Exp:

Link
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #22
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spot gas hit like $900/MMBtu, there's no way a power producer can absorb that.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/m...ket-off-kilter

Texas gas balance went from 6Bcf/d to -6bcf/d, pretty insane numbers.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
About 10ish years ago I worked with a guy who went down to Houston for a sales trip and they had a little snow fall while he was there. He was telling me how crazy it got during this "storm". There was enough snow to just coat things, you could still see the grass through it, but it was enough to send the city into chaos. Cars were sliding all over the roads, people were scared to go out etc. He said the main reason was because they were not used to this so many people had next to bald tires and the little bit of snow was enough to cause havok. Just crazy from our perspective but that's Texas.
I remember reading about how their asphalt or something is different from ours and it makes the roads way slipperier in these conditions than what we see here. Like oils on the road come to the surface or something? I'm sure there's a struggle factor as well, but I think there are some physical things going on we don't normally see here exacerbating the poor driving conditions.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #24
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I remember reading about how their asphalt or something is different from ours and it makes the roads way slipperier in these conditions than what we see here. Like oils on the road come to the surface or something? I'm sure there's a struggle factor as well, but I think there are some physical things going on we don't normally see here exacerbating the poor driving conditions.
In places that get very little precipitation, the oils from vehicles and such build up on roads over time. Even a bit of rain can suddenly make a freeway a skating rink. I can imagine the same thing happening here, and then compounded by the snow and ice.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #25
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texas vents or flares about 1 Bcf/d.

If my math is right 1Bcf/d is 1,000,000MMBtu so $900*1,000,000=$Yikes!
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #26
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The asphalt binder (bitumen/tar) in the southern US is "harder" than up here, we need a more pliable road because of the freeze/thaw cycles. They have a much stiffer road to deal with the heat I am guessing. Not 100% sure how that impacts grip in snow, but it is a different product for sure.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #27
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Isn't this a bit of a unfair comparison? We might be fairly deregulated and "the same" as Texas in that sense, but we didn't disconnect ourselves from the larger grid like Texas did.

Texas has a handful (I think 5) of DC tie lines that connect to other jurisdictions.

This is similar to Alberta with our three interties.

It is true that both Alberta and Texas are poorly connected to their neighbors relative to the average internal loading.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1362045027942342661

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #29
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I lived in the South for over a decade and the truth is that even trace amounts of snow really can cripple the roadways. We used to get a good blast of winter once or twice a year.

No idea on the differences between their asphalt composition and ours but there are some other reasons.

Tires being the main one. No one uses winter tires down there. All seasons are pretty much the best they do for changing driving conditions.

Also they just dont get the opportunity to drive on snow/ice very often so the experience factor is huge. Hard to learn on bad roads when you rarely see them.

And those mentioning infrastructure are bang on. Most jurisdictions dont have a bunch of snow removal equipment/sanders etc because its just not economical to do so. Its why they close schools etc...they just cannot do a lot to help the safety of school buses and similar transportation types. I remember one truly bad storm came through which stopped all traffic on major interstates never mind local roadways. People were trapped in their vehicles for up to 40 hours. Locals who had vehicles that could get through deep snow(snowmoblies/atv's/off road 4X4's etc)...banded together and took blankets, food and gas up and down I-40 to those in need. It was pretty neat to see actually.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #30
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unreal for a politician to say this to his constituency. Colorado City, Tx Mayor tells people what real capitalism is.

This "mayor" has since resigned and his wife got fired as well.
Go Fund me to come?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Living in Texas a skiff of snow is a call for the national guard, the shutting down of roads and schools.

We had a un seasonal weather drop to the equivalent of -5 here and it lasted for a couple of days when I lived there and people were hording water, Meanwhile we were still sitting in the hot tub in our apartment complex and walking around in light coats.

The roads at that time would crack due to the differences in asphalt, pipes in the ground would burst because they weren't insulated.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #32
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Unreal for a politician to say this to his constituency. Colorado City, Tx Mayor tells people what real capitalism is.

Go Fund me to come?
I'd be willing to bet this guy starts a lot of statements with "Now I'm a Christian..."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #33
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Follow up

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-lazy.html
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Go Fund me to come?
Wowza. That's some true leadership right there. Just what you look for in a politician, when crisis strikes, for a guy to go "You guys figure it out, what do you think I am, the mayor or something?"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
The asphalt binder (bitumen/tar) in the southern US is "harder" than up here, we need a more pliable road because of the freeze/thaw cycles. They have a much stiffer road to deal with the heat I am guessing. Not 100% sure how that impacts grip in snow, but it is a different product for sure.
They also use concrete on many / most roads rather than asphalt.

Also an interesting phenomenon in Dallas.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...s-near-dallas/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #36
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Texas has a handful (I think 5) of DC tie lines that connect to other jurisdictions.

This is similar to Alberta with our three interties.

It is true that both Alberta and Texas are poorly connected to their neighbors relative to the average internal loading.
So, note that I am talking out of my @ss before you read this next statement ...

But I thought as short as 10 years ago about 50% of our power came from BC, when they had peak supply with Hydro, and then vice versa, 50% of BC power came from AB 'dirty' coal when they had low supply with Hydro.

Is this approx true, and if so, how could we be considered as poorly connected as Texas with so much power transfer between AB and BC?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #37
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Go Fund me to come?
Wow, this reads like satire.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #38
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Go Fund me to come?
I'd take him at his word, take my gun and go kill and eat him and his wife (somehow I'm guessing they ain't thin) and warm myself by burning his house, only the strong survive all that meek stuff Jeebus went on about's godless communism!!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #39
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I always have to laugh when they say things like "Arctic air from Canada", especially when they are in Texas. There is a lot of real estate between Canada and Texas.

Also, it came from Alaska first, so there!
Old 02-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #40
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
So, note that I am talking out of my @ss before you read this next statement ...

But I thought as short as 10 years ago about 50% of our power came from BC, when they had peak supply with Hydro, and then vice versa, 50% of BC power came from AB 'dirty' coal when they had low supply with Hydro.

Is this approx true, and if so, how could we be considered as poorly connected as Texas with so much power transfer between AB and BC?
The AB/BC intertie has a capacity of about 1,000 MW give or take, depending on system conditions. Total installed generation is in Alberta is around 16,000 MW.