared to the S10?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #271
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
People's aversion to Samsung bloatware is overblown IMO. No 3.5mm jack and crappier cameras sort of sucks. S10 is better for those two reasons alone, although no shame in the mi 9. Seems like it'll be a good phone, just not the best.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #272
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The S10e looks surprisingly good.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-20-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #273
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.wired.com/story/samsung-...fold-revealed/
Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #274
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

12 gigs ram with 6 cameras and 2 batteries!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #275
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

$1980USD.. that's $2600 Canadian!

Ouch.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #276
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But it folds!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #277
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure you can get it for $500 with Rogers......
with a 10 year plan that is over $125/month!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #278
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mortgage payment, property taxes and utilities for the month or a new fold-able phone ... decisions decisions.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #279
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the fold-able phone was better looking than anticipated. It looks like they thought it out alright. The presenters were an odd choice but the phone/tablet itself looks pretty good. The software being buggy is predictable at this point but once it comes out it should be fine. For that price, it better have more than just internal specs - better have the best camera for a smartphone as well. Really is ultra premium pricing and I'm not sure when I'm deciding between a phone and a really nice tablet if I'll pay the premium just for the all in one when I can get two separate devices that'll independently do the job better. For it to be mass adopted, I'd think $500 needs to be shaved off, but with no competition right now, perhaps they just want that quick cash from early adopters. A product like this probably means they'll be the sole benefactor for a couple years before a company like Apple copies, so it'll be interesting to see how far this goes before the price drops.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #280
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Pre-ordered the S10 so I could get the free Galaxy Buds that charge by sitting on the phone. Apparently it'll ship out on March 8, so I should have it by the 11th or 12th I would think.