Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #61
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was somewhat jealous of my friends who had the Sega Genesis as I only had a Nintendo. It wasn't a strong feeling of jealousy though as video games weren't that important to me but what made me really jealous was when my friend's family got a computer. It just seemed so cool and I really wanted one. At that time computers were pretty useless though as there was no internet, games were pretty slow and crappy and we actually used it quite a bit for looking at Encyclopedia Britannica. I was jealous that they had the opportunity to type up reports while I was still hand writing things.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #62
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Dude. What kind of parent goes to Disneyland, tells their kid about it, but doesn't actually take their kid? Are you sure that your parents didn't just make this up as some kind of punishment?

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that, deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting late.

Jack Handey
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #63
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still vividly remember a cold winter morning in 90/91 when a kid on my team walked into the dressing room with this.

He stood in the middle of the dressing room and everyone went up and was able to touch it and hold it with complete and utter jealousy and admiration.

Funny thing is, I still remember the kids name. I dont think he scored a goal all year. LOL.

Spoiler!

Last edited by dubc80; 02-25-2021 at 01:26 PM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #64
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post

i still have that!!! it's in my 'transformers box' in the crawl space. just waiting for my little guy to get a little older to get into transformers!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #65
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, for a few years I had the least amount of money compared to any of my friends and that sucked. Now, when I take my daughter and her friends to the mall I always give all of them $20 because I know her friends aren't as well off and I want them to be able to enjoy themselves and buy a little something and grab lunch, too.
This is ####ing great.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #66
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trampoline.
SNES (I only had Sega)
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #67
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Any friend that had the G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier.

LOL:

"Comics Alliance referred to it in retrospect as the "ultimate playset" which represented to a child "no better way to gain false friendship and genuine jealousy"
G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier. I had one friend who had it. He and his brother had to share a room... instead of two bedrooms they shared one and had a toy room so the carrier could have a place to sit in the house and not be in the way, because there was no putting that thing away.

That was about the only thing I was jealous of. I made my own out of cardboard boxes... it was super lame.

I'm an only child and my dad was doing quite well so I normally got anything I wanted. If my parents wouldn't get me something, I could get my uncle to buy it. I think I was the kid who people were jealous of.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #68
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first it was Transformers figures, then TMNT figures. Then in the 90's, it was the SNES. My parents were like, we spent all this money on your NES, we are NOT buying you another game console.

I remember my first job at the Stampede as a teen went towards buying a Playstation 1 and Final Fantasy 7. I've pretty much bought every console since then because I like collecting consoles.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 02-25-2021 at 10:37 PM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #69
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
this was my answer too- I was pretty spoiled I had a lot of stuff. but not the Milennium falcon or the Deathstar. had to go to Johnny's for those
I didn't have much but I had a Milennium Falcon. Hands down it is the best present I've ever received. My Dad got a lot of extra goodwill out of me for that gift.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #70
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude. What kind of parent goes to Disneyland, tells their kid about it, but doesn't actually take their kid? Are you sure that your parents didn't just make this up as some kind of punishment?
I still have a some of the pictures they took, and they also brought back souvenirs. I got one of those souvenir pennants that used to be popular back in the day. and they also brought back some little jars of jam from Knotts berry farm.

trust me, I can see in my head right now the picture of my dad standing next to a cylon.

seriously. they did that.

on a less serious note, I was jealous of the guy I knew who had an intellivision game system.
I was so happy when I got to play the baseball game.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #71
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
At first it was Transformers figures, then TMNT figures. Then in the 90's, it was the SNES. My parents were like, we spent all this money on your SNES, we are NOT buying you another game console.
Oh that reminds me of another one, I had a buddy that had the TMNT Blimp. That thing was cool.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #72
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cool 14yr olds who had their learner licenses had these to zip around on in Jr High:

Me - I had a bus pass and rode the loser cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Any friend that had the G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier.
I set eyes on this Aircraft Carrier for the 1st time ever at Cherry Bomb in Victoria and it was like seeing a unicorn....I was gobsmacked. Saw it countless times in catalogs but no one I knew had one. Amazing.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 02-25-2021 at 02:54 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #73
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, the going to Saskatchewan was the punishment part.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #74
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids with big name skateboards: Vision Gators, Tony Hawks, Hosoi's. And all the brand name parts that went along with that.

I had a Variflex skateboard from Sport Check. It was not cool in the least.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #75
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Kids with big name skateboards: Vision Gators, Tony Hawks, Hosoi's. And all the brand name parts that went along with that.

I had a Variflex skateboard from Sport Check. It was not cool in the least.
Bet it had some sweet plastic rails, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #76
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Bet it had some sweet plastic rails, though.
I had a crappy deck, but I outfit it with some sweet neon green rails for all the grinding I did...not do.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #77
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Most mentioned in this thread....

- The full set of Transformer Constructicons.... Devastator was a thing of beauty when fully assembled.

- A Trabampoline.

- Kids with pools, seemed so rich. I didn't even like swimming but I still wanted one.

- Cooper XL7 helmets were a must have... until everyone decided they sucked, that's of course when I finally got one because they were half price, and I no longer wanted it.

The biggest one for me, was one of those gas tank pedal bikes with full suspension. They weighed like 60 pounds, but looked awesome. I won that one though, because when I got a Diamond Back Pacer 500 when I was 10, I went from wanting a kinda neat but impractical bike, to having pretty much the Ferrari of BMX bikes for it's day. It was my most prized possession as a kid, and the day my dad surprised me with it has never been equaled with anything.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #78
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
- Cooper XL7 helmets were a must have... until everyone decided they sucked, that's of course when I finally got one because they were half price, and I no longer wanted it.

haha . throw in cooperalls
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #79
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had a crappy deck, but I outfit it with some sweet neon green rails for all the grinding I did...not do.
Poser!
Old 02-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #80
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Poser!
Oh, absolutely. I had zero skills, and hurt myself every time I tried. Of course my brother got a Santa Cruz deck, I got some no name POS. So I blame my failures on that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote