Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default factory order a truck?

Anyone order a factory build? anything I should be aware of?

I discussed ordering a 2019 Ram 1500 from dealer and they said I am locked into whatever current deals and rebates they offer and if a better deal come up between order time and when I take delivery I would automatically receive the better offer.

looking at the factory order because I can get a Ram 1500 sport with 3.92 and 4 corner air suspension with all the other options I want as well.

Thanks
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've factory ordered German cars before. Just be sure you understand all the option codes and how they potentially interact with each other. Waiting sucks, but its nice getting exactly what you want.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

they said 8-10 weeks which isn't bad
Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve factory ordered two vehicles in the past. It went great both times. It’s a great option if you’re not in a rush. Just make sure you don’t forget any options you want or assume they are already included without checking.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Find a forum for the specific model and people there probably have all the details posted. Usually the dealers get Canadian order guides, but often they won't share all the information or are clueless about the option code details.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've factory ordered several cars in the past but out of curiosity why would you need to factory order a pickup truck in Alberta? It seems the dealer lots have pretty well every color and combination available. Is there some specific trim you want that isn't common? Most manufacturers these days allow you to track your car from getting it's VIN number through manufacturing and shipping to the North American ports (or if built in north America when it hits rail) so it's kind of a cool process if you don't mind waiting.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a truck for God's sack, within two months it will be filthy and the seats will be covered with dog hair and McDicks wrappers, anything else and you are using it wrong
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It's a truck for God's sack, within two months it will be filthy and the seats will be covered with dog hair and McDicks wrappers, anything else and you are using it wrong
Mine is full of Rona and Green Acres receipts...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

On top of what Eric said, is there any advantage price wise to factory ordering?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
On top of what Eric said, is there any advantage price wise to factory ordering?
In my experience, buying a vehicle that is on-site should yield the greatest discount.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on guys...everyone knows that factories cant order trucks.

What would they even do with one?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I factory ordered my Mustang.

If you do it, make sure that not only do you understand the option features, but that your dealer does, too. I missed out on a feature I really wanted, as the dealer didn't understand the option himself.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We factory ordered our 2011 Acadia. It was the only way to get everything we wanted:
- colour
- trailer hitch
- seating configuration
- not hail damage repaired.
To get all of that from a vehicle on the lot we would have had to upgrade a lot of stuff we didn't need. So we saved thousands.

Then this year we bought an Equinox off the lot. We went in and bought on the last day of the month, and they were close to a quota. I also had the advantage of knowing the factory to dealer incentive, so we ended up getting a lot of extra features that ended up being really nice to have, for the same price that we were looking to pay for a base model.

As others have said, know what features you want, and make sure you know the codes for them. Sometimes factory ordering can get you exactly what you want; however being ready to close on the last day of the month can also get you a good deal.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #14
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dealers load up on options to get the highest margins, or for more obscure optioned or coloured cars, get allocated the odd cars from a fleet order gone wrong or things like auto shows.

And, they only order the standard colours; like not having something fully loaded, the more obscure the build or colour, the less likely it sells as quick as they want.

There is still the odd 2016 new car floating around lots, same with 2017 new cars. Good chance they don’t order those again.

So, to get exactly what you want, factory order. You don’t pay for that $5k package you don’t want because you want the blue truck. Or get the black fully loaded truck because you wanted the options but they didn’t have the colour you wanted nor did they want to trade a local dealer or put an order in. Manufacturers are getting a bit better with ala carte options then it once was.

Unless it’s end of the model year, the deal you get on something on the lot (again, if you’re not picky or don’t mind paying for options you don’t want) isn’t much better, when you factor in the cost saving of options you didn’t want, and, the satisfaction factor of getting something semi custom.

Ordered one truck from factory,and thinking of another...sunroof delete here I come.

Last edited by browna; 01-15-2019 at 09:22 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #15
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't find the Red Pearl colored Sport with a 3.92 gear ratio and all option including 4 corner air suspension. This is the reason I'm going down the factory order route
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I can't find the Red Pearl colored Sport with a 3.92 gear ratio and all option including 4 corner air suspension. This is the reason I'm going down the factory order route

In the USA, but I custom ordered my 1500 two years ago. Agreed on the price and the options before the order, so when it came in, I just had to do paperwork and drive it home. Mine too was to specify specific options and the paint color (that I have yet to see on another Ram) so it's nice having a unique one. (Black Forest Green Pearl Coat was the paint color).

6-8 weeks is probably pretty accurate, but it may come sooner. I put the deposit for mine on April 1 and it was at the dealer ready to go in less than 5 weeks. I think I got the call on 5/2, but didn't pick it up till the following Saturday since I bought it at an Idaho dealership instead of one in Portland and had to fly out to pick it up.
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Sounds like an expensive truck so if you are spending a lot of your hard earned money you owe it to yourself (providing you don't need it now) to ensure you get the colors and options you want rather than settling for a black or white truck that was on the lot. My orders have gone well for the most part but I recall my 2012 Mustang GT being delayed because there was a parts shortage on the 5.0L engines and Ford prioritized F150's over Mustangs during the shortage meaning Mustang orders were delayed.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote