Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Situation With Neighbors

Once again leaning on the CP braintrust for some advice.

I live in a threeplex, I'm the middle unit. I share a roof with the unit on the right (we are both two story homes). The unit on the left is a bungalow.

When I bought the place, I had to replace the roof. But my roof is so intertwined with the neighbor on the right, every contractor virtually told me both would have to be replaced at the same time. My house needed some other work so I made a deal with my neighbors on the right. I told them I would pay for their roof if they would paint the exterior of my house (they were already planning to paint their exterior) and fix some drywall in my place. (he's a drywaller). They agreed.

They didn't finish the exterior painting last year, but ended up getting to it a couple weekend ago and finished it off. They had a family friend do the painting. But as this family friend was finishing the was painting on one of the exterior walls, he dripped a bunch of paint onto the roof of my neighbor on my left. There are some paint drips and a bigger spill that looks like it had been attempted to be wiped up, but quite poorly.

Now the neighbor on my left is not happy about having paint on his shingles. As far as I can tell, there's no structural damage to the shingles.

I suggested attempting to removed the dried paint using paint thinner and rubbing alcohol. He's not consenting to that, saying the paint thinner will wear down the asphalt.

First of all, can he refuse attempted repairs to try and get the paint off his shingles? Can he demand the shingles be replaced?

Secondly, who is liable? Is it my neighbors on the right? Their family friend they had come and do the work? Me?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't comment on the legal liability side of things, but from a common sense standpoint, the neighbors and painter guy are responsible for the clean up. I would even explain the situation to the other neighbor in hopes of buying some time/leeway.

I think the neighbor is totally within their right to refuse your suggested fixes. If its latex paint, paint thinner is going to be of little help anyways. Alcohol can help, but I would likely think water and some light agitation (keyword on light) would work if you give the water some time to penetrate and soften the paint (ie moist cloth over area covered in something like plastic wrap to keep it moist for a couple hours).

But putting myself in the impacted neighbors shoes, they were not involved and now have painted shingles. Someone coming in and scrubbing on the shingles or using chemicals could indeed impact the efficacy of the shingles or their life. (Say you go up and scrubbed the heck out of them and removed a lot of the sand), so I don't think they're being unreasonable. I would say demanding they be replaced is a bit extreme and honestly a silly solution, since trying to patch in shingles is likely more likely to cause issues than the aforementioned fixes.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would some matching paint on the shingles make the paint spots blend in (ie. black paint or spray paint for black shingles)? That way you wouldnt affect the durability of the shingle by trying to rub off the original mistake
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Would some matching paint on the shingles make the paint spots blend in (ie. black paint or spray paint for black shingles)? That way you wouldnt affect the durability of the shingle by trying to rub off the original mistake
Might not be a bad suggestion. My neighbor is mainly worried if she will be forwarding his warranty. But I'll suggest the idea to him.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #5
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Crazy Flamer, that's a complex situation indeed.

What remedy does the neighbour to the left desire?

Paint thinner and alcohol was rejected by them. Not being a roofer, nor a painter, nor any time of handy person, I don't know how reasonable a solution that it (I mean, it may be, I honestly don't know).

Find out what they're looking for. If it's a new roof, I'd say 'no' but perhaps the shingle(s) could be replaced at a reasonable cost (especially if you have a friend that is a roofer). Again, I know nothing about this stuff, but I'd find out what solution THEY want as opposed to making a suggestion yourself.

Once you have that, then work forward.

If a buddy and a case of beer can fix the situation voila.

Ultimately, the painter should be liable. But if it was a friend of a neighbour then, following up is a little more difficult (assuming they aren't insured for painting negligence).

Thinking as I type, a buddy of mine has a painting company here in NS. I can find out how he'd fix this.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 AM   #6
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can they just have the painted shingles replaced. When I had hail damage last year that was the suggested fix for me until I found additional damage and found enough to warrant a full replacement.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:53 AM   #7
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won’t the paint just wear off in a bit, otherwise people would be out painting the roofs different colors all the time.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There is no cut/dry answer to whom is liable and to how the repairs should proceed. This is because it’s all a civil matter and resolution falls within how the 3 parties either collectively agree or thereafter what small claims court decides.
Had you hired a professional then that company would be responsible per the contract agreement and their insurance, however, that’s not the case so there’s likely more burden on you as the homeowner in being accountable for your property.

Small claims court is expensive and time consuming for everyone involved. Try to find a resolve within the parties. Possibly have the handful of affected shingles outright replaced. While you may feel rubbing alcohol would work, you’re also on the side of “what’s cheapest and easiest”. By comparison, your neighbor did nothing wrong and woke up one day to a splattered paint splotch on his roof because an unqualified painter was doing work next door. This impacted neighbor wants it fixed correctly, without potential of being responsible for further damage down the road because of this incident.

I don’t see how rubbing alcohol would deteriorate the shingles, but I also wouldn’t want to be the innocent party who agreed to the quick fix only to realize a year later the fix didn’t work and now be on the hook to repair it properly. Offer to replace the impacted shingles. That’s seems reasonable. If your neighbor asks for something outwardly like entire roof repaired, advise him to seek small claims and the burden of proof would fall on him to show the need to support such claim.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Start a whisper campaign between the neighbors and move them into a feud. Then offer to buy their homes for pennies on the dollar.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Won’t the paint just wear off in a bit, otherwise people would be out painting the roofs different colors all the time.
No. My buddy spilled some on his roof and 6 years later it still looks the same.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does the painter know about the issue? If not, I would let him know that he needs to get in contact with the neighbor and work out the appropriate fix or provide his insurance information. The neighbor isn't out of line here at all by asking that the affected shingles be replaced.

If he's refusing to cover the damages, you might need to pay for the fix and then go after the painter yourself in small claims.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sell and move to a detached home, this problem is probably the tip of the iceberg of what could come up in the future.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can you still get the same colour and shingle style? If so, you could just replace the shingles with paint drips on them. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole roof, and you wouldn't be jeopardizing the integrity of the existing shingles with paint drips on them, by using some type of cleaning agent.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with the comments above, try spray painting them as the first options. This shouldn't be too expensive to fix. Try a product like this that is made for roofing:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...5217/205717533

And if that doesn't work, then replace the affected shingles, but get the painter to pay for them. That is very poor workmanship and he/she should have told someone right away. I have worked as a painter before and when this happens it is best to tell someone and not try to hide it poorly. They are at fault and therefore, your neighbor who got them to work on it should be at fault, not you. But I am no lawyer!

Anyway, if the spray paint idea doesn't fly, then try the replacement of the shingles, I can't imagine that is too difficult to get right.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pics? Is this a total mes or a couple drops. Sometimes people are way too picky about minute things.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I agree with the comments above, try spray painting them as the first options. This shouldn't be too expensive to fix. Try a product like this that is made for roofing:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...5217/205717533

And if that doesn't work, then replace the affected shingles, but get the painter to pay for them. That is very poor workmanship and he/she should have told someone right away. I have worked as a painter before and when this happens it is best to tell someone and not try to hide it poorly. They are at fault and therefore, your neighbor who got them to work on it should be at fault, not you. But I am no lawyer!

Anyway, if the spray paint idea doesn't fly, then try the replacement of the shingles, I can't imagine that is too difficult to get right.
Realistically, all the OP can do is suggest spray paint. If that isn't acceptable to the neighbor with the damaged shingles, it doesn't happen.

Also, unless the neighbor is particularly forgiving and OP is willing to accept the liability, completing the repair is going to be done by a roofing company. I know I wouldn't have a random neighbor working on my roof if their contractor had damaged it. Imagine the gongshow that would happen next year if OP messes up the fix and their neighbor now has a leak in the roof.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #17
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The OP should put the left side neighbour in touch with the right side neighbour and their painter and tell them to resolve it.

Had OP "middle unit's" roofer damaged the left side unit when they worked on the roof of the two storey units, he would have been the one responsible for the fix and not the right side. OP shouldn't be in the middle of this, only because he's physically in the middle.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Show them your basement....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

latex paint can generally be cleaned off with hot to boiling water and a stiff bristled brush, be apologetic but emphasise you didn't do it.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many shingles are we talking about here? Why not just replace the shingles? It's fairly easy and likely quite a bit less work than cleaning the ones covered in paint.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote