Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #1361
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Do you have a source for this? Most polls I've seen on the topic suggest otherwise.
That's because you look superficially at the poll numbers and not the data. As nfotiu states most Americans prefer their personal insurance and are against M4A if it means giving up your existing coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The polls are complicated. If you ask "Are you in favor of medicare 4 all?" It is strongly supported. If the question is "Are you in favor of medicare 4 all if it means losing your private health care?" then it is overwhelmingly against it. That's basically what New Era is saying in point 2.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...healthcare-for

I'm personally moderately in favor of Medicare 4 all, but it always seemed like a big mistake to run on that platform in this election. It would have been easy to fear monger against. I also don't agree with New Era that it is terrible. I don't know what it is like where he lives, but here, almost every Dr and hospital is in one of 3 major health systems, and they all take medicare for all, and most seniors I know are pretty happy with it. Medicaid is terrible usually for finding providers, but has gotten better recently.
Fair comments but would like to point out some errors in what you are saying. Virginia is actually one of the worst states in the country for doctors accepting medicare/medicaid. 22.2% of physicians do not accept patients with that coverage. Worse, physicians that do are choosing not to accept new patients with that coverage. So the pool is getting smaller, not larger, because medicare is a grossly flawed system.

I get to hear all the stories of the healthcare insurance nightmares as I purchased in a retirement community preparing for the obvious next stage in my life. The complaints about medicare are long and numerous. The system doesn't X, but covers Y. You don't get coverage for treatment A unless you carry supplemental for treatment B. You have to commit to level 3 when you first enroll or face penalties for increased coverage downstream as your health needs change. Because of how poorly medicare is constructed and funded you have to carry supplemental, which is expensive. Looking into it, $1,200 a month for a retired couple to get reasonable coverage, and I'm not talking the Rolls Royce coverage, just that you would get in Canada. That's a big chunk of change for people on a fixed income.

Quote:
A phased in Medicare 4 all is probably the best move forward. Go with a public option and make people like it, and it will be an easier sell to get people off their employer plans.
For that to work there needs to be similar services across the plans. Medicare is so poorly put together it detracts people from the plan. They need to fix the inadequacies in the system before trying to push it as a replacement for anything.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #1362
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

US bombing Syria 36 days into Biden admin. Once again, military intelligence, msm, washington think tanks and the executive branch stand hand in had to remind us war is good and we always need more of it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...itias-n1258912
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #1363
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPAC is going on and if you though it'd just be a Trump cult meeting, well....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365141354960084994
Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #1364
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
US bombing Syria 36 days into Biden admin. Once again, military intelligence, msm, washington think tanks and the executive branch stand hand in had to remind us war is good and we always need more of it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...itias-n1258912
Not everyone is happy about it. Back to brunch, indeed. Omar quote tweeting Jen Psaki's response to Trump doing the same from 2017.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365150215708299271
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #1365
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Worry not socially liberal fiscal conservatives, the senate parliamentarian has ruled the $15 minimum wage hike cannot be included in the stimulus bill and now it should pass easily. Sure some people who aren’t on skid row are going to get $1400 but no system is perfect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #1366
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Worry not socially liberal fiscal conservatives, the senate parliamentarian has ruled the $15 minimum wage hike cannot be included in the stimulus bill and now it should pass easily. Sure some people who aren’t on skid row are going to get $1400 but no system is perfect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is where you tip your cap to the Repubs though. I'm pretty sure in the past they have fired the parliamentarian when they ruled against something they want. Dems don't have the heart to do it.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #1367
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This is where you tip your cap to the Repubs though. I'm pretty sure in the past they have fired the parliamentarian when they ruled against something they want. Dems don't have the heart to do it.
Oh no the moderate majority Dems wanted this. Gives them their out. “Welp we tried but it’s just not allowed, rules are rules yknow? Our hands are tied sorry.”
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #1368
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I get that conservatives have shown they are not honest actors. But I still think the dems need to accept the L and keep moving. If they want to work on the minimum wage, they will have to find a few republicans that will compromise or hope that in future elections they have enough of a majority to do it themselves. This is what working democracy looks like. That as much as I might want something to pass, that if I don't have the necessary support, then so be it.

And then your political play is either you show without a doubt that republicans werent honest and convince voters if they are for certain policies they need to vote them out; or you come off as bad negotiators and lose support in the next election for a failure to negotiate well. It is up to the dems not to make sure they come out looking like the good guys if they want to get this done. Not fire everyone who disagrees with you. We saw 4 years of that, and that is not good governance.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #1369
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But Dems just never learn. As the ancient Springfield proverb goes "You don't win friends with salad". Dems thinking people are going to like them or support them for doing the procedurally correct thing are out to lunch. The GOP can #### on democracy every chance they get and still conjure up the votes to control all three branches. It's ugly how they get #### done, but you gotta respect the hustle because they do, in fact, get #### done. Dems thinking half-assing it (or is it like quarter-assing?) is a winning play as that approach continues to lose is just pathetic.

Remember when the Dems negotiated for health care under Obama? That sure helped them in the next election. Defeating the GOP long term is not going to be done with ####ing niceties. Fight fire with fire for once.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #1370
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #1371
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #1372
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

People talk about the demise of the republican party and a potential sundering into Trump cult and other, but I think we will likely see the same befall the dems if that does occur. There's just too wide a gap between the President and the Manchin's of the party to the real progressive side that has emerged and frankly has more of the youth steam of the party.

Either a three party of 4 party system will emerge. Left- Mid Dems- Mid Repubs- Trumps, or the to mid parties form the ultra centrists and ballast with the two others. Either way, we are in for a period of american stagnation without massive reform imo.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #1373
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #1374
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I was trying to find that clip where reverend lovejoy says “we’ve made a false god of this Brad Goodman!”
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #1375
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I was trying to find that clip where reverend lovejoy says “we’ve made a false god of this Brad Goodman!”
Ten Commandments > Edward G. Robinson > possibly superfluous Billy Crystal
step > The Simpsons > Chief Wiggum

Those are the connections I made to this gif. Could be wrong!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #1376
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christ, Trump is gonna be the 2024 nominee, isn't he. I honestly thought he'd be much happier just golfing every day and sitting on his golden toilet at Mar-a-Lago for the rest of his life. But it just seems inevitable at this point that he's going to run again.

It's hilariously pathetic that the GOP would continue to hitch their wagon to a guy who lost them the House, the Senate, the Presidency, incited a violent insurrection, and made America the laughing stock of the entire planet. What a clown show.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/mcconne...tion-1.5325400

Quote:
Less than a month after excoriating Donald Trump in a blistering floor speech, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that he would "absolutely" support the former president again if he secured the Republican nomination in 2024.

The Kentucky Republican told Fox News that there's still "a lot to happen between now" and the next presidential election.

"I've got at least four members that I think are planning on running for president, plus governors and others," McConnell said. "There's no incumbent. Should be a wide open race."

But when directly asked if he would support Trump again were he to win the nomination, McConnell responded: "The nominee of the party? Absolutely."
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #1377
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually don’t think Trump will be the 2024 nominee. Lots can change in the next three years, including the health of an old man who comes from a family whose men have not enjoyed long lives.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #1378
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I actually don’t think Trump will be the 2024 nominee. Lots can change in the next three years, including the health of an old man who comes from a family whose men have not enjoyed long lives.
Haven’t you ever seen Weekend at Bernie’s?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #1379
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t it just Mitch saying, if he’s the nominee for my party I’ll support him? If Bubbles was nominated or Kanye as the GOP leader he’d support him too because party.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #1380
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Isn’t it just Mitch saying, if he’s the nominee for my party I’ll support him? If Bubbles was nominated or Kanye as the GOP leader he’d support him too because party.
That's what I got out of his statement, which is actually kind of worse when you think about it; if you put a dog turd on a stick and called it the 2024 GOP nominee, Mitch would support it ... because winning is winning.

Which is also only nice thing I can say about the Republicans, they understand that nothing matters if you don't win. It would be nice if the Democratic Party could understand "winning is winning" instead of tripping over themselves at every opportunity.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote