Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #81
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I still think Bennett will break out somewhere else.

All the underlying stats point that way, very similar to Domi and Lindholm before they were moved.

He needs to be given a run with a more talented two way center and I bet he will break out.
I agree so I hope he is moved to the East. I would just love a Josh Andersen for Sam Bennett trade. I think it helps both teams.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #82
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

All the underlying stats point that way, very similar to Domi and Lindholm before they were moved.

He needs to be given a run with a more talented two way center and I bet he will break out.
Domi has a great shot and is a lot more skilled. Domi's worst year is better than Bennets best year. I dont fear him breaking out elsewhere. A change of scenery likely would be good for his career though.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #83
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Except Bennett has the hockey IQ of a lychee nut. Not sure how any other team is going to harvest that.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:24 PM   #84
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I believe Bennett is better than advertised, Iv'e long felt the Flames kept him from the top lines so they could keep him at a lower salary range. Even when Bennett was scoring they saddled him with less talented players. Bennett knows it too and plays like it. We see a different Bennett come playoff time but he won't give the Flames what they during the season. I am in the camp that believes we will see a different Bennett once he gets traded.

Same thing we are seeing from Gaudreau, his nose is out of joint, he won't give the Flames anymore effort than he has to. Some think he is shying away from contact I think it is just an excuse not to give the Flames the player they want. He is not on the top line and probably not happy Tkachuk is the guy and getting paid.

They knowingly prevent themselves from winning by holding Bennett back so they dont have to pay him as much? Wow, that’s a new strategy for sure.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 PM   #85
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting it on the record that I would be so pissed off if Treliving resigns Hamonic for anything more than a bargain price; well below UFA market. That right there would show me that Treliving is clueless, and needs to be shown the door.

Get rid of your depreciating assets. Don't be holding on to them.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #86
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I floated the idea here earlier this season of a Bennett for Virtanen trade, to give a change of scenery for two former high draft picks. I got shot down pretty hard.

At this point I'm not even sure Vancouver would do that swap?
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #87
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Chiasson then Kassian?

If Neal was a UFA they would've signed him to a ridiculous contract by now. Probably around the awful albatross he is actually signed to
Chiasson makes about what a 20-25 point player makes and is at 18 points in 2/3 of a season.

Kassian got a 1.3 million raise. On par for a player scoring 30-35 points. Not massive overpays by any stretch.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:31 AM   #88
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Except Bennett has the hockey IQ of a lychee nut. Not sure how any other team is going to harvest that.
Since the AllStar break Bennett has 1 goal and 2 primary assists in 5 games while being physically engaged and competing harder than any of our forwards.

This team needs more players like Bennett, not less. Maybe that would help build a culture for the team that would help not to disappear when the games get tough. He may not be the most talented player, but he has deserved more ice time and better opportunity than he's had. All those wasted years of "easy", "safe" choices made by bad coaches just worried about their own jobs rather than the long term development of this team. Force feed minutes to Brouwer, Neal, the useless final year and a half of Frolik. Meh. Bennett isn't some supreme talent, but the team/organization would have been better off investing time and giving Bennett some positive reinforcement rather than giving other players (Brouwer/Neal) minutes that they never deserved in the first place.

Again, I'm not saying Bennett was ever or will ever be our saviour, but he has a history of being the only guy to show up when everyone else falters. How the hell did he not get promoted after 5 points in 5 playoff games last year? He was coming in hot, but yet again - boom, this team reverted right back to what failed them during key times. The decisions this team has made from a roster/line-up perspective has fostered this culture of faltering when times get tough.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-07-2020 at 12:44 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:18 AM   #89
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Problem with Bennett is that every time he has success and fees promoted he changes his game. How many toe drags did he attempt this game after he scored?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 AM   #90
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
Problem with Bennett is that every time he has success and fees promoted he changes his game. How many toe drags did he attempt this game after he scored?
Tunnelvision much?

How many times did he set up a linemate for a dangerous opportunity after he scored this game? How many times did he make generally solid plays in all three zones? In today's game alone he set up both Dube and Backlund with their best attempts of the night. In the last handful of games he's setup guys like Rieder, Jankowski, Backlund, and Lindholm for some their most dangerous attempts of those nights. How many clean breakouts does he help execute in the D zone with precise defensive zone execution with the puck? There's a ton he does not only well but noticably better than much of the team that goes unrewarded.

But sure, fixate on the toedrags as if he's the only player in the world to attempt to go around the opponent and fail (Tkachuk and Lindholm have both been guilty of comparably misguided plays in the last two games alone, and I think a few others such as Hanifin and Gaudreau).

I dunno what Bennett's upside is anymore but I know there's a few Ryan Strome or Max Domi or Dylan Strome or William Karlsson types every year who just have a glass ceiling on their success in their present stops. And I know that regardless of toedrags, Bennett is an on-ice leader to my eyes and a high motor player who sets his linemates up pretty often even if he's not the best pure goalscorer in the world (few top 9 players are elite goalscorers, and Bennett is still pretty near-average in terms of per-minute goal production most years)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #91
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This entire rumour makes me a firm believer that treliving has got to go.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #92
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Domi averaged 50 points per 82 before he was dealt.

Lindholm averaged 41 pts per 82 before he was dealt.

Bennett is averaging 29 pts per 82.

One of these is unlike the others.

Last edited by transplant99; 02-07-2020 at 06:25 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #93
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Considering the argument most people are making is playing time, did you look at points per minutes played? Power-play points? I have no idea where it would fall, but points per game is just one stat.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #94
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Considering the argument most people are making is playing time, did you look at points per minutes played? Power-play points? I have no idea where it would fall, but points per game is just one stat.
Which has nothing to do with what i was answering.

Let the mental gymnastics continue though, it is very amusing.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #95
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't get the fear to give Bennet a legit shot at a top 6 role. Put the guy up on Johnny and Monnys line for 3 weeks. Its not like that line is playing too good to take a chance, and it will give Bennet a legit look and sometime to get going. He seems to me to be the kind of player that needs to be involved in the game to excel. Lets see how he does getting 18 minutes a game
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #96
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nothing in Bennett's game makes me feel confident that he is going to break out here, nor anywhere else in the NHL:

- still takes dumb offensive zone penalties
- is only engaged physically for 7 of the 82 regular season games
- tries to put pucks thru defenders feet and dangle as opposed to going wide
- hits more shin pads than nets
- just lacks hockey IQ at the NHL level

Would be surprised if he's in the league in 3-5 years from now. What a waste of a 4th overall pick.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #97
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I agree so I hope he is moved to the East. I would just love a Josh Andersen for Sam Bennett trade. I think it helps both teams.

I would like to see that trade also. Wonder how much Flames would have to add? Maybe a 2nd?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #98
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I'm not sure why Lindholm is like Domi and Bennett is not like Lindholm when the difference in points between those 2 subsets isn't largely different.

Lindholm broke out because he got premium minutes playing with the (then) spectacular offense driver in Johnny.

It is not impossible that Bennett's best days are still ahead of him. He could become a 60 point guy in the right circumstances.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #99
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm a little concerned that Brody is the defenseman the Flames are willing to part with. It would be so Flames to overpay to keep a worse player like Hamonic and trade the better one away.
the Flames already traded Brodie in the off-season. TBH I would be looking to test the market if I were Brodie.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #100
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangi started on the fourth line, had just about zero expectations on him due to size and where he was selected.

lo and behold, he's played his way up on the second line. Not gifted. Played his way onto the second line.

Bennett shows flashes of being decent, but that just it: they are just flashes. He plays with jam and determination on occasion, not consistently.

your combination of line mates doesn't limit you from impacting they game on a physical level, but i don't know how many games the guy is invisible...believe me, there's plenty more passengers than Bennett, but there are people that seem to see a lot more in his game that what he has shown on the ice.

I don't believe he'll ever tap into whatever potential he has with this organization.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote