Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 Friedman's 31 thoughts Dec 31 - some Flames unhappy about being shuffled in/out

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ng-take-shape/

Flames related:

Quote:
7. Let’s go through a few other situations. Calgary’s got extra bodies, and some of the players shuffling in-and-out of the lineup are unhappy. GM Brad Treliving will be careful, but it is always a delicate balance when you’ve got unhappy players on a team with ambition. There is interest in Mark Jankowski, who needs a fresh start. There is interest in Sam Bennett, who was scratched on Sunday. I’m not convinced the Flames wish to do that, unless the return is impactful. But it’s something to keep an eye on.
other notables:

Justin Williams might make a decision by this weekend

teams are curious what the Pens do with their goalies. Matt Murray extension talks have ground to a halt. Any team could have had Jarry for a 2nd round pick during the summer.

interest in Saad when he becomes healthy. Edmonton looked into it but can't make the $ work.

Oilers are wary of trading draft picks

lots of interest in Kreider, but the Rangers haven't made a decision on him yet. Friedman cites examples of where the Rangers were able to re-sign players before the trade deadline and recent trades that went to the wire

Guentzel out for 4-6 months may have bought Galchenyuk more time in Pittsburgh

Kovalchuk hoping for some contenders to show more interest

Lias Andersson, Jesse Puljujarvi, and Julius Honka's respective teams are not giving them away. Want a decent return for the former 1st rounders.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-31-2019 at 11:56 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Play better and maybe you’ll stick?
Old 12-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski and Bennett are likely both gone by this deadline. They haven't panned out, and there's better players ahead of them in the depth chart that play nightly, or close to it like Dube.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there is interest in jankowski why the hell is he still on the team his value is low but every game he plays it probably doesnt help to increase it
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Jankowski used to attend a ton of Sabres games when he was a kid, grew up nearby.

The Flames recently scouting the heck out of Sabres games, sending Maloney to watch.

Coincidence? Probably.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If there is interest in jankowski why the hell is he still on the team his value is low but every game he plays it probably doesnt help to increase it
Just because there is interest doesn't necessarily mean anyone is offering anything of value to the Flames.

If the offers are a late round pick or a prospect the Flames don't see any upside to, why bother? It doesn't help them this season nor is it likely to help them down the road.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure management is well aware of the guys being upset at being moved in and out, as that was probably by design to see who they should keep or move. I doubt this will be the case after the trade deadline. No biggie.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Pens injury on the wing, I think Williams goes there. The timing of his announcement isn't coincidental.

Lias Andersson is a Bennett style of player, but not as physical. I would be ok with a swap, if Rangers add Darren Raddysh (or something of that nature) and a third.

Still think Jankowski and Frolik for Miller and Thompson of the Sabres is the best trade available that helps both teams. Thompson is coming back from injury soon.

I would make a Freidman Thought #32, and say that Backlund has looked like the odd man out in Calgary all season.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They should be unhappy about sitting out. If they aren't that's a problem.

Now the appropriate response about it would be to play better when you're in.

Looks like Bennett gets his chance tonight. Will he seize the day or squander it yet again?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
With the Pens injury on the wing, I think Williams goes there. The timing of his announcement isn't coincidental.

Lias Andersson is a Bennett style of player, but not as physical. I would be ok with a swap, if Rangers add Darren Raddysh (or something of that nature) and a third.

Still think Jankowski and Frolik for Miller and Thompson of the Sabres is the best trade available that helps both teams. Thompson is coming back from injury soon.

I would make a Freidman Thought #32, and say that Backlund has looked like the odd man out in Calgary all season.

The smart move would be to move Backlund over Bennett. Regardless, I'm sure the value would be pretty good if it comes to fruition.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

The realities of being a fringe player on a good team with depth.

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 12-31-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames can make a trade like the Hawks-Yotes last year when they shipped Perlini and Strome for Schmaltz. Can the Flames package Janko and Bennett for an upgrade in the top 6?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Just because there is interest doesn't necessarily mean anyone is offering anything of value to the Flames.

If the offers are a late round pick or a prospect the Flames don't see any upside to, why bother? It doesn't help them this season nor is it likely to help them down the road.
Earlier in the season I had the Flames pegged as a buyer at the deadline. If you’re looking to add salary, the sooner you move a guy like Jankowski the more room you create for salary at the deadline.

At this point though, I’m just not sure what the Flames will be doing in season.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #14
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The smart move would be to move Backlund over Bennett. Regardless, I'm sure the value would be pretty good if it comes to fruition.
The Rangers actually could really use a Backlund type of player to settle down their defensive side. It would be a good match for them.

They would have to add to Lias Andersson. I know everyone will immediately say Kreider, but I would rather have Andersson, Joey Keane and 2 thirds.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sammy McBennett is a warrior, if nothing else. Built for the playoffs. Unless the team isn't going to make the post-season I'm for keeping him.

Jankowski I agree could use a change and a fresh start.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #16
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The Rangers actually could really use a Backlund type of player to settle down their defensive side. It would be a good match for them.

They would have to add to Lias Andersson. I know everyone will immediately say Kreider, but I would rather have Andersson, Joey Keane and 2 thirds.
Are they going to be able to afford Strome this offseason? I’d much prefer the flames going big for him than Hall.

This goal is ridiculous... (embed isn’t working for me)
https://www.nhl.com/video/c-4919386

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 12-31-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Send Bennett and Jankowski packing, along with whichever of Brodie or Hamonic that aren't going to re-sign, and make a deal that improves the club. Jankowski needs a change of scenery. Bennett just isn't a good hockey player in any shape or form. This is a team that needs a shot of fresh blood, and like yesterday. Get another center or a RW that can score. Push Backlund down to the third line where he belongs and get on with it.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That sounds info from an agent.

Ward specifically mentioned that it was by design. Competition is a good thing. Right now the PTOs are outplaying other guys. That's nobody's fault but their own.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #19
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
That sounds info from an agent.

Ward specifically mentioned that it was by design. Competition is a good thing. Right now the PTOs are outplaying other guys. That's nobody's fault but their own.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Yep, and that's a huge indictment on Bennett and Janko because Rieder kinda sucks at NHL hockey and Rinaldo definitely sucks at NHL hockey, yet somehow they've been better this year than Bennett and Janko.

Last edited by Karl; 12-31-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As long as it's the kind of upset that motivates them to do better when they're in, then I'm good with that.

If its whining from a guy like MJ, who appears to look no better every time he draws back in, then most would be fine with him finding another home. Unless that team is Edmonton, good luck staying in the line up anywhere else with the same kind of efforts.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote